Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REgions on games... Confused?

• 30-09-2007 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

My mam is goin to New York later in the month and im hoping to give her a list of titles to get me and bring me back but she asked me if they had to be region free or what?

This has gotten my confused as ive been to NY twice in the past year and bought Splinter Cell: DA and Merceneries POD for my original XBOX but idunno if itll be the same for the 360. Are most games region free etc? Hoping she'll be able to pick up Halo and possibly Assasins Creed if its out and a few others

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Some games are region free. Halo3 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Stephen! wrote:
    My mam is goin to New York later in the month and im hoping to give her a list of titles to get me and bring me back but she asked me if they had to be region free or what?

This has gotten my confused as ive been to NY twice in the past year and bought Splinter Cell: DA and Merceneries POD for my original XBOX but idunno if itll be the same for the 360. Are most games region free etc? Hoping she'll be able to pick up Halo and possibly Assasins Creed if its out and a few others

This is the list of US titles on play-asia.com
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-dh-49-en.html

If a game in particular says its region free then your mother should be able to buy them in NY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Stephen! wrote:
    but she asked me if they had to be region free or what?

Can't imagine my oul one askin if there region free, haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

My ma knows the score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Assassin's Creed isn't out till November, but I think it will be region free, going by Ubisoft's past releases (Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six Vegas). Should be cheap to get from Play-Asia then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Stephen! wrote:
    My ma knows the score!
    That's just blatent troll baiting!:p

I find it odd that you were able to run NTSC games on your original xbox, seeing as all games on that were region locked unlike the 360... was that chipped by any chance?

tman wrote:
    That's just blatent troll baiting!:p

I find it odd that you were able to run NTSC games on your original xbox, seeing as all games on that were region locked unlike the 360... was that chipped by any chance?

Nope, Didnt chip it or anything like that. As far as I remember i bought Merceneries in Toronto, CSI (terrible, terrible game!) and Splinter Cell DA in NY. Worked fine...

Your Xbox must have been modded before you got it then (did you buy it secondhand?). The original Xbox was not region free, but you could play games from other regions if it was modded/chipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Some but very few games were region free on the original xbox ;)

Seems some were, including Mercenaries and some Ubisoft games. Hmm. Guess all the games I was interested in weren't though, heh (typical!).

• Advertisement

My xbox wasnt modded at all! Got it the xmas argos were doin the Halo and Midtown Madness deal.

Guess i was lucky, so if a game is region free, that means every copy is region free or do they make region specific ones too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah for an example, On play asia halo 3 is region free but with chinese voices

Advertisement