Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a comapny

Options
  • 30-09-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    looking for a little advice here. I have a ltd company which i used for a business a few years back but which ceased trading in 2006. I have submitted zero returns to the cro and just left it lying there. A friend of mine is setting up a consultancy business and needs a ltd company. is it possible for me to "sell" the company to him? thereby killing two birds as i'm looking a lengthy messy process to shut the company down.
    many thanks in advance,
    jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

jackbauer wrote:
    hi all,
    looking for a little advice here. I have a ltd company which i used for a business a few years back but which ceased trading in 2006. I have submitted zero returns to the cro and just left it lying there. A friend of mine is setting up a consultancy business and needs a ltd company. is it possible for me to "sell" the company to him? thereby killing two birds as i'm looking a lengthy messy process to shut the company down.
    many thanks in advance,
    jack

Yes you could sell him your shares and he would own the company, then you could resign as a director.

But why would he want to fix your mess, it will cost him a lot more than just setting up his own company.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yes you could sell him your shares and he would own the company, then you could resign as a director.

But why would he want to fix your mess, it will cost him a lot more than just setting up his own company.

What "mess"? And, why would it cost more for him to take ownership of the company - would both parties not save money?

eoin_s wrote:
    What "mess"? And, why would it cost more for him to take ownership of the company - would both parties not save money?

The company has submitted zero returns.

So the mess is.

1: Having to submit all the previous returns for the company

2: Cannot avail of the audit exemption.

The cost is auditors fees for the next 2 years and for the previous returns.
    So the saving would be about 5K is accounting fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

I have submitted zero returns since the company ceased trading. all other returns up to that point were done by my accountant and submitted , tax paid etc. i always claimed audit exemption due to turnover. the company currently has no assets or liabilities all taxes are paid and i'm looking at shutting it down but thought "selling" it to my friend might be mutually helpfull as i dont need a company anymore and he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

eoin_s wrote:

What is it, about €40.00 to set up a ltd company now? You'd better be selling cheap :D

• Advertisement

jackbauer wrote:
    I have submitted zero returns since the company ceased trading. all other returns up to that point were done by my accountant and submitted , tax paid etc. i always claimed audit exemption due to turnover. the company currently has no assets or liabilities all taxes are paid and i'm looking at shutting it down but thought "selling" it to my friend might be mutually helpfull as i dont need a company anymore and he does.

You have to submit your returns even if the company has ceased trading,
    so my previous still applies

unless there is still time to submit last years return
    ie ARD in not until the next few months.

yes i have submitted my returns even after trading ceased. zero in zero out. mabey i'm ignorant of some facts here but i cant see what mess i have created.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

perhaps there was some confusion over you saying "zero returns" - i.e. people thought you made no returns, as opposed to returns stating no money in or out.

ahh i see. my bad. apologies.

eoin_s wrote:
    perhaps there was some confusion over you saying "zero returns" - i.e. people thought you made no returns, as opposed to returns stating no money in or out.

You can sell him the shares in the company and then change over the directorships.
    There is a share transfer form forget the name.

The company will have to be setup as a company that carries out the business your friend is going to do, other wise it could make the company void.

• Advertisement
Advertisement