Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tortoises - good pets?

Options
  • 01-10-2007 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a website about tortoises and whether they make good pets or not, can someone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Hi all,

Looking for a website about tortoises and whether they make good pets or not, can someone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks.

Hi,

My nephew got 2 of them about 9 months ago. They were cool (and cheap). They came with tank, filter etc... At that time they were the sizer of a matchbox.

Now, They have grown pretty fast in that time. Their shell is abit bigger than a CD.

They require alot of cleaning, say once a week cas they **** all over the place. My brother in law had to buy a new tank which was much bigger.

There ok. dont do all that much but are fun to watch. I would say if you have an hour spare to clean the tank everyweek then go for it. But you should remember that they can grow HUGE. I seen one that was 2 years old once and it was about 12-15 inches in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Bobbysands81: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/ Probably the best resource on the web for tortoise info. A few of the regulars here keep them, myself included. I'd suggest you do a lot of research before buying. They can be rewarding pets to keep but I wouldn't keep them without thinking long and hard, they can live for a very long time, have strict dietary requirements, and if they are from the Mediterranean, they will more than likely have to be hibernated every year. They also need UVB lighting which you have to change at least once a year.
    I'd strongly suggest reading up on the Tortoise trust site before you buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

tallus wrote:
    Bobbysands81: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/ Probably the best resource on the web for tortoise info. A few of the regulars here keep them, myself included. I'd suggest you do a lot of research before buying. They can be rewarding pets to keep but I wouldn't keep them without thinking long and hard, they can live for a very long time, have strict dietary requirements, and if they are from the Mediterranean, they will more than likely have to be hibernated every year. They also need UVB lighting which you have to change at least once a year.
    I'd strongly suggest reading up on the Tortoise trust site before you buy one.

Don't worry mate - I won't be rushing into a decision at all, I had a terrapin when I was a young kid so I just think that they're dead cool animals, if it's not for me then I won't be getting one.

I have an African Grey parrot which takes up a lot of time and needs a lot of cleaning up after it so I know how much care and attention goes into looking after animals.

The website you gave me is exactly what I'm looking for and I just need info to help me make an informed choice about whether a Tortoise would be a good animal for me to have or not.

Many thanks to you both.

Spent 6 weeks travelling Africa last year and by chance we passed a Leopard Tortoise on the road, we stopped and got out and had a look at it - dead cool!

Don't worry mate - I won't be rushing into a decision at all, I had a terrapin when I was a young kid so I just think that they're dead cool animals, if it's not for me then I won't be getting one.

I have an African Grey parrot which takes up a lot of time and needs a lot of cleaning up after it so I know how much care and attention goes into looking after animals.

The website you gave me is exactly what I'm looking for and I just need info to help me make an informed choice about whether a Tortoise would be a good animal for me to have or not.

Many thanks to you both.

Spent 6 weeks travelling Africa last year and by chance we passed a Leopard Tortoise on the road, we stopped and got out and had a look at it - dead cool!
    Best of luck no matter what you do. The greys are great parrots, have had a few of them in the past myself, without a doubt the best parrots around. Was looking out for a wee senegal parrot myself a while back but they seem to be a tad pricy.
    If you want a tortoise that doesn't need hibernation get a tunisian one. If you're in dublin I'd talk to Ben in Reptile haven in Fishamble St. Or Thomas McElerhon in Boardwalk pets, they both know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Could I ask something? - the local garden & pet shop has a tank of either tortoises or terrepins and it upsets me every time I go in. (I only go to get my cat litter, I wouldn't buy animals there).

The tort/terr.s are about the size of a quarter-pounder burger (can't think of anything else that size!!) and they have about 8 of them in a small tank with one rock sticking up out of the water. There usually is just one fella sitting on the rock and the rest of them swimming madly about, bumping into each other, and trying to clamber onto the rock.

It looks like they are distressed. Or - am I being ignorant - do these animals usually swim a lot and spend most of the time in water?

If it is a case of unsuitable treatment of these animals, I will make a complaint - but I know nothing about them so don't know if I am being stupid about this!

• Advertisement

I dont keep turtles myself but I do think they need a place to dry out. They certainly need a basking spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I was just looking for some advice please. We are thinking of getting my daughter a turtle\terrapin. After speaking to some people they told me that they are certain breeds are illegal and can carry disease. I have done some research but am still unsure as to where I stand.

Would you have any advice or guidelines around turtle? Also would there be any turtles that you need re-homed?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I have turtles and tortoises and find them all great but would reccomend tortoises as they are lower maintenance-russian tortoises only grow a little and generally stay small. i have 2 and there cool..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

You should consider a musk turtle... they don't require as much room as the RES and in my opinion far prettier...

Advertisement