Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs. Argentina

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

is_that_so wrote:
    Press conference on Setanta now.

Breaking news, Ireland quit rugby ^^.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

moe_sizlak banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Have to say I feel kinda relieved that its all over...the last month has been heartache
    Dont have Setanta, anything of note in that press conference?

Breaking news, Ireland quit rugby ^^.
    careful now...my finger might slip on the ban button:p

everyone that is saying EOS should quit should really **** off and stop listening to the press. decisions like this should only be made in the cold light of day.

You are really no better in my mind than the people on rte news complaining about how they spent €900 and the players didn't call out and say hello afterwards. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

O'Gara was being touted as "the second best no 10 in the world after Dan Carter" coming up to the WC. LMAO!!!
    Hernandez gave him some lesson today. The gulf between them wasn' even that of a boy versus a man, it was a lot greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

While the RWC sideshow was interesting for Irish interest, it's back to domestic rugby, and I'm looking forward to Leinster this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Yes will be good to get Leinster players home and reconditioned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

jayteecork wrote:
    O'Gara was being touted as "the second best no 10 in the world after Dan Carter" coming up to the WC. LMAO!!!
    Well you can only go on what you've seen and O'Gara's put in some great performances for Ireland in recent years. He had a poor WC but that doesn't take away from what he has done before that.

Some people have short memories round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

EOS talked all week about how predictable the Argies are and today we saw an Irish side play right into their hands. Taking the game passed 3 phases didn't occur to them. It was amazing. Hernandez might as well have worn the 15 shirt because all he did was stand back and kick it. What was our response? Kick it back to him, maybe he'll make a mistake this time. The commitment to get back in support of a runner for a counter attack was non existent. Felt sorry for Murphy because he was on a hiding to nothing. He knew he needed to keep it alive but he also knew he'd be isolated.

Lets face it we've gone backwards under Eddie. Our lineout? Catch and drive we were good at it and winning opposition ball we were good at too, not any more. Every team and i mean every team in our group took us apart at the lineout.

Our famed ball carriers were consistently knocked backwards in the tackle too by all teams. For that matter did any player make good yardage in any game? I don't think so. Darcy just got in BODS way. His yards made would probably have a minus before it. Wallace was a shadow of the player hes reputed to be. Leamy was timid and i don't say that flippantly either. Marcus Horan, Shane Horgan on the crash ball the list goes on.

ROG was a disgrace all tournament. Did P Wallace get any meaningful game time however. NO. Instead an example was made of 2 players least deserving in Stringer and Murphy.

Ps The traditional Scottish pick and drive game will find those Argies out in quarter final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

What a shambles! Fair play to Argentina. They looked as if they were enjoying themselves. Leinster vs. Munster this year should be fun! O'Gara was absolutely owned by Hernandez and Contepomi. Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of players coming through from munster? At Leinster we have Fitzgerald (who looks world class), Kearney, Lewis, etc.

As for BOD, he is Ireland's only truly world class player. Upon scoring I think he said "that's just the start!" to a few of the argentinians. I wouldn't pillory him for it. I'm sure he will be the first one to embrace Felipe and wish him the best for the rest of the tournament.

As much as I fear for Leinster in the HC I am really worried for Munster and Ulster to a lesser extent.

More importantly, EOS must go and if he has any dignity it will be tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RugBeir

Fair play to Argentina, they played well and deserved the win.

Ireland tried to get back to where they were last year but couldnt drag themselves out of whatever stupor they are stuck in.

Possession needlessly kicked away, forwards slow to breakdown, disastrous field kicking, failure in lineouts and catastrophic failure at number 10 were just some of the problems we had today.

But perhaps most glaring problem facing this team is their lack of confidence in themselves. I think it incredible that a team of such talent and experience should display such a lack of drive, cohesiveness and direction knowing what they are capable of on a good day.

One bad day is forgivable, two you can argue about, but four in a row, or 8 including warm-up matches, is inexcusable by any standard.

EOS has to take the wrap for this. He can blame anyone he likes, but he is the man in charge and he is responsible at the end of the day for our dreadful world cup performance.

The stupid contract award was the IRFUs failing and they will have to pay for that. But pay they must - and a new manager appointed - before Irish rugby can begin to recover.

RugBeir wrote:

But perhaps most glaring problem facing this team is their lack of confidence in themselves. I think it incredible that a team of such talent and experience should display such a lack of drive, cohesiveness and direction knowing what they are capable of on a good day.

One bad day is forgivable, two you can argue about, but four in a row, or 8 including warm-up matches, is inexcusable by any standard.

EOS has to take the wrap for this. He can blame anyone he likes, but he is the man in charge and he is responsible at the end of the day for our dreadful world cup performance.

I have asked many people today, with no real ideas: What has changed from 6 months ago? I don't see any obvious answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PumasFan

Hi guys, Im new here, andfirst of all I want to salute u all.

Imo, Argentina had give the best that she can. We are a really rookie team with enthusiastic players full of pride and hopes.

But lets be honest, we dont have the experience to face the final rounds. We are not Scotland, and offcourse we are not SA or ABs.

There is a great distance between our team and the others. We made improvements, we all can agree with that, but in this finals, the experts wins.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see the Pumas wining Scotland, SA, or Abs, but they are too far from us.

Argentina defeated France and Ireland becos she has nothing to lose, and France and Ireland had too much presure there, we just took our chance, but I think that we just arrived to our end.

Thats why I hink that for us its relly important to be part of a major tournament, like 6 nations or 3 nations, cos there is where we can learn and improve ourselves.

Thanks for reading me, and please forgive my bad english.

PS: I want to congrat the irish suporters for being such a good sports.

PumasFan wrote:

Imo, Argentina had give the best that she can. We are a really rookie team with enthusiastic players full of pride and hopes.

But lets be honest, we dont have the experience to face the final rounds. We are not Scotland, and offcourse we are not SA or ABs.

There is a great distance between our team and the others. We made improvements, we all can agree with that, but in this finals, the experts wins.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see the Pumas wining Scotland, SA, or Abs, but they are too far from us.

Argentina defeated France and Ireland becos she has nothing to lose, and France and Ireland had too much presure there, we just took our chance, but I think that we just arrived to our end.

Thats why I hink that for us its relly important to be part of a major tournament, like 6 nations or 3 nations, cos there is where we can learn and improve ourselves.

well done today. the pumas have had two very stong performances against fancied sides and have played with passion. I think you will beat scotland.
    I will be shouting for the pumas after the depression of this loss is over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cadrach

PumasFan wrote:

Pumasfan, you are really overrating Scotland or underrating Argentina. Even before the World Cup, most people here would expect Argentina to beat Scotland. After the great performances in the group stages, Argentina will be hot favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Argentina will hammer the Scots.

Pumasfan, be proud of what your team have achieved. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Marty DiBergi

RugBeir wrote:
    Fair play to Argentina, they played well and deserved the win.
    Jello wrote:
    A sad day with another bad perfromance, best of luck to the Argies though, hope they do well.

It must be great to be an Argentinian rugby supporter tonight. More power to them. Had a specific game plan for each outing. They have an obvious team spirit and FC, in interview after the game, admitted how they don't have the one to 15 game that other countries have. Their second try tells a different story. It was a fairly easy win in the end IMO. There are a number of questions/proposals:
    1.Are the current set of players just a team in decline? Too much intense rugby by the same set of players for too long? How does the average age compare to other teams? Some of the Argentinian players looked much older than our lads.
    2.How come Ireland appeared to be very short on attacking ideas? It's as if they can't react to the unfolding of the game in real time. Best to analyse the video afterwards.
    3.Where did all the big hits go? You know the type I'm talking about. The crowd go "oof" and the TV producer can't wait to get the replay on again.I remember BOD putting a huge hit on a French player but I can't recall many more.
    4.Pride and passion will help you win more 50:50 ball and maybe intimidate some of the opposition. Pride and passion without a clever game plan (and a back up plan) wont win you matches. Team spirit is much more important. I remember the old days when we had bags of passion.We fought valiantly for 60 minutes and always got stuffed in the end.

I think we may have been deluding ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

ronoc wrote:
    everyone that is saying EOS should quit should really **** off and stop listening to the press. decisions like this should only be made in the cold light of day.

You are really no better in my mind than the people on rte news complaining about how they spent €900 and the players didn't call out and say hello afterwards. :mad:

I don't think anyone is really listening to the press too much. Ireland didnt perform to anywhere near their potential and that failure ultimately lies with
    EOS. He has a well paid job and this tournament should have been a benchmark to whether he could continue in his post. Unfortunately IMO the IRFU dont agree and he will stay on.

Gareth Jenkins got his marching orders despite Wales playing some attractive rugby and at least going down with a fight and whilst I think it may be a bit harsh I doubt he will be the only one looking for another job after the tournament.

I hope that we can find some of our passion and flair again but I fear Eddie has lost control in the dressing room and is now bereft of ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pumas fan 2

Hi PumasFan & Hi all of you.

As you can read in my nick I am also a Pumas fan, and argentinian too, but I don´t agree with you.

It´s true that the Pumas are an "enthusiastic team full of pride"

They learned to be like that in their clubs, in Argentina, where they learned the fundamentals of the game.

But it is also true that the Argentinian National Team has grown a lot. Since a few players started to play in Europe to now, when all players are "stars" in some of the most important teams (Bristol, Stade Francaise, Montpellier, Perpignan, Wasps, etc.etc.) our Pumas have travelled a long way. And I am proud of them

And I also beleive they can beat the scots and be a tough rival to South Africa (If they defeat Fiji.....)

It is also true that the great difference between the Pumas and other national teams is that in our country rugby is still amateur. The infrastructure you have in Europe, SA, NZ and Australia is completely different to what we have in our country (wich is almost none).

But things are changing. You can see now many young players, with lots of skills, "pushing" to be replacements of Pichot, Fernandez Lobbe, Scelzo, Hassan, Ledesma, Longo and others. Of course they are playing in Europe at this time, with a few exceptions.

I beleive that if we introduce some changes in the structure of our local championships, allowing, for instance, the creation of some professional teams, in the near future we´ll have even much better players.

Argentinian players demonstrated, in the last years, that in similar conditions they can make a difference, probably based on the phrase I quoted form you at the beggining of this post: They are enthusiastic and full of pride.

I also apologyze for my english and I send my best wishes to all the irish people in this site.

PumasFan wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Hi PumasFan & Hi all of you.

As you can read in my nick I am also a Pumas fan, and argentinian too, but I don´t agree with you.

It´s true that the Pumas are an "enthusiastic team full of pride"

They learned to be like that in their clubs, in Argentina, where they learned the fundamentals of the game.

But it is also true that the Argentinian National Team has grown a lot. Since a few players started to play in Europe to now, when all players are "stars" in some of the most important teams (Bristol, Stade Francaise, Montpellier, Perpignan, Wasps, etc.etc.) our Pumas have travelled a long way. And I am proud of them

And I also beleive they can beat the scots and be a tough rival to South Africa (If they defeat Fiji.....)

It is also true that the great difference between the Pumas and other national teams is that in our country rugby is still amateur. The infrastructure you have in Europe, SA, NZ and Australia is completely different to what we have in our country (wich is almost none).

But things are changing. You can see now many young players, with lots of skills, "pushing" to be replacements of Pichot, Fernandez Lobbe, Scelzo, Hassan, Ledesma, Longo and others. Of course they are playing in Europe at this time, with a few exceptions.

I beleive that if we introduce some changes in the structure of our local championships, allowing, for instance, the creation of some professional teams, in the near future we´ll have even much better players.

Argentinian players demonstrated, in the last years, that in similar conditions they can make a difference, probably based on the phrase I quoted form you at the beggining of this post: They are enthusiastic and full of pride.

I also apologyze for my english and I send my best wishes to all the irish people in this site.

Congratulations to Argentina and I will be supporting them in the final stages. You are a credit to rugby and I hope that we can see you playing in the Seven Nations soon!

When your No. 10 doesn't play well it doesn't matter what the rest do. BOD is a different class and Murphy played very well albeit without any kind of support.

Again, congratulations to Argentina! Viva ARgentina!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What a shambles! Fair play to Argentina. They looked as if they were enjoying themselves. Leinster vs. Munster this year should be fun! O'Gara was absolutely owned by Hernandez and Contepomi. Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of players coming through from munster? At Leinster we have Fitzgerald (who looks world class), Kearney, Lewis, etc.

As for BOD, he is Ireland's only truly world class player. Upon scoring I think he said "that's just the start!" to a few of the argentinians. I wouldn't pillory him for it. I'm sure he will be the first one to embrace Felipe and wish him the best for the rest of the tournament.

As much as I fear for Leinster in the HC I am really worried for Munster and Ulster to a lesser extent.

More importantly, EOS must go and if he has any dignity it will be tomorrow!
    According to reports on sky, (and credible I believe) as in their reporting during the match, Felipe has little time for anything Irish. He doesn't like any of the Irish or O'Sullivan....So what's he doing here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

mbonsoir wrote:
    Just seen the slow motion repetition of Ireland's try.

What O'Driscoll shouts at the Argies on his way back shames me. He was the only light out there. Now I wish he gets punished for un-sporting behaviour.

Disgraceful, like the entire campaign.

What did he shout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

walshb wrote:
    Felipe has little time for anything Irish. He doesn't like any of the Irish or O'Sullivan....So what's he doing here

Studying at the College of Surgeons.

walshb wrote:
    According to reports on sky, (and credible I believe) as in their reporting during the match, Felipe has little time for anything Irish. He doesn't like any of the Irish or O'Sullivan....So what's he doing here

What's with all the felipe bashing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

walshb wrote:

I don't know about that. I kinda got the idea that he didn't like ROG, Leamy and DOC. So it seems more of a Leinster player disliking Munster players. He's also best mates with D'Arcy.

I've no idea what interactions he'd have with EOS so have no idea where any dislike would come from there.

[shockhorror]It wouldn't be like Sky to stir things up would it? [/shockhorror]

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

walshb wrote:

thats total rubbish, sky have never been accused of being 'credible' before:rolleyes:

He has been studying here for years and gets on really well with the leinster guys. There is bad blood with the munster players as they have targetted him for abuse in some on the games between the two provinces, but thats it. He pointed out himself today that there are 3 players who always give him constant abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

I think some of you are underestimating the Scots. They don't have the quality to trouble too many but they have a game plan that could well dismantle the argies. They're a big physical side and won't be pushed around, the argies haven't played anyone yet that could match them physically so it will be interesting.

Then, we'll see how Argentina handle the unfamiliar role of favourites in a quarter final of the WC, pressure's going to be on them for once. Let's not forget, this Argentina side just recently lost to Wales. They ARE beatable, if you get the gameplan right, something neither we or the French managed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hello to our Argie newbs :)

Be proud of your team, you have played great stuff so far! I think you will beat Scotland if you keep your heads.

Lets face facts though lads, all of this is interesting local colour before the real rugby players come along. SA, AB, OZ... everyone else is going to be a greasey spot on the pitch against them.

But for now, congrats Argentina, you thoroughly deserve it and you can certainly beat Scotland. I'll be betting a few pounds on it!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Boys in Green, the pumasfan would like to invite you to support our "Pumas" against Scotland, next Sunday at Woolshed.

It would be nice to see yous cheering for us.

We can even organize a warm up on Saturday to support Australia :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

argentina are notoriously fickle in soccer , lets hope that isnt the case with the rugby team , there now favourites going into the quater final against scotland so there is a greater degree of pressure on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I always feared since the day of the HC semifinal in Lansdowne Road that Contepomi would get his own back on the Munster guys who targeted him for abuse and cheap shots that day, and that it would be when they were wearing green and he was wearing blue and white.

If you notice, all his mind games-blowing kisses, patting guys on the back and saying thank you for easy penalties, were to Munster players. I saw him do it to O'Connell and O'Gara. I believe Leamy is his real nemesis and I didn't see him saying too much to our number 8 but, hey, the guy's not a complete idiot.

I've also seen Contepomi quoted as saying he's close to many of the Leinster players, especially Gordon D'Arcy.

Thanks a lot. We also hope to be playing in a Seven Nations Tournament soon. It will help a lot to the development of our Rugby.

But we need the help of the Irish Union, as well as other European Unions, on behalf of the IRB approval.

Thanks again & best wishes to all.

Congratulations to Argentina and I will be supporting them in the final stages. You are a credit to rugby and I hope that we can see you playing in the Seven Nations soon!

When your No. 10 doesn't play well it doesn't matter what the rest do. BOD is a different class and Murphy played very well albeit without any kind of support.

Again, congratulations to Argentina! Viva ARgentina!

Thanks DeVore. And, of course, best luck with your bet.....

DeVore wrote:
    Hello to our Argie newbs :)

Be proud of your team, you have played great stuff so far! I think you will beat Scotland if you keep your heads.

Lets face facts though lads, all of this is interesting local colour before the real rugby players come along. SA, AB, OZ... everyone else is going to be a greasey spot on the pitch against them.

But for now, congrats Argentina, you thoroughly deserve it and you can certainly beat Scotland. I'll be betting a few pounds on it!

DeV.

Advertisement