Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota MR2 ...girly car?

Options
  • 30-09-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

looking at this car lads, im thinking is it girly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It 's what you want it to be..in my books it's a sh**hot little motor

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are the people who think it's girly paying for the car? If not, who cares what they think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cracking motor. The MK 1 especially so. I had a poster of one on my wall as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mk2s with the 3S-GE engine are fast; I've been treated to 160 km/h on a country road in one.

Edit: I'm referring to the one introduced in 1990, which is the Mark 2

I've a soft spot for the Mk2, I don't know why tbh, I think it is definately the best Toyota of the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

It's 50/50 on the looks in my opinion but if you've ever driven one you'll soon forget about that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Are you talking about the latest shape? Great car IMO, a girl at work has one, but that wouldn't stop me. But...
    ...Pretty impractical and from what I gather, not great for long trips, but great handling/performance (have driven a couple), and looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Mk1 and Mk2 - definitely not. MkIII is a lot less agressive looking imo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Mark III is a Porsche Boxster wannabe. It's embarrassing. Mk1 and Mk2 were vastly superior cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

looking at this car lads, im thinking is it girly?
    I'm agreeing with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Tony Danza wrote:
    I'm agreeing with you.

"is it?" not "it is!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

C_Breeze wrote:
    "is it?" not "it is!"
    He says "I'm thinking is it girly?" Hence he must be leaning towards the "this car is girly" opinion rather than the opposite surely??

Just to clarify, yes I do think these cars look girly. I'd say they would pretty cool to drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why do so many people let what others think influence the type of car they buy?

If you like a particular car, can afford it and want it then go out and buy it. Sod what others think imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bazz26 wrote:
    Why do so many people let what others think influence the type of car they buy?
    In a word, insecurity. Confident people don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anan1 wrote:
    In a word, insecurity. Confident people don't care.

It appears to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

ned78 wrote:
    The Mark III is a Porsche Boxster wannabe. It's embarrassing. Mk1 and Mk2 were vastly superior cars.

+1

the new one is just woeful looking, supposedly a great handling car though, but cant get over the frankenstein styling tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

It's not as girly as an Audi TT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

if you buy your cars to prove your a man then maybe you need to go buy a hummer or some such.

If you buy your cars because you like to drive them and because they are good to drive then what do you care whats girly ( and you could do alot worse than any incarnation of the MR2 ) ?

People who say that about a car generally drive an old, inane, 4 door family car, thats rubbish to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

MR2 - thats def a girls car , just like the TT and the z3 ...
    if you want a 2 door then why not get an S2000 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Is that a joke. Although the S2000 has the balls, it still looks girly IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

barryfitz wrote:
    Is that a joke. Although the S2000 has the balls, it still looks girly IMO
    ah man your def messing..... the if the s2000 looks girly then what 2 door doesnt? its 280bhp as standard - def not a girly car! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I suppose you are right. :p

Honda%20S2000%2099-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smellytinker

I would have to say they are not a girlie car...

I'm driving a 94 MR2 G-limited for 2 years and it has been great, lovely to drive, great sound and I really like the driving position it's really comfy. I'd never had a rear wheel drive before so learned very quickly about corners in the wet! :eek:

There will always be people who don't like your car, so I'd say it's a little more important that you like it! :)

Anyway me is now back on topic. The MR2; I like the older models but not a huge fan of the newest one. But look, if you like it thats all that matters. If it was me and I liked something I wouldnt care what anyone else thought, not even the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

mk2 are lovely cars. Drive a mk2 turbo and see if its a girly car ;)

The mk3, thats a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Quiff81 wrote:
    ah man your def messing..... the if the s2000 looks girly then what 2 door doesnt? its 280bhp as standard - def not a girly car! :rolleyes:
    237bhp standard.

MR2 are great cars. All versions, despite what anyone else says. Mk 3 is most refined in the handling department, but a bit lacking in the engine bay. Could have done with the 189bhp engine from the t-sport celica and corolla. Looks a bit feminine, but wouldn't let that worry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

went to pay the vrt on a toyota mr2 1991 coupe it was the basic 2 litre model. needed some work done and high milage. cost me 1180 euro's regardles of conditon. cost me over 2000 euro and I still have to nct it. not worth importing cars here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

went to pay the vrt on a toyota mr2 1991 coupe it was the basic 2 litre model. needed some work done and high milage. cost me 1180 euro's to pay the vrt regardles of conditon. cost me over 2000 euro in total and I still have to nct it. not worth importing cars here. they have a seller book value of 3000 euro's on it . but thats top notch condition. maybe all the revenue the government is making from second hand and new car sales will go in to . great health service we have or the roads i love the red cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Advertisement