Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monopoly.ie results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

How on earth did Roscommon win?
    There's probably less people in the whole county than there is in our city, not to mind say Cork, which would probably beat both of us put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

From the Irish Independent
    ======================

Roscommon reigns with monopoly on high rollers
    Monday October 01 2007

IT'S an Ireland where Roscommon is the most expensive place to live, and Wicklow doesn't exist.

The four provinces and utility companies are for sale, and people get around in racing cars and jet planes and on skateboards.

And at a reception in Dublin Castle today to celebrate the new Ireland, Bertie Ahern will be presented with a box full of cash in full view of cameras and TV crews.

But the Mahon Tribunal won't be interested, as the Taoiseach will be accepting the first All-Ireland Monopoly game to roll off the production line at its official launch.

Maker Hasbro have developed a new 'Here and Now All-Ireland Monopoly Board' and has already sold 25,000 games.

Going on sale from today, Roscommon and Cork are deemed the most expensive 'streets' on the updated board, replacing Shrewsbury and Ailesbury Road , while Donegal and Westmeath become the old Crumlin and Kimmage.

Clearly, the designations have nothing to do with actual property prices -- Dublin is only the seventh most expensive.

The reason why Roscommon costs €2m and Galway costs considerably less is because it was the public who decided which 22 counties should be represented -- and which should be the most expensive.

People were asked to choose which of Ireland's 32 counties should be represented, as there was only space for 22.

And so almost 170,000 people dug into their community chests and voted in an online poll to make sure their county took one of the coveted spots.

Ten have lost out -- Antrim, Armagh, Carlow, Clare, Derry, Kildare, Longford, Monaghan, Tipperary and Wicklow didn't bother taking part in sufficient numbers so there's no point in turning on the waterworks.

And the Royal County Meath was so keen to get involved that the county council issued a call on its official website so Newgrange could feature on the board.

rallies

Dublin (9,322 votes) had a slow start but public campaigns and rallies ensured that the capital features and takes the old North Earl Street position. Waterford (10,792), home to Monopoly, can be found on the old Grafton Street location.

The online vote was a 32 county initiative and Northern counties Fermanagh (6,377 votes), Tyrone (4,993 votes) and Down (4,767 votes) have been rewarded with their place on the board.

Roscommon (17,557 votes) and Cork (13,546) people were so smitten with their counties they voted to make their homes number one and two.

=======================================================

I am sure we had more that 10,792 votes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Monopoly is dead to me now I dont want to own rosscommon ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Rob_l wrote:
    Monopoly is dead to me now I dont want to own rosscommon ever

I just spit my lemsip out. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rosscommon is Old Kent Road surely? (sorry never played a Dublin board)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Huge amount of cheating went on for this, plus I don't agree with councils e-mail there staff asking them to vote, surely thats a waste of tax payers money? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

tipperary didn't make it? i remember they were high up the leaderboard (maybe 1st) before the leaderboard was taken down from the monopoly website. looks like they may have been excluded altogether for cheating?

Just checked the original monopoly thread and as of 21-05-2007, 18:36 this is what the leaderboard looked like:
    Aquos76 wrote:
    Todays latests figures still raises unanswered questions

#1 26246 Roscommon
    #2 25741 Tipperary
    #3 18080 Cork
    #4 15649 Longford
    #5 15611 Donegal
    #6 15001 Waterford
    #7 13843 Dublin
    #8 12144 Fermanagh

lol @ tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 papa

As Hasbro said when they closed the vote, they would carry out authenticity checks on the email addresses provided.
    The results would be based on the results after those checks and not on the final closing figures!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I completely forgot about this. Hasbro contacted me about it during the summer and told me we got a good spot and there was a few supprises.. Must take a closer look over the next few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford is third, behind Roscommon & Cork

No.. fourth by the looks.

Sully wrote:
    No.. fourth by the looks.

eh? we're 3rd on the leaderboard below:

ie_bottom.jpg

i think the 4 provinces are going to be the where the train stations are on an original monopoly board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

what u people think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The cost of internet seems suitably expensive;)

Advertisement