Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

someone changed my ssid

• 30-09-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

My eircom netopia was hacked this morning. :o

I came back to my laptop after having a shower and noticed that I was disconnected from the router - when I checked the available networks, it turned out my ssid had been renamed to "Free Wi-fi". I had the default wep security turned on..

It didn't look like much else had been changed except security was turned off, needless to say I quickly disabled wireless connectivity and connected with an ethernet cable.

I was aware in the back of my mind that I should have tightened security (i.e at least set an admin password on the router) but to be honest I didn't think anyone would be bothered breaking the meagre security that had been set.

How should i change the settings to ensure this doesn't happen again?
    I guess i should hide my ssid by default, and change to WPA - PSK ?

Is there anything else i should check to ensure nothing else has been compromised? The log files seem pretty crappy :(

Another thing I was wondering, the default passphrase - used to generate encryption keys is the router's serial number right ?

davej

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

1) Change SSID
    2) Don't broadcast SSID
    3) MAC filtering
    4) use WPA and not WEP
    5) Change default admin password

All of this will help protect you. The last two are probably the most significant as WEP is easily hacked and the default passwords are well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

davej wrote:
    my ssid had been renamed to "Free Wi-fi"

Am I a bad person for laughing at this? :D

davej wrote:
    Is there anything else i should check to ensure nothing else has been compromised?

Yes - check anything else on that network. Assuming the wireless and wired interfaces are directly bridged (and not firewalled from each other), anyone connected would effectively be directly on your internal network. If you're not running firewalls on your internal hosts (or even if you are - Windows firewalls are often set up to freely allow connections from hosts on the same network segment), this opens up a rake of attacks that could potentially have been performed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

IF you had the Default SSID and Key, someone used your SSID to crack your key. Eircom screwed up big time.

Advertisement