Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheard in Dublin - program/software used

Options
  • 30-09-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I'm just wondering does anyone know the program used on sites's like overheardindublin.com? One that allows people to post stories and admin to categorise them?

I've tried emailing the site owners but it bounced back saying the mailbox was full.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of something that would allow me to build a site like that it would be great.

Thanks,
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's probably a custom written site, it's written in PHP, probably with a MySQL backend.

You could probably use a CMS such as Joomla to create a similar site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

If you do a bit of googling, you'ill probably find lots of scripts that already exist that do the work for you. Hotscripts would be a place you should look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You also might consider this:

http://www.indymedia.ie/oscailt/

Oscailt - similar format to the site you posted, and also free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I know this was asked a while ago but I was recently looking for the same software so thought I may as well include it here.I eventually realised I could do it with wordpress bloggin software and various plugins and widgets. All in all it took about a day to put together after I fixed the few bugs when trying to get plugins working. See my sig for results :) I'd used wordpress before and so found it fairly easy to use doing this. If you haven't used wordpress before it's extremely easy so don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

seamus wrote: »
    It's probably a custom written site, it's written in PHP, probably with a MySQL backend.
    Doubt it - it looks very 'samey' to me.

OP - what about vbulletin?

• Advertisement
Advertisement