Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban Irelands Call.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

eolhc wrote:
    irelands call, has become part of the irish identity and is at the heart of irish rugby, its a bit of an embarrassing song, but it sacred now, and will forever be played before irish rugby matches, people who don't like it being played should be ashamed of themselves and should say ten amhran na bhfianns as penance
    LMAO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Actually screw that. I'm with the OP lets ban Irelands call. Lets play the banana phone song instead.
    Altogether now...ring ring ring ring bananafoooooone! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MYOB wrote:
    Both. Both anthems are played at games played in the Republic, only Ireland's Call is played at "home" games in the North (all two of them in 50 years..)
    Ah, thanks, MYOB.
    I missed that one! Someone linkeh, quick!!!!11!!11 :rolleyes:
    Terry wrote:
    I'd say "spot the sarcasm, Terry", except I know damn well you did! :p:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ban it, it's not distinctive or inspiring, it's too "safe"

It's not like we haven't any other tunes

Instead of singing a soldiers song how about singing about it ?
    We're on the one road
    Sharing the one load
    We're on the road to God knows where
    We're on the one road
    It may be the wrong road
    But we're together now who cares
    North men, South men, comrades all
    Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal
    We're on the one road swinging along
    Singing a soldier's song

Maybe drop a few lines ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We should use 'The Boys are Back in Town' by Thin Lizzy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think you're right, not sure ... I have a vague memory that they have played Amhrán na bhFiann when matches are played in the Republic ... as the anthem of the host nation ... followed by Ireland's Call as the sporting anthem of the actual team (and of course the anthem of the opposing team as well).
    Which if they play England games in Belfast give the fantastic option of them playing GSTQ followed by Irelands Call for the Irish team and then GTSQ. I think that the After Hours server would expolde if such a situation were to occur with all the outrage.

Shame they didn't move the 6 Nations games to Belfast rather than Croke Park really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How about playing he song that tops the charts that week. It will reflect what the people of Ireland are actually listening to. :D

robinph wrote:
    Which if they play England games in Belfast give the fantastic option of them playing GSTQ followed by Irelands Call for the Irish team and then GTSQ. I think that the After Hours server would expolde if such a situation were to occur with all the outrage.
    :D

Hadn't thought of that ... would be wierd, irritating and kind of funny all at the same time, all right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i think we should rob la marseillaise, now there's a good anthem.

seriously though, Phil Coulter should be exiled for the abomination that is Ireland's Call. in fact I'd rather see him hung drawn and quartered with each quarter encased in a box with walls of lead one foot thick and sent to a different continent so he'll never ever be able to commit such an atrocious act of composition again but then we do have some of those soft and fluffy type here who are against the death penalty...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tonymontana

I think it should be banned. Other sports such as equestrian and boxing which represent the whole of Ireland have no problem with our national anthem. I would rather hear Amhran na bhFiann and the Northern anthem played together then that piece of crap they call an anthem.

The goverment should not really allow it, no other country in the world would.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Other sports such as equestrian and boxing which represent the whole of Ireland have no problem with our national anthem.
    There is no island of Ireland teams for those sports, its just some people from NI choose to represent the Republic and some choose to represent the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

This is why Micheal Collins shouldn't have signed that Treaty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lezizi wrote:
    This is why Micheal Collins shouldn't have signed that Treaty.
    :rolleyes:

Everyone knows if he hadn't been assassinated he would probably have got the six counties back. I blame Dev for a lot. Though he isn't responsible for "ireland's call" he should take a lot of the blame for permenant partition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows if he hadn't been assassinated he would probably have got the six counties back. I blame Dev for a lot. Though he isn't responsible for "ireland's call" he should take a lot of the blame for permenant partition.

Please Dev? This is clearly all ecksors fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Irelands call always reminds me of seargent bilco for some reason. Thats not a bad thing but I doubt thats its intended purpose :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tbh, i like the patrioism of irelands call, and do sing along, but have really missed Amhran na bhFiann being played, what i dont get is that flag, but then thats for a totally new thread

<run's off to think up new thread>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

in a Democracy the majority rule, and i bet a majority of people would want our National anthem not Irelands call.

But oh no the PC people will be up in arms "its not the anthem of the north blah blah"

In that case we should have an anthem that has nothing to do with Ireland, in case the PC people get upset with that too.

Yet another case where a minority of people enforce their will on a majority, and thats as undemocratic as it gets. :mad:

irish-stew wrote:
    tbh, i like the patrioism of irelands call, and do sing along, but have really missed Amhran na bhFiann being played, what i dont get is that flag, but then thats for a totally new thread

<run's off to think up new thread>
    That flag is there for exactly the same reasons as they are playing Ireland Call, the team is not representing the Republic of Ireland.

magick wrote:
    in a Democracy the majority rule, and i bet a majority of people would want our National anthem not Irelands call.

But oh no the PC people will be up in arms "its not the anthem of the north blah blah"

In that case we should have an anthem that has nothing to do with Ireland, in case the PC people get upset with that too.

Yet another case where a minority of people enforce their will on a majority, and thats as undemocratic as it gets. :mad:
    Well, we're actually talking about two democracies here ... possibly the majority of the people in the Republic would vote for Amhrán na bhFiann, though I wouldn't be at all sure in these circumstances, but I would guarantee the majority of the people in Northern Ireland would not vote for it, so where does that leave your argument?

Sometimes democracy is about coming up with a workable compromise that pisses nobody off too much, and, insofar as possible, pisses everyone off equally.

Ireland's Call probably fits that description fairly well! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

robinph wrote:
    That flag is there for exactly the same reasons as they are playing Ireland Call, the team is not representing the Republic of Ireland.

but then their not representing the republic in dublin either, they just happen to be playin there

• Advertisement

Please Dev? This is clearly all ecksors fault.
    And just who do you think was ecksor's grandfather ???

Well, we're actually talking about two democracies here ... possibly the majority of the people in the Republic would vote for Amhrán na bhFiann, though I wouldn't be at all sure in these circumstances, but I would guarantee the majority of the people in Northern Ireland would not vote for it, so where does that leave your argument?

Sometimes democracy is about coming up with a workable compromise that pisses nobody off too much, and, insofar as possible, pisses everyone off equally.

Ireland's Call probably fits that description fairly well! :D
    You could work it on percentages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

DaveMcG wrote:
    Play 'Londonderry Air' instead, how about that?
    Nah that's shíte, Amhrán Na bhFiann is much better and most people would prefer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Amhrán na bhFiann is a song which represents the politcal reality a 26 county Ireland.
    Ireland's Call is a song that represents a the ideal of a 32 county Ireland.

Which is closer to what Republicans want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

i think we should come up with a totally new anthem.... we could call it "God Save Amhrán na bhFiann" :D

Why don't we get some dj to do a remix of Amhrán na bhFiann and God save the queen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Why don't we get some dj to do a remix of Amhrán na bhFiann and God save the queen?

sounds like a plan

irish-stew wrote:
    but then their not representing the republic in dublin either, they just happen to be playin there
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ruen wrote:
    Nah that's shíte, Amhrán Na bhFiann is much better and most people would prefer it.
    Probably. But then you'd probably end up with the nordies calling for a Northern Ireland rugby team, and I personally prefer it the way it is.

I don't really mind Ireland's Call btw...

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Amhrán na bhFiann is a song which represents the politcal reality a 26 county Ireland.
    Ireland's Call is a song that represents a the ideal of a 32 county Ireland.

Which is closer to what Republicans want?
    What's wrong with Republicans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Terry wrote:
    What's wrong with Republicans?
    He didn't say there was anything wrong with Republicans. What are you on?

Where did I say there was anything wrong with them? They support a united Ireland. The Irish rugby team realises this on a non-political level. Amhrán na bhFiann is a song of a 26 county Ireland, yet most Republicans seem to want it played rather than Ireland's Call(which might be a shíte song, but represents a 32 county ideal nonetheless).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chucks

Im embarrassed for my country when I hear Irelands Call. I used to be able to get over it when our anthem was also played but not now

The reasons for it being played do make sense, represnting both states etc

Either play both our anthems, or come up with a new song in place of that cringeworthy crap. People wonder where our teams passion have gone....

Also get rid of that stupid flag while we're at it. Id happily see them walk out to both our tricolour and the Northern flag instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

English translation of the National Anthem:
    Soldiers are we
    Whose lives are pledged to Ireland
    Some have come
    From a land beyond the wave
    Sworn to be free
    No more our ancient sire land
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave
    Tonight we man the gap of danger
    In Erin's cause, in death or life
    'Mid cannon's roar and rifles' peal
    We'll chant a soldier's song

I have a problem with that. I'm not a soldier, I do not wish to be one and my life is not pledged to Ireland. How can I sing along to that in good conscience? Ireland's Call might be crap but so is Amhrán na bhFiann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

How many people out there actually know the words to Amhran na bhfiann?? at least with irelands call people can actually sing along

Puck wrote:
    English translation of the National Anthem:
    Soldiers are we
    Whose lives are pledged to Ireland
    Some have come
    From a land beyond the wave
    Sworn to be free
    No more our ancient sire land
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave
    Tonight we man the gap of danger
    In Erin's cause, in death or life
    'Mid cannon's roar and rifles' peal
    We'll chant a soldier's song
    Actually, that's not a translation at all, it's the original version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Ah excuse me, copied the wrong column of text. The soldier thing stands though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

AnB is the anthem for the republic, not the island of ireland.

When the irish rugby team play in the republic they play AnB, when they play away they play irelands call.

Thats a fair arrangement i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

I like Canada's theme better. Let's use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Irelands Call for new National Anthem...Great stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

it can only be "Don't Cry For Me Argentina":D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

ah go on, will ya sing the feckin song...trust me it grows on you after a while:p

altogether now 1 2 3...

Come the day and come the hour
    Come the power and the glory
    We have come to answer
    Our Country's call
    From the four proud provinces of Ireland
    Chorus

Ireland, Ireland,
    Together standing tall
    Shoulder to shoulder
    We'll answer Ireland's call

From the mighty Glens of Antrim
    From the rugged hills of Galway
    From the walls of Limerick
    And Dublin Bay
    (Chorus)

Hearts of steel
    And heads unbowing
    Vowing never to be broken
    We will fight, until
    We can fight no more
    For the four proud provinces of Ireland
    (Chorus)

chucks wrote:
    Either play both our anthems
    Well that would be God Save the Queen and Amhrán na bhFiann then. But I'd guess you'd have more of a problem with that combination so...
    chucks wrote:
    or come up with a new song in place of that cringeworthy crap.
    ...they came up with Irelands Call instead and they only get to play Amhrán na bhFiann at home games because otherwise all the anthems would end up taking too long.

The only way that Ireland will get to do Amhrán na bhFiann at away games as well is if they can convice the IRB that it is supposed to be done as a Haka, otherwise they are stuck with playing the one tune for both the countries that are being represented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

DaveMcG wrote:
    Probably. But then you'd probably end up with the nordies calling for a Northern Ireland rugby team, and I personally prefer it the way it is.

I don't really mind Ireland's Call btw...

Let them! I'd love to see how well they do. They play for Ireland which everyone associates with the Republic anyway (just ask any yank or basically anyone not from Ireland) and they know what people think so the players realise they are basically playing for Ireland.
    philstar wrote:
    Come the day and come the hour
    Come the power and the glory
    We have come to answer
    Our Country's call
    Chorus

That use of the word country should piss them off since they aren't playing for the country of Ireland but the island of Ireland. We must get rid of this song now! Who's with me?

For the record, it doesn't bother me that much that we don't play the national anthem (I can just about remember the words from learning it in primary school) but I despise Ireland's Call.

Fergalicious would make a good anthem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

whats norn irons anthem ?

MooseJam wrote:

God save the queen is it not?

Well either that or Fergalicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

MooseJam wrote:

God Save the Queen isn't it?

God Save the Queen isn't it?
    That would be the official anthem, as in the rest of the UK. They play Londonderry Air as the rugby anthem, afair.

That would be the official anthem, as in the rest of the UK. They play Londonderry Air as the rugby anthem, afair.

That sounds shíte, they should def use Fergalicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement