Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest New Graphics Card

Options
  • 01-10-2007 5:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi All,

I got that new Medal Of Honour game, Airbourne but its running very slow on my PC. My specs are, Intel dual core 2.8 mhz, 2048 ram and my current card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE and have been it possible the card isnt up to scratch, could anyone give me some idea of what i should upgrade to please? Any rough prices or suggestions on where to buy would be great also.
    Rgds,
    P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

The 7300 SE is not suitable for games like Airbourne , you would be much better off with something in the 150 euro price range like the x1950 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

another option is if u want to future proof it a little, i have the 8800gts 320mb, (its 300 quid bought from www.komplett.ie) but runs everything ive thrown at it so far perfectly at full spec. (bioschock, company of heroes, world in crisis, fear,dirt*(this one is kinda demanding tho), moh airborne* (at 60 fps at full spec))

if u can get over the price tag which actually isnt that bad , its a very good graphics card

now...see how many ppl will disagree with me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Only get the 8800 if you have a good psu and a roomy case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah 7300Se means you got a HP, Fujitsu Siemens or similar machine most likely, in which case an 8800 class card is out the window and possibly even the X1950. Something like an 8600GT (93 euro on hardwareversand) will definitely work on any remotely modern machine, and while basic enough in terms of the latest games is about 5x as good as the 7300se.

• Advertisement

Yes I got a HP, I got it in the sales after last Christmas, not being too up on PC's I figured it was a decent enough buy at 700 euro, plus I thought as the card was a 512 it was pretty new..
    Like I said I'm not really familiar with PC's so could anyone suggest where to go to have the new car installed too?
    Cheers,
    P.

Installing it yourself is easy, all you have to do is take the card out of the slot on the motherboard and slot the new one in. Easy, and done in a few seconds.

Card could be 512mb, but with graphics card that's a classic ploy particularly in the OEM market - kit out mid range PCs with crap cards with high amounts of memory - fools the average user not very knowledgeable about PCs into thinking it's great. The high amount of memory cannot even be used by a 7300SE, you can easily get 128mb cards that will outperform it for example. To be honest, the 7300SE is an atrociously bad card and worthless for the latest games.

What HP is it? As in, what model number.

Hi Havok,

Yes it certainly fooled me anyway... The receipt shows the PC as a "Packard BL 2469.UK DESK PC" and System type as "SYSTEM Type X86-based PC"
    I'm not sure if this info is any help or not.. I'd really like to get the card ASAP so was wondering what shops here in Dublin would you recommend to purchase the card? I'll have a go at swapping it out myself

Thanks for all your advise!

P.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/186543

That's it right? Unfortunately if you you're a bit stuck - you can't put anything other then lower end cards in there as the power supply is very low rated. I had one of those PB machines and it only had a 250w psu - barely enough to get by with one of these. At that price it's affordable, reliable and will play Airborne at medium-ish settings. You might even get away with an 8600GT.

But as an actual gaming machine your computer isn't up to the task, sorry....for the latest games you also need more ram ideally and a better processor to boot. did it come with Vista? If so, you'll need more ram urgently for games as well. You'll get by with what you have and a small upgrade to the 7600GT/8600GT but it won't be dazzling and there's no long term prospects in either the best card you can get to suit your machine or even the machine itself. More research needed next time I think :)

Thats the one i have alright, it came with XP...
    I agree more research needed next time, I'll get the 8600GT and see how that works out, I'll keep you posted, Thanks for all your great advice!

P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement