Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapering for the big one in 4 weeks

• 30-09-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice from the experienced runners on here - have been training for the Dublin marathon for some months now and during Aug. and Sept. started to do weekend long runs coupled with a few 8/9 milers during the week. To date, I've done a 14, 13, 17, 19, 19, 16, and another nearly 19 miler yesterday. My question is, should I be cutting these out now completely for the next 4 weeks and stick to my 8/9 milers (2/3 per week) or is tapering a little more scientific than that ?

I'm not using any training guide, but instead just started running early enough to allow me to get plenty of miles into my legs since May/June last.

Bearing in mind that I'm a 45yo marathon "virgin" (and non-runner until March this year) carrying over 14 stone, whose aim is to come in under 4:30, so is there a specific plan I should work to from now until race day ?

Appreciate all and any comments as always

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi Jrar,

You're going well by the sounds of it. Different people and schedules have different methods which work for them. Personally, I do a longest run of 18 miles and I do the last such long run 2 weeks beforehand with the week beforehand doing something like 13 miles and very little in the last week - something which I always struggle with as the body feels it needs to run...

Last long run for me is next weekend as I taper for Amsterdam.

Regards,

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

My long runs in the last weeks to the marathon are

1st Sept - 16 miles
    15th Sept - 18 miles
    22nd Sept - Adidas Half
    29th Sept - 20 mile (a quick time in 2:34 went well - feel good today)
    6th Sept - 17.5 mile mountain run in Sligo
    13th - 20 mile before taper

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 clonsillarunner

can anyone tell me what a realistic time for the marathon is with a 1 hr 41 half marathon time?

thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Hi clonsillarunner

According to http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/rp.php and assuming you have trained appropiately for the marathon distance - 3:31 comes out

Advertisement