Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a second dog/issues

Options
  • 30-09-2007 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

we have a 1 year old chocolate lab.
    we are out of the house for a few hours each day and he hates being left alone. he's recently been chewing up anything he can get his teeth on in the house while we're out - 2 beds in the last week!?!?

we are moving house and will have a proper garden in a few weeks but we also want to get another dog so they can play together.

we want a dog that will work well with a gentle tempered but energetic lab.
    so far we've come up with 3 options
    1 - a beagle - makes sense on paper, only concern is that they chase scents so may escape and run off or that they could excite each other too much
    2 - a bassett hound - worried he might be too lazy for the lab? or would he help keep him calm? how could you walk both together?!
    3 - a cocker spaniel - maybe too energetic?

our other concern is that in new house we'll have to wait a few weeks before the garden in secured. i wanted to use the electronic fence/ collar but so nervous of going out and coming back to an empty garden!???

Help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 annmarie124

hi sneepmo, i have a jack russell terrier.he is six months old and i recently had him at the vet. i explained that my dog has eaten 3 beds and he is currently working on chewing the door of his kennel off. he has eaten skirting boards, bucket and mops and just today ate a hole in my utility wall!

my vet explained that it is the dogs way of getting your attention when you are busy doing something else. instead of getting another bed for the dog to sleep on leave him/her have the one that is eaten. also if you always say goodbye when you leave the house you have to stop that and just go without saying anything. the dog knows you are gone and will do anything to get your attention to come back.when you come home if the first thing you do is greet the dog you have to stop that and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes before going out to the dog. it gives the dog time to calm down and not be so excited when you get back home.

the vet says it takes time but the dogs eventually realize that eating everything wont get the attention they want from you and you dont spend a small fortune on replacing beds! hope this advice helps a bit. my dog doesnt eat his bed anymore and ignoring him for 10 minutes does give him time to relax!

good luck with the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

While getting another dog is a good idea it probably will only mean you will then have two dogs eating the beds rather than one.

I found a stray little border collie X a few months ago and she is the ideal partner for my two dobies. Of course for the first week the relationship was all out war but gradually the dobies grew to accept and even love the little collie. Having more than one dog will not stop them chewing things up. in fact they can compete with each other to see who can pulp more cushions in 10 seconds.

Get a second dog by all means as I believe it will be good for your lab but I think you will have to restrict the dogs access to areas of the house where it can do severe damage while you are out - simple as.

As regards the electric fence - you must have some physical barrier to run the wire along - simply laying it on a flat bit of ground will only mean the dogs jumping over it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

OP, why are you only looking at pedigree's? If you want a companion dog, there are plenty to choose from in the rescues/shelters ...... you could take your lab down with you and introduce them/take them for a walk together to see how they get on. Incidently, there are loads of pedigree's in the shelters too.
    There are loads of people here who will tell you only good things about rescuing a pet .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Glowing wrote:
    OP, why are you only looking at pedigree's? If you want a companion dog, there are plenty to choose from in the rescues/shelters ...... you could take your lab down with you and introduce them/take them for a walk together to see how they get on. Incidently, there are loads of pedigree's in the shelters too.
    There are loads of people here who will tell you only good things about rescuing a pet .....

Good reply.

OP like this chap said. Take your dog alone to your local pound and introduce it to some of the inmates there. Pound staff are only too happy to oblige as strays only have 5 days before being put to sleep and in the case of a surrender it only has one day :mad:

But pound staff are in no rush to enforce this, except when the pound is full.

Rescue is best IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Yeah when we were looking for a 2nd dog we brought our 1st dog along and while I had found a dog I wanted if she didn't get on with Jess, we wouldn't have taken her home, but as it turned out the 2 girls adore each other and yes I do know what people say about having two bitches but in our case it works perfectly, and I know lots of people who have 2 and even 3 bitches together with no problems. I personally think its down to the dogs personalities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 sneepmo

Thanks all. Will try to ignore the dog when leaving in the morning (the little bugger has got the most unbelieveable 'sad eyes').

Going to bring him along to see if he bonds/likes whatever dog we're thinking of choosing. you've all been great ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

While your dog may 'bond' with a dog at the pound he may take a different view if the dog is brought home to his patch. There will be an adjusting time needed so you will have to try and control tantrums by your lab as best you can until they finally settle down. Can take up to three weeks from my experience. :rolleyes:

Advertisement