Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban Irelands Call.

• 30-09-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Can we please ban that bloody song, my blood boiled as the announcer of todays match said he was going to play the NATIONAL Anthems of Argentina and Ireland, come on like its The Soldiers Song (Amhrán na bhFiann) that is our Anthem you could even see the boys when it was played they didnt have any heart in it, its the Irish Rugby Team so play bloody Amhrán na bhFiann i dont care if it upsets certain people living on this Island The Soldiers Song is our Anthem , Ban Irelands Call i say, Ban it now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Amhrán na bhFiann is the national anthem of Northern Ireland now? I never knew that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

its irelands athem in sports where we play as a island
    when they play as the republic they play Amhran na bhFiann, and northern ireland play Londonderry air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ireland's call wouldn't even motivate mr. motivator, that being said what's this got to do with after hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Cremo wrote:
    ireland's call wouldn't even motivate mr. motivator, that being said what's this got to do with after hours?

because "after hours" of play we still didn't get out of the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Steyr wrote:
    The Soldiers Song is our Anthem , Ban Irelands Call i say, Ban it now.

It's the anthem of the Republic, not the north

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Wrong forum tbh. Thread really belongs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Not another thread with this argument :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spook_ie wrote:

Because if it was in the rugby forum the thread would be locked in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yeah because that is really why ireland didnt play well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't think that's what's being said - rather there's the whole political question.
    Personally I think Ireland's Call should be banned... because it's so fuking awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Its Ireland who play and its a terrible song, so play the Soldiers Song. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Spook_ie wrote:

think theres a joke there some where

;)

only messin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Just in case...

I don't want this moronic ****e moved to Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Do people really believe that a song is to blame for the poor performance of a sports team?

I've heard some poor excuses in my time, including grey jerseys, bad managers, biased refs to name but a few, but this takes the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Steyr wrote:
    Its Ireland who play and its a terrible song, so play the Soldiers Song. Simple as.
    Play 'Londonderry Air' instead, how about that?

Terry wrote:
    Do people really believe that a song is to blame for the poor performance of a sports team?

I've heard some poor excuses in my time, including grey jerseys, bad managers, biased refs to name but a few, but this takes the biscuit.

Its nothing to do with that its a matter of National Identity.

RuggieBear wrote:
    Just in case...

I don't want this moronic ****e moved to Rugby.
    I wouldn't do that to you.

It belongs here, along with the racist taxi drivers and their racist passengers, Lizard David Icke look-a-likes and toilet paper colours.

Terry wrote:

No, its just a crap annoying song and no one gets behind it.

No, its just a crap annoying song and no one gets behind it.
    I've only heard it once, and I agree that it is really crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the ROI soccer team have been ****ing awesome with Amhrán na bhFiann being played...

Personally i'd get rid of all that prematch ****e, anthems meeting the president, Bertie etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah they should definitely ban Irelands Call....replace it with something more apt...perhaps The Birdy Song. ;)
    As nationalist leaning as I am, I can still understand and accept why Amhrán Na BhFiann isn't played...but they really could have picked something a bit more uplifting and maybe a tad traditional, something that still kept everyone happy.
    As for it having any bearing on our play...
    :rolleyes:

Steyr wrote:
    Yep. Simple as. One can't really argue with such an excellent, well-thought-out point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Steyr wrote:

The Irish rugby team consists of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. If it was just the Republic of Ireland then the soldiers song would be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Steyr wrote:
    ... the announcer of todays match said he was going to play the NATIONAL Anthems of Argentina and Ireland ...
    In fairness, if the announcer referred to Ireland's Call as the national anthem of Ireland, that was incorrect.

Realistically, there is no "national" anthem which represents the island of Ireland, though I accept that those of strong republican beliefs may have a different view on that one. :)

Ireland's Call is the sporting anthem used by rugby and some other sports where a combined all-island team is fielded. Even if the majority of people felt that it was a "crap annoying song" and there was a need to change, it would be no more appropriate to play Amhrán na bhFiann for an all-island team than it would be to play God Save the Queen or The Londonderry Air

Actually screw that. I'm with the OP lets ban Irelands call. Lets play the banana phone song instead.

It's a really dumb view - and I would be quite nationalist in my outlook. It's a refusal to recognise Northern Ireland as a separate entity - whether you like it or not (and I don't) N.I. IS a separate entity to the 26 counties and it is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Pretending that this isn't the case is idiocy.
    Actually screw that. I'm with the OP lets ban Irelands call. Lets play the banana phone song instead.
    Now you're just being silly. He said Amhrán na bhFiann should be played... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ban it, and they should ban the haka aswell, that gives new zealand such an advantage the way it gets them fired up, and the other tream stand there looking.

Its a terrible song, and nobody gets behind it so ban it.

Terry wrote:
    ... toilet paper colours.
    I missed that one! Someone linkeh, quick!!!!11!!11 :rolleyes:

Come on, folks, it could be the farking Fields of Athenry

/pukes
    Dudess wrote:
    Now you're just being silly.
    Lol ... I kinda think that was what he was going for, Dudess! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

They should play Out of Space by The Prodigy.

Ah come on!!! Surely you didn't think I was being serious??!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

timmywex wrote:
    ban it, and they should ban the haka aswell, that gives new zealand such an advantage the way it gets them fired up, and the other tream stand there looking.

Yeah I agree. The haka is just showboating. I think Ireland's Call is seriously cheesy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

+1 for the banana phone song.
    I always get bleary eyed when I hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd rather not have teams that dont solely represent the glorious irish nation using our national anthem thanks very much. :)

I think irelands call is perfect for the O2 island of ireland all stars but..bland, corporate, inoffensive and full of cliches. If they managed to get some placement references to lucozade and kellogs nutrigrain they'd be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I've been saying it for near 3 years now. It's terrible and while we're at it can we ban the "Fields of Athenry" from ever being sung again ...........ever........by anyone.......sporting event or not.....ever.

I've been to Athenry a few times and the fields there are nothing special at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

irelands call is absolute manufactured ****!we played amhran na bhfiann before,why not again??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

We all know the Riverdance should be played with the players showing us Irish dancing skillz, take that Haka. :)

eroo wrote:
    irelands call is absolute manufactured ****!we played amhran na bhfiann before,why not again??
    That's because the game was in Croke Park - on Republic soil. I think.

I think the song is quite rousing.I enjoy it more than the national anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dublindude wrote:
    They should play Out of Space by The Prodigy.

or "Smack My Pitch Up"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

eolhc wrote:
    yeah because that is really why ireland didnt play well :rolleyes:

But if it was...

They should play Journeys Don't Stop Believin'!

Dudess wrote:
    Am.I am pretty sure that it was Ireland's call in Croker!

I missed that one! Someone linkeh, quick!!!!11!!11 :rolleyes:

Come on, folks, it could be the farking Fields of Athenry

/pukes

Lol ... I kinda think that was what he was going for, Dudess! :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055150581

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

irelands call, has become part of the irish identity and is at the heart of irish rugby, its a bit of an embarrassing song, but it sacred now, and will forever be played before irish rugby matches, people who don't like it being played should be ashamed of themselves and should say ten amhran na bhfianns as penance

Weren't both Amhrán na bhFiann AND Ireland's Call played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ejmaztec wrote:
    or "Smack My Pitch Up"

:)

Or Beat Boy by Bronski Beat. If our players do some kind of gay dance along to the song it might scare the opposition too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Both. Both anthems are played at games played in the Republic, only Ireland's Call is played at "home" games in the North (all two of them in 50 years..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"my mocha laté has a first name its D R I C O..."

Anto McC wrote:
    ... while we're at it can we ban the "Fields of Athenry" from ever being sung again ...........ever........by anyone.......sporting event or not.....ever.
    + 111 !!
    Dudess wrote:
    I think you're right, not sure ... I have a vague memory that they have played Amhrán na bhFiann when matches are played in the Republic ... as the anthem of the host nation ... followed by Ireland's Call as the sporting anthem of the actual team (and of course the anthem of the opposing team as well).

On the other hand, I may be thinking of the Presidential Salute (which is a shorter version of the chorus of Amhrán na bhFiann played when the President is in attendance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

But if it was...

They should play Journeys Don't Stop Believin'!

On the fu***** ball! I'd be lovin that.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement