Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog is dead

Options
  • 30-09-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

My 7 year old terrier died Friday.

She showed no sign of sickness.

I Burried her and did notice her hind legs were outstreached and her canine teeth were sticking out.

I really want to know how she could have died.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You should have taken her to a vet for post mortem. I thought it was illegal to bury a dog yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Why on earth would it have been illegal in Ireland?.

OP just make sure you buried him deep enough to stop scavengers digging him up. A necropsy on the dog would not have come cheap!.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Very sorry to hear about the your dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So sorry to hear this OP - could have been a stroke - no warning & it can be over very quickly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why on earth would it have been illegal in Ireland?.

OP just make sure you buried him deep enough to stop scavengers digging him up. A necropsy on the dog would not have come cheap!.

Checked it out. It had been illegal until an EU regulation in 2002 restricted the ban to ruminants.

The OP "really" wanted to know how the dog died so an autopsy by a professional is the only way to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Sorry can't help you but sorry to hear about your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

To answer the question, it's impossible to know, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ladymarmalade

Sorry to hear about your dog. Do you live in the country? If so there may be a chance that your dog happened on some poison, my family have lost several dogs in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Very sorry to hear about your dog OP, it could have been a number of things to be honest:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Thanks Guys

After asking other people their opinion, it seems it was most likely a Stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

There is still a very good chance a conclusive reason as to why your dog passed, can be still found out, there is a lab in johnstown in kildare, called the irish equine centre, and the fee for a post-mortem for a companion animal is in the region of 24-50 euro, it would put your mind to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

My 13 year old bitch terrier was diagnosed with a heart murmur, she has around 2 years left I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

When my cat died and i buried her in the garden i was told to hang a sock full of human hair near her grave to stop her being dug up. Give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    When my cat died and i buried her in the garden i was told to hang a sock full of human hair near her grave to stop her being dug up. Give it a try.

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

IT Loser wrote:
    My 13 year old bitch terrier was diagnosed with a heart murmur, she has around 2 years left I'd say.

You'd be surprised. My hairy beast (terrier crossed with a million other things) was diagnosed with a heart murmur the first time I took him to the vet. He's still with us, 16 years on. He sleeps a lot and is more or less completely deaf and very blind, but happy as Larry to leg it round the park, albeit in short bursts.

OP- sorry about your dog. Your vet might still be able to find out what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobbytwo

sounds like he was poisoned. They stretch out their legs like you described. A poison like slug pellets or rat poison causes that. Sorry. If it is really upsetting you, so should bring the body to the vet to be checked, especially if you have more pets.

Advertisement