Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrsa

Options
  • 30-09-2007 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any experience with MRSA in our hospitals? My mum has been admitted recently and has been told that she now proved positive for MRSA in her nose. She is in isolation, and is using a nasal cream. The nurses tell us this is nothing to worry about, and will clear up, but I'm not really confident that they are telling us the truth, particularly with some of the things I have read online about it.
    Can MRSA just clear up? Normally when you hear of it, its associated with serious illnesses.
    Strange the way the hand gel containers are always empty in her hospital too. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

my mother had mrsa

she is in a nursing home, she was isolated in her room, she also had it in her nose and also her eyes. it did clear up after a few weeks. they now have the hand gel for visitors to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks Ulster, thats good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Interesting. my mom-in-law-to-be caught MRSA and was sent home, no isolation, nothing...That's Galway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can buy anti MRSA hand gels and surface wipes in the chemist and supermarket now too Archeron. It might be worth while if there are none in the hospital where you mum is.I'm really sorry to hear she's having such a tough time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lyndzi

I've worked in an hospital in England. MRSA is very common and is always going to be around. I was told anybody can have MRSA and not know it. Even me and you. Most people are carriers of the infection. most people contract in their nose through picking it etc. Its only extermely dangerous if you have an open wound. If MRSA gets in the wound then it prevents it from healing. Alot people who get Mrsa in wounds already have it somewhere else. The reason why people are isolated when they have MRSA is so they don't pass it on to other patients. Ive worked with so many people who have had MRSA and i've also done an infection control course. If anyone in my family contracted MRSA in their nose, i would not be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

My Nana is in a Nursing Home. She has MRSA in her eyes, she's been on so many different types of medication for it and it's not going away. her immune system seems to be pretty shot from all the dugs she's on anyway, she's in late stages of alzheimers and has pills for everything and anything. We just have to be very careful with touching her and sterilising our hands etc

Advertisement