Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merging Safely on a dual Carriageway

Options
  • 30-09-2007 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I'm learning to drive and I am fairly comforable on minor / single lane roads but i am nervous entering a dual carriageway because of the merging traffic system

Today , my second time on such a road, I came on to the road with the intention to merge but got nervous because there was no real gap in the traffic, but it being sunday was moving fairly fast. What i did was I stopped just before the bus lane started, waited for a gap and moved out. Thing was its at a bit of a bend so I couldnt see too far down the dual carriageway at oncoming traffic (entering the N4 in Lucan near Lucan Golf Course/ road to Lucan Village beside garrage and chinese restaurant).

I presume what i did was dangerous taking off in first gear onto traffic coming at 80k+ behind me?

Thing is because I am tenative I am afraid of driving too far up the bus lane and getting a fine. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what you did was very dangerous tbh, the whole reason behind the slip road is for you to gain speed so that you're travelling at the same speed as the lane your about to merge into.

taking off from first gear gives you next to no chance of being able to merge safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I drive that way every day and stopping there is quite dangrous, just get up to speed and indicate, eventually someone will let you in.

Driving a bit in the bus lane would be more preferable than stopping and trying to merge with speeding traffic behind you.

Which direction where you going, towards town or the west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

i was lucky so, heading east. will be nervous attempting this next time!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You need to be a bit more assertive and make your presence felt. Accelerate quickly on the slip road with your right indicator light on. Gradually inch over to the edge of the slip road while checking your mirror/blindspot. If you are travelling at the same speed as the carriageway traffic, merging should be relatively easy and smooth.

If you miss your slot, it would be safer to continue to attempt to merge from the bus lane that coming to a stop. Getting a fine for driving in a bus lane is a lot more preferably to killing someone else or yourself. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mimi3637

I was told by my driving instructor that if you cannot merge onto the dual carriageway because of traffic etc. then you must stop and must not drive in the hard shoulder or in your case, bus lane.

hmm....interesting point about your speed with taking off, but sure if there is lots of traffic around then surely they won't be flaking it anyways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Did the full licence holder accompanying you not give you any advice?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

okcomputer wrote:
    I presume what i did was dangerous taking off in first gear onto traffic coming at 80k+ behind me?

You're only allowed do that when you turn 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I drive from Maynooth into town and have to merge onto the N4.... was absolutely terrified the first time but to be honest I always get into the lane... i don't accelerate to full speed but pretty close, and if I indicate giving plenty of notice people either speed up and hence create a gap behind them or slow down slightly leaving a gap before them... they know there's a junction coming up too.

Don't forget to check your blind spot over your shoulder before moving into the lane, you might have missed something in your mirror

Advertisement