Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 01-10-2007 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Just got to the six mark with the penalty points and getting worried.

I have applied for a scottish license to avoid getting more points. Someone told me yesterday that the points carry across now and I wont be able to escape

Can anyone verify this one way or another ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

No point in applying elsewhere as they come onto your irish licence.Also best solution is slow down and dont get caught again.I have been through that stage and have been VERY close to getting put off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No they don't. The scots licence would be clean.
    It will be many years before the EU gets up off its' arse and harmonise the points systems EU wide.

But you may open yourself up for fraud if you get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

drdre wrote:
    I have been through that stage and have been VERY close to getting put off the road.

You got away with it. Great news for ya! I'm sure you've learnt your lesson by now. Maybe now it's time you should convince your father that he really shouldn't hold onto several driving licenses issued by a few EU and perhaps other countries too. You both know it's illegal. I just hope you will rectify the situation yourselves resulting in a lenient slap on the wrist, rather than somebody reading this post reporting your fraud. Get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was caught speeding and got 80e fine plus 2 points on the licence I produced from another EU country.

biko wrote:
    I was caught speeding and got 80e fine plus 2 points on the licence I produced from another EU country.
    They create ghost licences and store the points on there until the harmonisation of EU points happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

There seems to be conflicting info here

Biko - How did they issue points on to a European license ?

I actually own an apartment in Stirling so I would be considered a resident of sorts there as I spend 100+ days a year there and have done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

lifebook wrote:
    There seems to be conflicting info here

Biko - How did they issue points on to a European license ?

I actually own an apartment in Stirling so I would be considered a resident of sorts there as I spend 100+ days a year there and have done for years.

See the post above yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bond-007 wrote:
    They create ghost licences and store the points on there until the harmonisation of EU points happens.
    That's pretty much it.

The points don't disappear into nothingness. Better still, if you don't hold an Irish licence, any points you get don't expire. The three-year period only begins as soon as the points get applied to your actual licence.

I'm not sure what the story is when you get 12 points applied to your "Ghost" licence, but I imagine you get hauled in front of a court and banned anyway. I don't think it'll be long before we find out.

What is it with Irish people refusing to put their hands up and accept their mistakes, instead trying to find every angle they can to weasel out of their failures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

seamus wrote:
    What is it with Irish people refusing to put their hands up and accept their mistakes, instead trying to find every angle they can to weasel out of their failures?

That seems to be the underlying reason for nearly half the threads started on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You would be informed of the fact that they just tacked some points onto your "ghost" license though, wouldn't you?

I am not aware of any points on my "ghost" licence, I'm pretty convinced that I didn't do anything to deserve points either, I just want to be sure that I would have been told and that there aren't any sneaky points lurking anywhere that I'm not aware of.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:

It aint just us, This would be the same in all countries. Half the UK guys I work with have Irish licenses the other half have their windscreens full of scanners and radar detectors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

lifebook wrote:
    It aint just us, This would be the same in all countries. Half the UK guys I work with have Irish licenses the other half have their windscreens full of scanners and radar detectors.

If Johnny jumped off a cliff would you?

Just becasue they do it doesnt mean its right or legal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

lifebook wrote:
    Hey all

Just got to the six mark with the penalty points and getting worried.

I have applied for a scottish license to avoid getting more points. Someone told me yesterday that the points carry across now and I wont be able to escape

Can anyone verify this one way or another ?

I suppose you could 'escape' by ceasing to do whatever it is you did that caused you to get the points in the first place.

Hey Kearnsr

If only I had asked who the moral conscious of boards was, then your reply would mean something but alas I didn't. I didnt say it was right or legal. I simply stated a fact.

In fact everyone forget I asked the question. Kearnsr has made me see the error of speeding law breaking ways and I am determined to never break the speed limit again

Thanks Kearnsr ..........ya right :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

lifebook wrote:
    Hey Kearnsr

If only I had asked who the moral conscious of boards was, then your reply would mean something but alas I didn't. I didnt say it was right or legal. I simply stated a fact.

In fact everyone forget I asked the question. Kearnsr has made me see the error of speeding law breaking ways and I am determined to never break the speed limit again

Wow with a burn that brilliant I wouldn't be surprised if Kearnsr was the one who jumped off a cliff :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lifebook wrote:

That's seems to be the typical sarcastic tone here from people who just want to find ways around paying penalties or facing up to the fact that they are breaking the law. Why not honestly put your hands up, pay the fine and keep below the speed limit in future?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

That's seems to be the typical sarcastic tone here from people who just want to find ways around paying penalties or facing up to the fact that they are breaking the law. Why not honestly put your hands up, pay the fine and keep below the speed limit in future?:confused:
    Or use the Irish Speedtraps website and avoid them.:rolleyes:

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Aaah! It just didn't feel the same without a dig from MrP today. Thanks:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Perhaps you should just slow down.

Never fear the moral majority are here. Do you need breathing apparatus up there so high?

• Advertisement

Aaah! It just didn't feel the same without a dig from MrP today. Thanks:p

You're welcom. :D

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bond-007 wrote:
    Never fear the moral majority are here. Do you need breathing apparatus up there so high?

Ah here now. That's my line. I just said it because no one else seemed to have done so, and this would be boards.ie without it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Why is there so many people who are always trying to give lessons to others here ?
    "Lesson learned" etc...
    Alright there are rules, laws, etc...but we are just humans after all, we are not programs.
    In one hand you have got the authorities telling you not speeding, and in the other hand you have a car that has 192HP.
    And when you have got a ticket, this goes to the PD, which gets an extra 35.000 euro bonus for 2007 tax free.

The real problem here is not "US" for god sake, this is the Irish government.
    Anything else that Nissan Micra should be banned in the country.

Let's give the example to the other countries.
    Let's buy nissan micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brainpower

What a load of nonsense about penalty point. First of all there is no such thing as ghosting because that would imply that this database would be European wide, because technically as a European citizen, I can exchange a license in whatever state I'm resident in, moreover it is mandatory in the UK that if you are or intend living there over 12 month you have to change your license.

Retrospective application of points is nonsense because point are not harmonised between the 2 state (UK & Ireland) 3 point for speeding in the UK and only 2 point in Ireland-- how do you apply the model

In short if you have a UK license and you happen to have a copy of your Irish license, you can use your license in Ireland with a Nil point effect.

Ghosting is very much happening. I have seen letters sent to UK licence holders explaining that their 2 points are going to be held until such time as they can be applied to their licence.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Ghosting is very much happening. I have seen letters sent to UK licence holders explaining that their 2 points are going to be held until such time as they can be applied to their licence.

If this is the case just dont change over the licence then they cant apply the points. Im driving in the uk on an irish licence and they can set up all the ghost licences they want cos I wont be changing to a uk licence. Well until im moving home then I mite change to a uk one alright :D

first of all I have never seen so many high horses. Its only human nature to break the rules a little bit for gods sake stop being such a load of old farts.

Im sure you guy wonder north of the speed limit from time to time.

I always thought there was a 10% tolerance on the speed limits but I was caught doing 54KMH in a 50 zone so i dont know.

Do they calibrate those radars? at the end of the day they are measurement devices!!!!!!!!!!

Im not trying to drive like a lunatic or anything like that but i desperately need my car for work and when you do huge mileage its much easier to drift a little bit over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lifebook wrote:
    first of all I have never seen so many high horses. Its only human nature to break the rules a little bit for gods sake stop being such a load of old farts.

Im sure you guy wonder north of the speed limit from time to time.

I always thought there was a 10% tolerance on the speed limits but I was caught doing 54KMH in a 50 zone so i dont know.

Do they calibrate those radars? at the end of the day they are measurement devices!!!!!!!!!!

Im not trying to drive like a lunatic or anything like that but i desperately need my car for work and when you do huge mileage its much easier to drift a little bit over the limit.

if your car is that important to you, you wouldnt break the law.

there is no 'tolerance'.
    otherwise, theyd just up the speed limit by 10%, wouldnt they?

yes, they calibrate the radars, they dont just wave their fingure in the air and pull figures out of their arse.

you were caught doing 54k according to your car. do you calibrate it every day?

Boards.ie tends to err on the side of caution when it comes to finding ways to getting around breaking the law. whether or not many people here complain about people being on a moral high ground, the fact of the matter is that I dont want this type of conversation going on.

consider this a warning, and any mods here, feel free to close this thread at any time.

i do consider the discussion of this ghost licence etc valid, so i am leaving it open. mods, its in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think the original idea is pointless anyway as if they are creating "Ghost" licenses, they'll just apply the points to WHATEVER license you hold if and when the system is eventually harmonised. There won't BE a way "around it" anymore, and some people may find themselves instantly off the road when their arrears are applied.

If the new speed cameras that are on the way are the UK-style "average speed" ones that'll be another points/revenue bonanza. :( If these are sited properly with safety in mind (which of course they WON'T be) this would be a far more effective deterrant, AND actually make a difference on road fatalities.

However, getting done at 54 in a 50 (especially if an older MPH based car) is harsh, and yes the general consensus would seem to be that most Gardai give a 10% tolerance in light of this (but again, as with everything else in this country - it depends who you get! :mad:)

As usual though this thread has quickly descended into the usual argument between the "slow down and take your medicine" brigade, and those of us who believe it's far more important to be aware of the surrounding conditions, road quality etc and driving at an APPROPRIATE speed (which on Irish roads is often slower than the posted "safe" limit), than driving with your eyes glued to the speedo. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i
    yes, they calibrate the radars, they dont just wave their fingure in the air and pull figures out of their arse.

Really? And how do you know this? The reason I ask is that, after several cases were thrown out because the gardai could not prove the devices were calibrated, the law was changed and now the gardai are under no obligation to show a device is or has ever been calibrated or indeed even prove that it is actually in working order.

MrP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement