Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting up a website

Options
  • 30-09-2007 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I want to get a website set up but have no idea how to go about it. I want one so I can add a forum to it. Can any of you help point me in the right direction. What do I need to do to get things set up. How much per year and so on.

Many thanks Sophia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If you are looking for setting up something like boards.ie, have a look at the bottom of the home page. You will see
    Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.5

Might be a good start to google this :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Get a domain name and hosting from either www.blacknight.ie or www.hosting365.ie

Both have the ability to preinstall many web based applications. "Joomla" is a CMS - Content Management System which lets you make a very nice website without coding knowledge. Boards.ie is based on vBulletin - but a free alternative is www.phpbb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

also www.doteasy.com they also allow forums to be hosted on the cheapest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sophia84

Thanks guys, I will check them out. I am looking for something similar to boards, the forum I have up a running is a free 'myfastforum' which is not being picked up by the Google's search engine. I need something that will be picked up easily and does not cost a fortune, just a small site.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,292 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

powweb.com isn't too dear

they have three different types of forum you can install, not sure what they're like though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BSmith

I would suggest Joomla if you have a bit of time to invest into your idea. Little design or HTML knowledge required, nearly everything is easy to control, posting new content is dirt easy and making things better... Fireboard is v good at what it does, and is fully integrated.

Otherwise try phpBB, but you will probably need a designer.

Best of luck either way

Advertisement