Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points!!!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Bond-007 wrote:
    Never fear the moral majority are here. Do you need breathing apparatus up there so high?
    Do you need breathing apparatus down there in the sewers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

If this is the case just dont change over the licence then they cant apply the points. Im driving in the uk on an irish licence and they can set up all the ghost licences they want cos I wont be changing to a uk licence. Well until im moving home then I mite change to a uk one alright :D

well I guess eventually there might be some sort of cross-border points application (irish->english, or vice versa), and if your ghost license has enough shrapnel on it, it could mean a straight disqualification when the system gets put in place

10 years down the line you could be in for a shock :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

lifebook wrote:

Its only human nature to break the rules a little bit for gods sake stop being such a load of old farts.

You've broken them more than once or does a "little bit" have a different meaning for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

DonJose wrote:
    Do you need breathing apparatus down there in the sewers?
    Who said I was in the sewers? I am on the level ground leaning in neither direction. :) Air quality is good here! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bond-007 wrote:

Air quality is good here!

You sure? Lot of extra fumes form all them speeding drivers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ah, but the view is brilliant from up here. I can see my house!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone know the definite situation here with these ghost points?

I drive quite a bit in the UK/Europe and I do go above the posted limits, because personally I believe it's safe to go 130kmph in a 3 lane motorway at 3am in the morning.

I don't know if I've been flashed by any cameras, perhaps... but if so, what's the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can only get ghost points if they actually catch you. So if you are flashed on Irish plates in the UK/Europe nothing will happen as they have no access to the Irish databases.

If you are in a hire car, the hire company will pass your details onto the police and they may chase you, very unlikely in my experiences.

If you are pulled over by the cops they will fine you and take your licence details and from these they will create a ghost record for you. I know that the DVLA do this in the UK for Irish/EU licence holders as do the Dept of transport here for UK/EU licences.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cormie wrote:
    I don't know if I've been flashed by any cameras, perhaps... but if so, what's the story?
    Whilst on holidays in France over the years, I used to give a nice big smile for these - it felt great!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I know someone with points who exchanged for a N.I. licence. He then exchanged back to an Irish licence later but at a different address. The original points disappeared. It might be a fluke though as generally they are tracked through the licence numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

seamus wrote:

What is it with Irish people refusing to put their hands up and accept their mistakes, instead trying to find every angle they can to weasel out of their failures?

No need to single out Irish people which is just racist I think. Speed cameras are a money making exercise. It's not "failures" either.

Getting 2 points for doing 104kph on a 100kph empty dual carriagway does not mean that magically you are more dangerous than somebody doing the 80kph limit on a tiny country lane. I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on someone elses driving ability if the requirements to be banned are not based on driving ability, conditions, the car or the time of the month for the police (i.e., the end of the month).

If it was the intention to have reduced road-related deaths and have safer drivers, then the government would have significantly accelerated the road development for motorways and enforced the already existing laws regarding non-fully licensed drivers.

Getting two points for creeping a few kph above a speed limit on an empty road several months after the incidence doesn't make you learn that speeding is dangerous - because it wasn't at all in the circumstance. So the only other purpose is to give you free reign to go out and do it again, by stealth be caught, and give more money to the government.

Fixed cameras are being shown already in the UK to not be the answer, and some boroughs are no longer funding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Pete4779 wrote:
    Getting 2 points for doing 104kph on a 100kph empty dual carriagway does not mean that magically you are more dangerous than somebody doing the 80kph limit on a tiny country lane.

you are right. it says nothing about their ability as a driver.

however, people who keep getting caught show how supremely stupid they are to.

i mean, get caught once, shame.
    get caught twice, you should know better.
    get caught enough times to loose your licence? blame everyone else, get angry with people who tell you what you already know (that you shouldnt be speeding) and then try and weasle out of it by finding some dodgey loophole.

no. nothing wrong with their driving. but stupid? definately.

then again, i =ve only ever had 3 points for doing 92 mph on a 70mph motorway.
    ive managed to spend the last 7 years of my life not getting done, by obeying the speed limit.

and this isnt a high horse moral compass type post. im just fed up of people coming on here and complaining about their own **** ups and then.. well, read above.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh, and if there is no more to say on ghost licences, then i suggest the mods close this thread.
    there is little left in it worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote:
    I drive quite a bit in the UK/Europe and I do go above the posted limits, because personally I believe it's safe to go 130kmph in a 3 lane motorway at 3am in the morning.
    Poetic licence there, cormie? As your entire motoring history is posted on boards, we are only aware of one trip outside the country (to the UK), in which you got stung by a large parking fine. Pray enliven our boring lives with tales of your many European motoring exploits. :p

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pete4779 wrote:
    No need to single out Irish people which is just racist I think.
    Racism is unfounded prejudice against a race. The Irish as a race have always been "cute hoors" and "chancers". My 25 years as an Irishman allows me to make blanket statements about them :)
    Speed cameras are a money making exercise. It's not "failures" either.
    Regardless, if you're caught breaking the law, the you were breaking the law. There is no argument. I went through the M50 camera last night at around 70kph. I don't think it flashed, but if a fine arrives in the post, I'll stick my hands up. Yes it's a stupid place for a camera and yes it's a money-making exercise, but if I was caught then it wasn't unfair - I was breaking the law. Hands up, accepted.
    Getting 2 points for doing 104kph on a 100kph empty dual carriagway does not mean that magically you are more dangerous than somebody doing the 80kph limit on a tiny country lane. I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on someone elses driving ability if the requirements to be banned are not based on driving ability, conditions, the car or the time of the month for the police (i.e., the end of the month).
    As WWM points out, continually getting points *does* say something about the driver in question. Getting two points is bad luck. Getting four points is verging on sloppy. Any more than that and you have to examine your driving. Even if you're getting shot in a barrel, you have to examine why you allow yourself to be caught - you're clearly not paying attention to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cormie had this all typed up before the close and he would like to add it to this thread:
    Cormie wrote:
    esel wrote:
    Poetic licence there, cormie? As your entire motoring history is posted on boards, we are only aware of one trip outside the country (to the UK), in which you got stung by a large parking fine. Pray enliven our boring lives with tales of your many European motoring exploits. :p

lol, I was wondering if someone would question that, by quite a bit, I meant mileage wise and I'll be going to France in less than 2 weeks and will be doing quite a bit of mileage there aswell;) So by quite a bit, I mean I've driven quite a few hours above the speed limit.

WWM, the OP drives for a living, it's a lot easier to keep to the limits when you don't have to rely on your car/traffic to get you there on time. Plus, when you do huge mileage, as he says he does, it's also very easy to rack up points unknowingly with our system. If I get caught by the same well hidden camera 6 times in the space of a few weeks, that's my license gone, without me knowing I've even got caught once. Defies the purpose of the point system.

Providing you're an experienced and capable driver, 92MPH on a lot of the 70MPH motorways I've been on in the UK (I'm guessing you're talking about the UK since 3 points and MPH?) is perfectly safe. It all depends on the conditions. Going 74MPH on an empty 3 lane motorway in the UK at 3am, although breaking the limit is a lot safer than going 75MPH on a 2 lane Irish motorway at peak times. One is breaking the law, one is not, but the one breaking the law is safer.

7 years without getting done is different for a lot of people, that could be 35,000 miles for some and 350,000 for others.

Of course, if you knowingly have 6+ points, it's a different story, you should really keep to the limits, not for safetys sake, but for fear of the hammer! It doesn't mean the 6 points are always justified however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement