Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re: UK Prov licence

Options
  • 30-09-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I just have a quick question regarding a provisional licence.

I have a UK provisional licence which was issued 8.5 years ago and is still valid, I did a few lessons but dropped them due to lack of time etc.. I now want to drive in Ireland.

I have passed my Irish theory test and am about to send form in, I was just wondering whether this would count as my first or second prov. licence from the point of view of needing a licenced driver in the car with me

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

First.

Foreign provisionals aren't counted. I have held an English one for c. 6 years and took my test on my Irish provisional which had been issued around 3 months previous to my test date....the tester went to the trouble of telling me I'd 'only been driving 5 minutes' when he failed me and then when I showed him my UK prov he said 'oh well you'll pass next time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

i do not understand anything after "...."

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jahalpin wrote:
    I was just wondering whether this would count as my first or second prov. licence
    Your Irish provisional licence will be considered to be you first and the accompanied rule will apply (unless it in categories A,A1,M or W).

Provisional licences are only valid within the juristiction that they are issued. An Irish provisional licence is not legally recognised for driving in northern Ireland either (contrary to what many people think).

Advertisement