Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused buildings in Dublin city centre

Options
  • 01-10-2007 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, I'm new to this and have a bit of strange request. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any buildings or spaces in Dublin city centre that are going completely unused or will soon be unused? I've been trying the estate agent route for the last year with no luck and thought I'd chance the knowledge of the Dublin folk here.

Myself and a friend are trying to establish an artists' workshop. We thought we'd have more luck because our needs are very simple - basically any building or space that keeps the rain and wind out. However, every building we come across that's available is either about to be floored or has been kitted out for an office, throwing the prices way out of our budget (we're letting, not buying).

I'm actually hoping someone will know an owner of one of the countless buildings in the city centre that's been locked up for a good few years. I'm aware some people don't want to put details of these things in such a public place so feel free to send me a private message if that's the case. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Check this website - http://derelictdublin.blogspot.com/ As someone else said, it's almost like an estate agents for squatters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

As far as I know there where a couple of derilict floors above the entrance to the shelbourne hotel car park on kildare street. With the redevelopment of the hotel now they might be gone - but you never know, worth checking out.

Best thing is to simply go for a stroll around the city centre - espciailly in an area you liked. People never seem to pay attention to their surroundings and not looking up at buildings is one symptom. You'd be surprised at how many of the upper stories of buildings are vacant, even in "up market" areas and in many cases appear to have been vacant for decades.

As for full buildings - i think the old Cara travel building on D'olier street has been vacant for a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Check out Thomas Reads Cutlers - once the oldest shop in Dublin, it has stood closed for over a dozen years adjacent to Thomas reads pub on Parliament St. A shame. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

My boss has a building to let right in the city centre, Dublin 1. (next door to my job)

It's basically an empty space with a kitchen and toilets down the end. Sounds perfect for what you're looking for.

PM me and I can get onto my boss to send you an e-mail with details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jubeamal

Thanks Clown Bag, done. Thanks to everyone else for the info too. Unfortunately I can't just go on the basis of what buildings are vacant. I'm aware of many. We've gone around town many times with the sole purpose of making notes of what buildings were derelict or vacant. It amassed in a lot of unfortunate dead ends where owners weren't interested in letting out the buildings on being randomly approached, or lengthy and slow visits to the city council offices to track down owners details who ultimately weren't interested. When you go looking for empty buildings, it boggles the mind how many there actually are.

What I'm more on the lookout for is somebody who knows a vacant building and an owner who might be interested in using but never got around to letting the building out yet, for whatever reason. It's a long shot but we're attempting it nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Just bumping this to see if there's any luck with this again a month on? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I have a building,previously a cresh (sp) in Glasnevin if your interested. It's basically a shed but has elec and heating amd two toilets. Not too expensive either.PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hendricks on Dominick Street (near Broadstone station) have artist studio type things overhead.

Dubtom, I'm afraid it would too far out from the city to be of use to us but I really appreciate the offer, many thanks.

jdivision, we'd be aware of the various studios around Dublin at the moment. There's always places going in one or two if someone was looking to find a small partitioned space to do their own work in. In our case we're looking to establish an entire studio space for ourselves and others. Thanks for the input all the same.

...bumping this up incase anyone knows anything at the moment. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement