Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban Irelands Call.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

robinph wrote: »
    Which if they play England games in Belfast give the fantastic option of them playing GSTQ followed by Irelands Call for the Irish team and then GTSQ. I think that the After Hours server would expolde if such a situation were to occur with all the outrage.

GSTQ is used for NI football and it was funny a few weeks ago when NI played Liechtenstein in Belfast.

There was an announcement "We are just about to play the anthems. Fans should be aware that both of them have the same tune (At this point NI fans cheer). Could the Northern Ireland fans please allow the Liechtenstein fans to sing their anthem first?".

The NI fans did just that - much better than when Liechtenstein played England in Vaduz. The English fans didn't know what was going on and sang both times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slightly, but not much, off topic.

When the Rugby crowd speak of the "Six Nations" Trophy who the fnck are the "Six Nations"?

I can only come up with five: England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy and who else?
    Please don't say Ireland because there is no such Nation.
    It's neither the Republic of Ireland nor Northern Ireland.
    Theses countries are both easily identifiable by having National Anthems.
    So exactly on what list of Nations does this mythical place called "Ireland" exist?
    And where did they get that shyte song they try to pass off as a National Anthem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What a terrible excuse for an arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

despite the fact that ireland was united for 1000's of years before the north was partioned

and the fact irish is our language

despite the fact that the people who call it londonderry and want god save the queen to be played should not even be in this country unless they want to abide by our rules our sutoms and identify themselves as whatever they want to british or senegelease but if they live in ireland then they are to be called an irish citezen

amhrann na bhfiann is our anthem , that is the fact.

ireland - irish - irfu

so where is the british or london or english in those terms ?

would they get offended by the name , by the color of the jerseys ?

do they get annoyed by being called irish ?

they were born in ireland not england.

green - white - orange

as for amhrann na bhfiann yes it does make refrences to the english coming over , but is that not the truth ?

they robbed 1/5 of our country

now i will finish with a qoute , not a historic qoute as that has been done , but a qoute from an irish hip hop group called ''marxman''

''once upon a time there was irish ways and irish laws
    villages of irish blood , waking to the morning good
    but england and her soldiers came , started centuries of shame
    raped our women stole our grain , called this land a different name
    killed their leaders killed their young but to the sword the gun or hung
    history thought this to me but what you learn is a travesty
    im sayin no slayin is playin it right and death is the legacy of the fight
    but i fight for peace against injustice , a time has come to discuss this
    SAD AFFAIR

i had a dream of days to come when orange only meant the summer sun
    and not this knife that cuts apart , a nations soul a nations heart
    a 1000's tears my mother shed , sons a daughters have died and bled
    i cannot forget their brave example , thank you all for whom i trample

people have been this strength for too long , or how long to sing this sad song
    connoly said tha we should raise again , and surely one day this pain must end

some say thats a bridge too far , and some they say ''tiocfaidh ar lá'' (come the day - and come the hour - ireland call - hmm)
    some pretend the problems dont exist , some attack and some resist
    its a SAD AFFAIR

some say one day our day will come , the race is won we know the outcome
    the tide is on the side of the green , the butchers apron no longer seen
    but all i know is that peace must win and i tought this was ireland not britain

a six county state is a bastard state , so why oh why cant we all integrate ?

i feel like a stranger in the land where i was born , i guess i just have to wait for a new dawn
    its a SAD AFFAIR

ireland was always a nation

always , so what is your point there ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

rofl.

ye

good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Puck wrote: »
    English translation of the National Anthem:

I have a problem with that. I'm not a soldier, I do not wish to be one and my life is not pledged to Ireland. How can I sing along to that in good conscience?

You've never heard of a metaphor then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For those who do not know what this is about....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIxe5ooQtqI

yes , methaphors dont seem to be understood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

'Tis terrible. Don't really care what they play before a Rugby match.. But it's certainly not the National Anthem of Ireland. It's a compromise to suit the Loyalist planters. This is Ireland, not Britain. Majority rules. We call the shots. If we want Incy Wincy Spider to be the anthem, then it will be so.

Enough of this compromise to suit these planters. Next they'll have us singing God Save the Queen and will paint our phoneboxes red.

well , that is exactly what the y are planters

if i take a 100 people to th epharoe islands , can i call it my country ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

conor2007 wrote: »
    i feel like a stranger in the land where i was born , i guess i just have to wait for a new dawn
    its a SAD AFFAIR

The 1900's called, they want their political views back.

its still a fact

doesnt matter what year is in question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

well , that is exactly what the y are planters

if i take a 100 people to th epharoe islands , can i call it my country ?

that depends on how hawt they are

yes

that was alomost funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ok im sure it been said before but ill say it again. The Irish rugby team does not represent the Republic of Ireland therefore the national anthem will not be played. Nor should it be. Irelands call is a song that represents the island of Ireland as a whole, just like the rugby team does.

The quality of the song is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Listen conor, there's terrorist scum from both sides on this island that sauntered out of jail on free license as one of the compromises for peace on the island, yet I don't hear all the families or friends of those that that scum killed or injured, robbed or mauled be even half as vocal as you bunch of militant idiots that shout down the small compromise that's been made here for the good of the sport.
    Please STFU & GTFO. kthxbye.

My original views on Ireland's Call stand....it's sh*te, get something decent to replace it that all sides can agree on.

the difference is , thisi our island

the loaylist paramiltary are just thugs and have no reason for fighting

the ira , were freedom fighter , fighting for a cause

once they saw that cause as done or seen that politics was the way to win they disbanded

have the loyalists disbanded ?

so wtf is ur point ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

once they saw that cause as done or seen that politics was the way to win they disbanded

so wtf is ur point ?

Fighting for a cause? So the death of innocent civilians is part of "Fighting for a cause" is it?

Cop onto yourself, the "Freedom Fighters" were just as bad any Loyalist paramilitaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

so wtf is ur point ?
    You my friend have gone off topic. You can claim its all our island all you want but that wont make it so. Ask the UN if your in doubt.

No you see it's not our island...as I'm sure anyone who voted in the referendum on the Good Friday agreement will tell you, we as a nation signed away our ONLY constitutional claim on the North in return for some magic beans.
    Ergo, it is not our Island. QED.

There are just as many idealistic devoted loyalist paramilitaries and scumbag bastard drug dealing provos to offset your rose-tinted view of this land. The ony reason the shinners hung up their boots was for £$€, cashmoney, nothing else. In a lot of more hardline republican circles, SF/IRA are seen as just turncoats, every bit as bad as the other side.

We're getting away from the point at hand here, that point being that the replacement of the National Anthem with [whatever] is a compromise, because we have players from both regions playing for one team and under one flag. It's a very small compromise, one that at the bottom of it all doesn't really hurt anyone...at least not in the way that some compromises on this island have hurt.
    If you can't get that simple little fact into your head and realise that when push comes to shove, it doesn't really matter a f*ck, then I don't know....you have bigger problems than Irel;and's Call...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it should banned purely for the fact it was written by that smarmy git Phil Coulter and I hate positively everything about the guy and his work.

If it was up to me I'd throw the beardy little fecker into the middle of a rugby scrum and let the pituitary-retards stomp on him til he's flatter than our World Cup performance.

it is our island
    just because planters came over a couple of hundred of years ago and settled in a place that was there thousands of years ago
    does not make it their land

no , but at least the overall justification for fighting were there

the loyalists are and were in the wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

who bumped up this thread??:rolleyes:

If you're just gonna spout the same old half arsed rhetoric then I can't be bothered debating it with you.
    Just out of curiousity define "Our" where you've used it in the context of "our island"

our - the irish people

anyone born in ireland , on the island of ireland

any of the four provinces , any of the island of it , and of the 32 counties

it is our island
    just because planters came over a couple of hundred of years ago and settled in a place that was there thousands of years ago
    does not make it their land

no , but at least the overall justification for fighting were there

the loyalists are and were in the wrong

Again, bull****.

How can you possibly attempt to make excuses for Republicans actions?

They're scum, who wrongly claim the title of "Óglaigh na hÉireann" and are nothing more than criminals....... Nothing close to the "Freedom Fighters" people make them out to be.

our - the irish people

Ah right, it's Our Ireland.
    I should have you note that for the most part all those loyalists you have such a problem with were all born on this island, as were their fathers and their father's fathers.
    So, by your logic, it's their island too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

our - the irish people

yeah you tell them

Now to find the last remaining pure blooded Fir Bolg so the rest of us can hand over the island and live in Hong Kong.

How about "the boys are back in town"

or a true rugby song something like "The Ball at Killiemuir"

yes , it is their island
    called ireland , as it was for years before their fathers father father etc ..
    came here as planter

they are freedom fighters , catholics have been oppressed by the planters and their government

but now that they have been made equals and are in government the ira has disbanded

has any loyalist group disbanded ?
    NO

no

irish people are made up of many people

so your fir bolg argument is pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

And the most nonsensical post award goes to...
    no

irish people are made up of many people

so your fir bolg argument is pointless

Poccington wrote: »
    They're scum, who wrongly claim the title of "Óglaigh na hÉireann" and are nothing more than criminals....... Nothing close to the "Freedom Fighters" people make them out to be.
    If I'm not mistaken they had the title "Óglaigh na hÉireann" before the foundation of the State so the title was usurped from them.

how does it not make sense

if you were born in ireland , you are irish

• Advertisement

Okay so one minute it's our island (loyalists out, burn the queen etc.), then it's our island (including loyalist scum and their da)?
    You should give Dempsey lessons on u-turns.

I don't know what any of this has got to do with rugby....I equated the compromise of victims of terrorism to allow early release for their tormentors with the small compromise that we make as a nation when allowing a different flag and song to represent the Ireland team for the good of the country....you alight on that and drag the thread off topic and can't even tack together a valid point?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how does it not make sense

if you were born in ireland , you are irish
    /pulls up chair - can we get this moved to TCM please

Ok what about the hundreds of thousands of immigrants who have had kids here or the old trick of flying in from the middle east to have your kid born in the Royal Victoria in Belfast and thus get them a UK and an Irish passport in addition to your own one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I honestly have no problem with the rugby team having a different anthem, if you have unionist players who want to play alongside players from the south you should compromise.

The problem is that Coulter's Call is bloody awful. A dog with a hammer up his arse could have written something better.

The song is embarassing and needs to be changed but whatever replaces it should reflect the all island approach which the team does.

Hagar wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken they had the title "Óglaigh na hÉireann" before the foundation of the State so the title was usurped from them.

The Irish Volunteers originally used it, as they did when they became the IRA for 3 years before the Anglo Irish Treaty was agreed upon. Then the Volunteers/IRA became members of the Free State Army apart from those that refused to accept the terms of the Treaty. By the way, I know you more than likely know this, so don't take those few sentences as me being a tosser.

So since the DF comes directly from the Free State Army, which in turn comes from(In the most part) the Irish Volunteers. The DF would be the organisation that can rightfully claim the title of "Óglaigh na hÉireann". As well as the fact that they're recognised by the Government as the only legitimate Army of Ireland.

But the whole argument depends on whether the person looking at the argument supports the IRA or not IMO.

i never siad loyalists out

if they dont accept they are irish , living on the island of ireland

then yes , get out

go home , literally , go home to where they see home as , ''britain''

• Advertisement

Why do the Unionists have a loyalty to a Dutchman?

They see their home as britain/the UK and like it or not that's where they were legally born. That's not going to change. I don't agree with their mindset or their tactics over the years but that's where they're coming from....the most you will ever have them do is admit they are northern Irish....but they will always be British first in their own eyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

jaysus.. you would think conor actually believes there was some sort of nation or united Ireland before the Brits invaded. It almost seems to me he believes soldiers song was around before then and everyone sang it with Pride in their country....
    instesad of course that there was no nation of Ireland, there was a load if different kingdoms or whatever they called themselves and some savage called Brian Boru went on what can only be described as a Terrorist campaign to slaughter anyone in his way and b e declared King of Ireland. Im not sure he succeeded, and if he did then you can be damn sure there were people resisting him.

Anyway, what the hell has this crap got to do with Rugby?

well actually they high king of ireland ?

h eprobally never had full power

but the irish have been in ireland , and in fact had control of much of britain before the angles and saxons invaded

so , good man , try to have facts before you go on a rant

I think it's about the fact that the IRFU claim to represent Ireland but won't accept the Irish National Anthem.

irish rugby football union

or something to that effect , what is the irish anthem ?

amhrann na bhfiann , end of

irish rugby football union

or something to that effect , what is the irish anthem ?

amhrann na bhfiann , end of
    actually its the chorus of a Irish translation of a song first written in English

Soldiers are we
    whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
    Some have come
    from a land beyond the wave.

Sworn to be free,
    No more our ancient sire land
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
    Tonight we man the gap of danger
    In Erin's cause, come woe or weal
    'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal,
    We'll chant a soldier's song.

by your lack of comment I would guess you concur that the children of immigrants born here are irish.

I think that refers to returning diaspora not Lithuanians or Scots.

it can be interpretated many ways

anyway , the people born here are irish

no matter what they think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

yeah you tell them

Now to find the last remaining pure blooded Fir Bolg so the rest of us can hand over the island and live in Hong Kong.
    Yeh that would be me. My Great Grandfather x300 was playing for the fir bolg team against the Tuatha Dé Danann, a bunch of faeries that crowd were. Hand over the keys, and off with ye, yihs celtic, norman and viking blowins :rolleyes:

The fir bolg haka to replace Irelands Call :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement