Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban Irelands Call.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Poccington wrote: »
    Again, bull****.

They're scum, who wrongly claim the title of "Óglaigh na hÉireann"

How do you work that out?:confused:

Poccington wrote: »
    The Irish Volunteers originally used it, as they did when they became the IRA for 3 years before the Anglo Irish Treaty was agreed upon. Then the Volunteers/IRA became members of the Free State Army apart from those that refused to accept the terms of the Treaty. By the way, I know you more than likely know this, so don't take those few sentences as me being a tosser.

So since the DF comes directly from the Free State Army, which in turn comes from(In the most part) the Irish Volunteers. The DF would be the organisation that can rightfully claim the title of "Óglaigh na hÉireann". As well as the fact that they're recognised by the Government as the only legitimate Army of Ireland.

But the whole argument depends on whether the person looking at the argument supports the IRA or not IMO.

Of course the Irish Volunteers used it. It a direct translation of 'Irish Volunteers.'

Your last sentence is absurd in its attempt to brand anyone who doesn't agree with your highly questionable interpretation as an IRA supporter.

The fact that the Defence Forces is recognised by the state as the only legitimate Army of Ireland has nothing to do with the rights to use a particular name. The Irish Army does not use the English version 'Irish Volunteers' so the Irish version of the name is a misnomer. It is a professional Army, not a volunteer army.

The IRA continued to exist after the Anglo-Irish War and I imagine that the curious appropriation of the name 'Óglaigh na hÉireann' for the Free State Army was some kind of ploy to keep a very unhappy rump in that Army placated as they were forced to carry out assassination after assassination of their erstwhile colleagues. Its continued use in the modern era for a professional Army is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Rosita wrote: »
    The Irish Army does not use the English version 'Irish Volunteers' so the Irish version of the name is a misnomer. It is a professional Army, not a volunteer army.
    And yet the buttons on the Irish Army uniform are emblazoned with "I <Harp> V", Irish Volunteers.
    The Irish Govt. inhabit a schizo world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

conor2007 wrote: »
    it can be interpretated many ways

anyway , the people born here are irish

no matter what they think
    even if they can't speak english or irish and are deported back to africa to wait until they are old enough to come back without their parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Am I the only one who thinks Irelands Call is so bad that it probrably added to our problems in the World Cup? I think its a terrible 'anthem' (glorified pop song) and I just dont see how anyone could be motivated by it. If anything it sounds awful and is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

There is nothing really wrong with the song itself. It is a poor compromise however given the bollocks of a political situation our country is in. I don't know if the Ulster players are particularly Unionist any of them, but certainly plenty of the supporters are.

Some twats (and good decent folk) support Ulster and I am from Ulster and love rugby so it would be the natural team for me to support tbh. I have applied for some jobs in Dublin and were I to be successful I can see a wee switch to Leinster being on the cards.

Jigsaw wrote: »

There is nothing really wrong with the song itself.

I have to agree. It's amazing the amount of people who seem to have little or no musical normally bu suddenly develop into musical afficianados when criticising 'Ireland's Call'. Certainly the crowds at matches have little problem joining in and it has been known to bring players to tears which many critics appear to ignore. As far as I can see this song is generally along the lines of the average national anthem in its sentiment and beat.

Those such as the previous poster who think that Ireland's Call has anything to do with the adverse World Cup performance is living in cloud cuckoo land. (It didn't do Ireland any harm on the last two successful visits to Twickenham.) It is amazing how nonsense such as this manages to gain wide currency in the clamour for excuses after the World Cup. I believe that there is a strong argument for the Irish national anthemto be played at away internationals as happens at home but I refuse to believe it materially affects performance either way. If you are reduced to deluding yoruself that a song will raise your performance to the required level you may as well forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Irelands call is pants, and to use a rugby expression "should be kicked to touch" :cool:

Bring back Amhrán na bhFiann. The passion which that instills in the players is worth a few points, I've no doubts. When it was played v England in Croker, the Irish boys had tears in their eyes, and that song spured them on to a huge winning margin against the old foe. I think that lame duck 'Irelands Call' does hold us back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Im in full support of this, Irelands call makes me shudder not shake as an anthem shood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

Steyr wrote: »
    Can we please ban that bloody song, my blood boiled as the announcer of todays match said he was going to play the NATIONAL Anthems of Argentina and Ireland, come on like its The Soldiers Song (Amhrán na bhFiann) that is our Anthem you could even see the boys when it was played they didnt have any heart in it, its the Irish Rugby Team so play bloody Amhrán na bhFiann i dont care if it upsets certain people living on this Island The Soldiers Song is our Anthem , Ban Irelands Call i say, Ban it now.

If you want to hear Amhran na bhFiann played for the Irish Rugby Team, you will have to hear God Save the Queen as well. Do you want that?

It's the IRELAND rugby team not the REPUBLIC of Ireland rugby team.
    Why does nobody seem to get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I think we should adopt Colonol Bogie's march instead of IC.

I'm quite the whistler.

Poco Loco wrote: »
    If you want to hear Amhran na bhFiann played for the Irish Rugby Team, you will have to hear God Save the Queen as well. Do you want that?
    Why :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Because it's the national anthem of 1/4 our playing population.

Amhrain na bhFiann represents the Republic of Ireland, Ireland's Call, like it or not, is the only song that represents the unique make up of Irish rugby.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Because it's the national anthem of 1/4 our playing population.
    By that way of thinking we should be playing the Polish and Nigerian anthems before we start playing aswell. Don't want them to feel isolated. It'll turn into the right little concert altogther before these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

By that way of thinking we should be playing the Polish and Nigerian anthems before we start playing aswell. Don't want them to feel isolated. It'll turn into the right little concert altogther before these games.

Which is exactly why a team that represents more than 1 political entity should NOT play anyones national anthem.

• Advertisement

Because Ireland comprises the Republic of Ireland (so that national anthem) and Northern Ireland (sooooo God Save the Queen).

Why would it comprise other nations' national anthems? People from those countries cannot represent Ireland in rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Poco Loco wrote: »
    Because Ireland comprises the Republic of Ireland (so that national anthem) and Northern Ireland (sooooo God Save the Queen).

Why would it comprise other nations' national anthems? People from those countries cannot represent Ireland in rugby?

God save the queen is the English rugby anthem.

Norn Iron does have its own called Derry Air which should be inserted instead in your proposal

gurramok wrote: »
    God save the queen is the English rugby anthem.

Norn Iron does have its own called Derry Air which should be inserted instead in your proposal

Sorry, my bad.
    Ok - that is my proposal (Thanks for the head's up!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Londonderry Air (thats its name, the song and the city are seperate like) has no words. Its not the most suited thing for a "national anthem" for sports.

There are words set to it, but I don't think lashing out Danny Boy is quite suitable either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I propose "32 counties, and 40 shades of green" song by Dustin.

There ya go, fine representation of the whole country, or island, or thingimybob whatever ya wanna call it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

darkman2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Irelands Call is so bad that it probrably added to our problems in the World Cup? I think its a terrible 'anthem' (glorified pop song) and I just dont see how anyone could be motivated by it. If anything it sounds awful and is depressing.

I don't know if the song caused the team to play any worse, or if the fans were any less jubilant because of the lack of proper anthem, but Ireland's Call is a crap, generic and meaningless anthem. The problem in Ireland is you have two separate nations with separate anthems so we play something else. The trouble with that is that Ireland's Call is nobody's anthem and it's hard to get fired up singing a song that could easily be (in the words of Tommy Tiernan) "Afghanistan, Afghanistan, together standing small". The song is meaningless and could be about anywhere in the world by inserting any name.

We do need a unified anthem that is neither The Londonderry Air nor Amhrán na bhFiann, just not this shite. The Irish Rover perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

They could have a crack at Bohemian Rhapsody for, erm, the craic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I love the song :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

how about Ireland's Call as Gaeilge?

that first line about our day coming could be interesting :)

Advertisement