Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban Irelands Call.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

That would be the official anthem, as in the rest of the UK. They play Londonderry Air as the rugby anthem, afair.

so if norn iron were playing england they would play god save the queen twice ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nope, I think he reckons that saving her hide once per match is more or less his duty done. :p

God Save the Queen is the official anthem of the United Kingdom. It is often used as the anthem for England as well, especially if they are playing countries outside the UK. However, if playing one of the "home" countries, they often use others such as Land of Hope & Glory or Rule Britannia. The English cricket team seem to use Jerusalem fairly consistently recently.

For sporting purposes, Scotland normally uses Oh Flower of Scotland, Wales uses Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau and Northern Ireland uses Londonderry Air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

cmoney wrote:
    i think we should come up with a totally new anthem.... we could call it "God Save Amhrán na bhFiann" :D

FYI before Amhrán na bhFiann the Unofficial Anthem of Ireland was indeed " GOD SAVE IRELAND". God Save Ireland was the unofficial national anthem of the Irish Republic and the Irish Free State from 1919 to 1926, when it was displaced by the official Amhrán na bhFiann.

The song was written by T. D. Sullivan in 1867, and first published December 7th 1867, inspired by Edmund O'Meager Condon's speech on the Manchester Docks. When the three Manchester Martyrs (Michael Larkin, William Phillip Allen, and Michael O'Brien) were executed, the song was adopted as the Fenian movement's anthem.

LYRICS ARE:

High upon the gallows tree swung the noble-hearted three.
    By the vengeful tyrant stricken in their bloom;
    But they met him face to face, with the courage of their race,
    And they went with souls undaunted to their doom.
    "God save Ireland!" said the heroes;
    "God save Ireland" said they all.
    Whether on the scaffold high
    Or the battlefield we die,
    Oh, what matter when for Erin dear we fall!1
    Girt around with cruel foes, still their courage proudly rose,
    For they thought of hearts that loved them far and near;
    Of the millions true and brave o'er the ocean's swelling wave,
    And the friends in holy Ireland ever dear.
    Oh, what matter when for Erin dear we fall!
    Climbed they up the rugged stair, rang their voices out in prayer,
    Then with England's fatal cord around them cast,
    Close beside the gallows tree kissed like brothers lovingly,
    True to home and faith and freedom to the last.
    Never till the latest day shall the memory pass away,
    Of the gallant lives thus given for our land;
    But on the cause must go, amidst joy and weal and woe,
    Till we make our Isle a nation free and grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think you're right, not sure ... I have a vague memory that they have played Amhrán na bhFiann when matches are played in the Republic ... as the anthem of the host nation ... followed by Ireland's Call as the sporting anthem of the actual team (and of course the anthem of the opposing team as well).

Which would explain why they played God Save The Queen last month in Ravenhill... wait, they didn't :rolleyes:

They play Amhran na bhFiann at any match played in the Republic and Ireland's Call at -all- matches; it has nothing to do with "host country".
    I think it should be banned. Other sports such as equestrian and boxing which represent the whole of Ireland have no problem with our national anthem. I would rather hear Amhran na bhFiann and the Northern anthem played together then that piece of crap they call an anthem.

The goverment should not really allow it, no other country in the world would.

Cricket and rugby league as well as other all-island sports use Ireland's call; and what the hell do the Government have to do with this?
    That would be the official anthem, as in the rest of the UK. They play Londonderry Air as the rugby anthem, afair.

They don't - Northern Ireland has no rugby team, in both codes it participates as part of a island of Ireland team. Londonderry Air is used for Northern Ireland at the Commonwealth Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chucks

robinph wrote:
    Well that would be God Save the Queen and Amhrán na bhFiann then. But I'd guess you'd have more of a problem with that combination so...QUOTE]

Well no, they could use that londonderry song

Ive never heard it so could possibly be completely inappropriate, Im not sure of the political aspect of it

chucks wrote:

Ive never heard it so could possibly be completely inappropriate, Im not sure of the political aspect of it

Its instrumental. Most common set of lyrics laid over it is "Danny Boy" which I'm sure you've heard?

I think you're right, not sure ... I have a vague memory that they have played Amhrán na bhFiann when matches are played in the Republic ... as the anthem of the host nation ... followed by Ireland's Call as the sporting anthem of the actual team (and of course the anthem of the opposing team as well).
    MYOB wrote:
    They play Amhran na bhFiann at any match played in the Republic and Ireland's Call at -all- matches; it has nothing to do with "host country".
    OK ... you say they play Amhrán na bhFiann at any match played in the Republic ... I said they played Amhrán na bhFiann at any match hosted in the Republic ... what's the difference? :confused:
    MYOB wrote:
    Which would explain why they played God Save The Queen last month in Ravenhill... wait, they didn't :rolleyes:
    I never said they did.
    MYOB wrote:
    They don't - Northern Ireland has no rugby team, in both codes it participates as part of a island of Ireland team.
    I'm well aware, as should be obvious from my other posts in this thread. I will, however, concede that I mistyped ... I meant to write "sports anthem", not "rugby anthem". Apologies for any confusion caused!

OK ... you say they play Amhrán na bhFiann at any match played in the Republic ... I said they played Amhrán na bhFiann at any match hosted in the Republic ... what's the difference? :confused:

Your text implied they played the anthem of the "host nation", which isn't true.

What I was trying to emphasise was that they were playing Amhrán na bhFiann because the match was being played / hosted in the Republic, not because it was the anthem of the Irish rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Irish rugby is an All Ireland concern - same as the country itself should be. The division is ****e. I live in Ulster and love rugby but because of the schooling system, for the most part Protestants play rugby and Catholics play the GAA. I hate this. In England no one gives a sh1t what you are. I love GAA and rugby and soccer but I hate being labelled. Hopefully within my lifetime this country can be reunited properly and then there will no bollocks about anthems - we can just get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

This should really be a poll but ye i dont know WTF this irelands call bollox is but whenever im in the pub and thats on i get very pissed off and i tend to go to the jacks or the bar or whatever because its a ****ing load of ****e.

I mean if i want to drunkanly sing my countries national anthom when our team is playing we should be able to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There should not be an extra need for motivation for these lads...They are professionals, getting paid, to play rugby in a World Cup...for their country - that should be motivation enough.

Having a tri-colour or a national anthem or anything else will not change p1ss poor performances and blaming the anthem is the worst scape goat that I have heard...

Anyway, it may not be a great song but it is catchy, easy to learn the words (rather than people singing "Sionna Fianna Fail...la la la la la la..la la...Amhrain na ...C'mon Ireland) and if sung properly can be pretty rousing.....

Anyway, enough of this nonsense - anthems, hakas and flags don't win World Cups and if a player need these for motivation I would prefer to see them dropped.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

But the thing is, technically, its not our team. It's the island of ireland conglomerated all stars. Or something.

Lot of history there, whatever you say, say nothing, ( between meself and yerself, that shower played the british army during the tan war don't you know. steel helmets for goalposts and all that. ) All friends now though. Hands across the border and all that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Maybe we should go back and adopt the anthem played in the 1987 World Cup (thank you trivia thread starter)......

A Chorus of "Rose of Tralee" anyone?...

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Instead of this debacle about the National Anthem vs Irelands call (dreadful sh1te, btw), why not pick something more appropriate:

Lost in France as sung by Bonnie Tyler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

A much simplier solution would be just to ban the rugby team

Silly egg shaped nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

now im not a rugby head but i have become interested with ireland doing well in the past few years.what gets my blood boiled is when someone who has only seen two rugby matches in their lifetime starts complaining about **** like this and trying to change it.fact is this is a divided island so playing amhran na bhian is like saying we should play god save the queen aswell.no dont get me wrong i love my country and im from the south,but not letting go of little things like this is why north/south relations are what they are.so stop being stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

User45701 wrote:
    This should really be a poll but ye i dont know WTF this irelands call bollox is but whenever im in the pub and thats on i get very pissed off and i tend to go to the jacks or the bar or whatever because its a ****ing load of ****e.

I mean if i want to drunkanly sing my countries national anthom when our team is playing we should be able to
    Nothing's actually stopping you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Maybe scrap the all-island team and the problem goes away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Where does this thread belong is the ceist?

AH (general rant)
    Politics (Amhrán na ... vs NI anthem)
    PI (personal rant)
    Music
    Sports - Rugby

I couldn't care less what song they play. I know I'm Irish and take a certian pride in that, but trivial sh1te like this does nothing.

It's how they played (and in our case, didn't). Back to the drawing board lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Red Alert wrote:
    Now I have no idea but I'll assume that your for the idea of a united Ireland for the moment. If that is the case how does getting rid of an all-island team and creating a new partition of the rugby teams that never existed before help with the aim of eventually merging NI into the Republic at some point? Surely you should be for anything that combines the two states more and more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Steyr wrote:
    FYI before Amhrán na bhFiann the Unofficial Anthem of Ireland was indeed " GOD SAVE IRELAND". God Save Ireland was the unofficial national anthem of the Irish Republic and the Irish Free State from 1919 to 1926, when it was displaced by the official Amhrán na bhFiann.

The song was written by T. D. Sullivan in 1867, and first published December 7th 1867, inspired by Edmund O'Meager Condon's speech on the Manchester Docks. When the three Manchester Martyrs (Michael Larkin, William Phillip Allen, and Michael O'Brien) were executed, the song was adopted as the Fenian movement's anthem.

LYRICS ARE:

High upon the gallows tree swung the noble-hearted three.
    By the vengeful tyrant stricken in their bloom;
    But they met him face to face, with the courage of their race,
    And they went with souls undaunted to their doom.
    Oh, what matter when for Erin dear we fall!1
    Girt around with cruel foes, still their courage proudly rose,
    For they thought of hearts that loved them far and near;
    Of the millions true and brave o'er the ocean's swelling wave,
    And the friends in holy Ireland ever dear.
    Climbed they up the rugged stair, rang their voices out in prayer,
    Then with England's fatal cord around them cast,
    Close beside the gallows tree kissed like brothers lovingly,
    True to home and faith and freedom to the last.
    Never till the latest day shall the memory pass away,
    Of the gallant lives thus given for our land;
    But on the cause must go, amidst joy and weal and woe,
    Till we make our Isle a nation free and grand.

Ah the old Wolfe tones number :) i never knew that was once Ireland's Unofficial Anthem of Ireland one time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

eroo wrote:
    irelands call is absolute manufactured ****!we played amhran na bhfiann before,why not again??

Do you even watch Rugby? We only play our national anthem when we are playing a home game. So Lansdown/croke park etc.
    Never for away games.

Maybe Ireland's call should be changed to something better... maybe Northern Ireland should get their own anthem like Scotland or Wales and not use God save the Queen.

However, no matter what way you look at it... the fact we played so bad is nothing to do with Ireland's call... in fact some of the players cry during Ireland's call. Flannery for one. Although there was no emotion for the Argentina game i noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Saruman wrote:
    .. in fact some of the players cry during Ireland's call. Flannery for one. .

This may be the problem should we be including big jessies who cry over a song in our rugby team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

ThatGuy wrote:

I couldn't care less what song they play. I know I'm Irish and take a certian pride in that, but trivial sh1te like this does nothing.

It's how they played (and in our case, didn't). Back to the drawing board lads.

Agree 100%

• Advertisement

Surely all this immigration is bringing some fresh blood? We could do with a couple of fast Nigerians or some big ex military Poles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I've never liked this song, and to be honest I can see how it could make a slight difference in a game. Take the Argentena game for example, when their national anthem was been played every man sang with passion and heart, one guy was crying for feck sake, then 'Irelands Call' comes on, a couple of the lads singing and most of the lads just looking almost embarrassed. Game starts, the Argies are bound to be pumped more with adrenalin and hunger to do their country proud. Anyone who's stood on a pitch while the national anthem plays, will tell you the profound effect it has, it raises you, wills you on, makes you proud. Ireland's call needs to be KILLED OFF, a minute's silence would be better than that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Amhráin na bhFiann at the end of a night club, what's up with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Everyone cheer up - it's Monday!

Phil Coulter has created the blandest (quasi-) anthem ever. It is the magnolia of anthems. We're just using it wrong.

They shouldn't play it until after the match and only if the Irish team loses. Far more motivating than the present situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

ThatGuy- I consider this Thread a Personal Rant from OP due to his selfish and ill-tolerant views.

Looks like some people still want (mindset) apartheid to continue in Ireland, accept the best of Northern Irish players to play for you under your own conditions and still expect the best performance and unity in return. It hypocrisy, bigotry and “Ill-tolerance at it worst” on your part.

I am Proud of my city to overcome bigotry in the history of Limerick Rugby where men of all status rich doctors to poor roughneck, despite which god they pray, political turmoil and bigotry of others over the years. They respect each other determination still proudly play together with passion for the sport.
    As a poor Catholic Roughneck from Limerick, I don't care about what you think, As long as you give it all on the Pitch, because there is nothing like a passionate hard decent game no matter what the game nor team we play, and not like the ass holes as the saying goes "the hurler on the ditch".

OP, You would do us all a favor to keep that blood boiling and rotch it up a few notches. and for any bigots out there against "Prod's" clearly do not know our own long history of Irish freedom and about those people who struggle for it and sacrifice their lives, to help us to achieve it and our own betrayal and backstabbing which help to delay us in getting a unified island freedom sooner. Those Days are now not an option because of our own Nation backstabbing, betrayal, bigtory views.

As for Anthems, the only anthems, I care about is the "Field of Athenry" as it is sang through all games, before during and after the Match. Ask Any Player about it and the pride it gives them and the boost in spirit to drive on when thing are hard. We been through many hard times in sport and or lives and we survive and still return to give it all.
    This Anthem has been hijack and twisted by bigots to their own selfish cause.
    This Anthem is about those bigots who tried to force and bully their will on others and despite all obstacles, and consequences, they continue to support in spirit and fight on with life, and make the best of what is left.
    These are people who lived and experience hard times and still determine to go on. This is the Type of People I truly respect. They do not speak of revenge, they rise above it and take on the punishment head on and still not let others break their spirit.

The Sprit of the Field of Anthery applies to the Northern players over that last century due to our country apartheid views about anthems and other things. For those Hurlers on the ditch that do not know the words Here they are.

“The Fields of Anthery”

By a lonely prison wall
    I heard a young girl calling
    Michael they have taken you away
    For you stole Trevelyn's corn
    So the young might see the morn
    Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay

chorus
    Low lie the Fields of Athenry
    Where once we watched the small free birds fly
    Our love was on the wing we had dreams and songs to sing
    It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry

By a lonely prison wall
    I heard a young man calling
    Nothing matters, Mary when you're free
    Against the famine and the Crown
    I rebelled they ran me down
    Now you must raise our child with dignity

By a lonely harbor wall
    She watched the last star falling
    As that prison ship sailed out against the sky
    Sure she'll wait and hope and pray
    For her love in Botany Bay
    It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

Why replace one Master (Crown) with hypocritical, racial Bigotries, who are more insecure than the original? Better the devil you know.

• Advertisement

which help to delay us in getting a unified island freedom sooner. Those Days are now not an option because of our own Nation backstabbing, betrayal, bigtory views.

eh?

Timmeh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'm so sick of hearing people moaning about this. My own 2 cent worth:

Ireland's Call has terrible lyrics, but is a good ol' tune. It is representative of the 32 counties, which is the main thing.

Amhrann na bhFiann on the other hand, I seriously dislike. This is coming from someone who knows it backwards, and one of the verses. I bet 95% of you guys didn't even know there were verses! I don't think it is a good tune at all, and the lyrics have precisely nothing to do with Ireland as it is today. I frankly find it rather obnoxious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally lyrics mean nothing for me in an anthem, it's all about the tune. Look at the French or the Italians. Their anthems are brilliant and we can't understand a word of them. Ireland's Call is woeful whereas at least people got up for the game when Amhran na bhFiann was played before the football at Lansdowne. I loved how the roar went up during the final bars. It meant the crowd was behind the team and was the 12th man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Red Alert wrote:

baby with the bathwater ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Xavi6 wrote:
    Personally lyrics mean nothing for me in an anthem, it's all about the tune. Look at the French or the Italians. Their anthems are brilliant and we can't understand a word of them. Ireland's Call is woeful whereas at least people got up for the game when Amhran na bhFiann was played before the football at Lansdowne. I loved how the roar went up during the final bars. It meant the crowd was behind the team and was the 12th man.

Or 16th man. As it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tonymontana

Surely if we are going to be completely representitive, we should play the Polish anthem, seeing that there is about 200,000 of them here, probably more than the entire population of Unionists on the island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Rob_l wrote:
    A much simplier solution would be just to ban the rugby team

Silly egg shaped nonsense!

Please go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Bambi wrote:
    eh?

Timmeh!!

Just to give you a brief Introduction in our own history and struggle for freedom for the clueless.
    I quote Recent (Last 150 Years) Irish Heroes to nail my point. These are Irish Heroes who saw injustice, and rise beyond religion and status. They risked their own comfortable lifestyle to fight for Freedom and against injustice.
    Charles Stewart Parnell (Son of a Protestant Father)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Stewart_Parnell

PADRAIG PEARSE (English Father) Irish Mother – Father Convert to Catholics for Business reasons.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padraig_Pearse

ROBERT EMMET CASEMENT- NATIONALIST AND ORATOR (Protestant) ex-British diplomat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Casement

Micheal Collins had to execute traitors who happened to be Catholics, Our own people betraying us to the English by giving them Intel on our forces.
    The 1798 Rebellion with the slaughter of protestants in Wexford amongst other events which change many Protestants view of been united with Catholics, in which Catholics backstabs our allies for our freedom.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1798_rebellion

Maybe we should hold a "your a star" and pick a new anthem to replace both of them.
    Soldiers song is rubbush. I just read the lyrics to it. Im not even sure how it represented 1907 Ireland let alone 2007.

limklad wrote:
    They risked their own comfortable lifestyle to fight for Freedom and injustice.

lol... Timmeh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Saruman wrote:
    Maybe we should hold a "your a star" and pick a new anthem to replace both of them.
    Soldiers song is rubbush. I just read the lyrics to it. Im not even sure how it represented 1907 Ireland let alone 2007.

this coming for the guy who said the Nazi's werent that bad, perfect example of whats wrong with Ireland today

magick wrote:
    this coming for the guy who said the Nazi's werent that bad, perfect example of whats wrong with Ireland today

What the hell??? I think you have a case of mistaken identity there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've only seen Ireland put in one decent display in the last twelve months and that was after all the hype about the English national anthem being played at Croke Park, so maybe the should consider that for Rugby matches:rolleyes: :D

As a foreigner, let me say this; I hate God Save the Queen as our anthem, not only is the tune crap, but it is a sycophantic monarchist's song and it bears no reflection on the England of today. I much prefer Jerusalem, because it is a song that calls for the country to become a better place which is what I believe an national anthem should be.

is the Irish national anthem reflective of today's Ireland as a whole? I think a song that calls for an end to bigotry and looking forward to a time when all Irish people protestant, catholic, unionist or nationalist can live together despite their differences would be a much better idea, any song that talks of one sides victory over the other is not exactly going to help unification if and when it happens.

OK Ireland's call may be crap, but I think the idea is spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^

that would make a refreshing change, i'd be up for that tune:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Don't Cry For Me Argentina went by unnoticed, but on second thoughts, perhaps God Save The Queen would be better. If that one is sung, then it will have the psychological affect of making it look like it's the English who never win anything.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ejmaztec wrote:
    Don't Cry For Me Argentina went by unnoticed, but on second thoughts, perhaps God Save The Queen would be better. If that one is sung, then it will have the psychological affect of making it look like it's the English who never win anything.:rolleyes:

:D

tonnes of hype by the media, talk of world class players, the "Golden Age", best national team ever blah blah blah then four crap performances and exit world cup to calls for the managers head.

welcome to the world of an English football fan :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

this should be our new anthem.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ejmaztec wrote:

Huh? England hold the rugby world cup, first northern hemisphere team to ever win it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

indough wrote:
    Huh? England hold the rugby world cup, first northern hemisphere team to ever win it

I know, but I wasn't talking about the English team.:D

Advertisement