Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Question

• 01-10-2007 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a thought... Am looking to replace my 250 that some scumbag robbed from my car (may a camel give birth in his tent etc) and I'm wondering should I hold off for a couple of months with a view to getting the next version maps. V9 came out towards the end of last year I think, and the units sold around then came with an upgrade voucher. Upgrading the Europe maps down the road costs about E200 so dont want to do that for a year. Anyone got the inside track?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well afaik.. if you by a new garmin now, you can hold off on registering your unit and then when the new maps are released, register your unit with a purchase date after the release, and Garmin will send you out a free update disk. This has been the case on the two previous updates up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Any idea of when? Dec or Jan maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I would hold-off.. Christmas/January would be a good time to buy a GPS receiver anyway, as there'll be a lot of competition to get customers/ get rid of excess stock.

Also, around then we should have a better idea of what the NavTeq buyout might mean to Garmin (whose value dropped yesterday by 12% based on the news).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I would hold-off.. Christmas/January would be a good time to buy a GPS receiver anyway, as there'll be a lot of competition to get customers/ get rid of excess stock.

Also, around then we should have a better idea of what the NavTeq buyout might mean to Garmin (whose value dropped yesterday by 12% based on the news).

Good points, might hold tough awhile, I noticed in the 4 months I had a nuvi 250 they came down about E50 but its the European maps that are costly to upgrade, I expect to spend E280 - 300 so i dont want to spend another couple of hundred buying the latest maps for at least a year.

Advertisement