Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wild boar

• 01-10-2007 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

I know there is an epidemic of these in the UK, which leads me to the obvious question..... anybody shot one over there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i know of a fella that shot one over here

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

stevoman wrote:
    i know of a fella that shot one over here

You have my undivided attention:eek:

just a fella yhat moved down the road from my grandfather. he was in talking to him and he traps and hunts for a living. when he was in the house there was a picture of him with a wild boar he had shot. seems that he was called in to kill the beast which had been seen around the midlands somewhere. thats all i know really, but them man seems to be genuine.

stevoman wrote:
    just a fella yhat moved down the road from my grandfather. he was in talking to him and he traps and hunts for a living. when he was in the house there was a picture of him with a wild boar he had shot. seems that he was called in to kill the beast which had been seen around the midlands somewhere. thats all i know really, but them man seems to be genuine.

Interesting. There are various "beast" stories around. Anyone else encountered them? Want a stout calibre for these boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slightly OT but wild boar are hunted daily where I live. One night I saw a family of two adults and a piglet on the road a couple of hundred yards from my house. Another night one ran out in front of my car and got transfixed in the headlights, he didn't move until I flashed the lights. There's a commercial hunting and fishing ground not too far away and a year ago tomorrow to be exact myself and my brother were on a fishing trip and a boar was shot and butchered while we were there. A huge beast, as big as me. Impressive and sad all at the same time. They have a restaurant on site and they serve the game shot on the property. Amazing stuff, I'd recommend it as a great day out to anyone.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    Slightly OT but wild boar are hunted daily where I live. One night I saw a family of two adults and a piglet on the road a couple of hundred yards from my house. Another night one ran out in front of my car and got transfixed in the headlights, he didn't move until I flashed the lights. There's a commercial hunting and fishing ground not too far away and a year ago tomorrow to be exact myself and my brother were on a fishing trip and a boar was shot and butchered while we were there. A huge beast, as big as me. Impressive and sad all at the same time. They have a restaurant on site and they serve the game shot on the property. Amazing stuff, I'd recommend it as a great day out to anyone.

Sounds great:D Can you post or PM details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

I went shooting in Spain at a place where they have driven boar, the boar are driven past the guns, who using rifles can bag 150 or so a day!! But why go to Spain when you can just pop down to Tesco...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/3375611.stm

But seriously, these things are thriving in the UK...
    http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/main.htm

i have seen and read things about pigs and i beleive they are the hudini's of the animal world and after they escape they are one of the very few domestic animals that not only survive in the wild, but thrive in it. i was wondering are these wild boar offspring from once domestic pigs or are they a different strain of pig let "let loose" into the countryside??????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Wild boar would be a different sort of a pig compared to a domesticated breed livng in the wild. If you had farm escapees living in the wild for a while their behaviour would be quite similar though and they would quite quickly end up on the vermin list. Their potential for agricultural damage is unreal.

I remember going on driven wild boar shoots with the Dad years ago in the southeast of Belgium ( Ardennes, northern fringe of the Elzas ). A lot of the lads at it would have been using shotguns with slugs, fullbore double rifle or high power semi's style .300wm. I was always told that stopping power was essential for them as the wild boar is a fairly agressive sturdy sort of an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

An old friend of mine from the U.S.(now sadly deceased), once witnessed a hunting companion get his lower leg literally eviscerated by the tusk of a wild boar that charged them from a thicket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My wife reckons that if the bunnies had rifles too I wouldn't be so anxious to shoot them ...... these boars sound like a quarry with attitude ....... don't have guns, but do they need them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

durandal01 wrote:
    An old friend of mine from the U.S.(now sadly deceased), once witnessed a hunting companion get his lower leg literally eviscerated by the tusk of a wild boar that charged them from a thicket.
    What kind of guts do you have in your lower leg? :D
    I reckon the New Zealand Method of hunting them with Dogs and a knife is the right way to get a real adrenaline rush!
    http://www.lifesaboar.co.nz/movie_non.asp

Its a little bit grusome for me: repeatedly stabbing the animal to death while the dogs savage it! If your into your dogs you will love these guys, crosses between wolfhounds and bull mastifs etc!

Put "Boar dogs" into youtube.

So this friend of mine, (lets call him Nala321 for the purpose of the scenario), has in-laws who own some land. Say Nala321 put a few wild boar onto the land (theoretically of course).... undoubtedly the boar would thrive and breed and soon be out of control.

So after five years the farm would be overrun by boar, the neighbours land would be destroyed by boar, there would be an epidemic of boar that would devestate the local community and agriculture and possibly put some farmers out of a job, kids cant afford to go to school etc.

So the question is: would this be alright if Nala and his friends from Boards.ie had unlimited boar shooting and endless pork in the fridge??!

Ethics, its so confusing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

If Nala was able to ensure that none of the theoretical boar could escape from the land then he might be able to make a small fortune from driven shoots and still have endless pork in the freezer.

That said I have no idea about the legal end of this but damn I like the thought of endless pork :D

alan123 wrote:
    So this friend of mine, (lets call him Nala321 for the purpose of the scenario), has in-laws who own some land. Say Nala321 put a few wild boar onto the land (theoretically of course).... undoubtedly the boar would thrive and breed and soon be out of control.

So after five years the farm would be overrun by boar, the neighbours land would be destroyed by boar, there would be an epidemic of boar that would devestate the local community and agriculture and possibly put some farmers out of a job, kids cant afford to go to school etc.

So the question is: would this be alright if Nala and his friends from Boards.ie had unlimited boar shooting and endless pork in the fridge??!

Ethics, its so confusing!!!

Please PM where Nala lives:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Me too:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dammit,i've allways wanted to shoot these bad boys.Spit-raosted wild boar meat is a feast for the gods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gun mad

Boar in sligo but not shure wheare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gun mad

alan123 wrote:
    I know there is an epidemic of these in the UK, which leads me to the obvious question..... anybody shot one over there?
    Boar in sligo but not shure wheare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 alicaffrey

Please pm this location also i would be very intredted in some lovely pork also

Advertisement