Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bic 6'2" surfboard

Options
  • 01-10-2007 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

anyone know how this thing surfs? im interested in getting one, im not very user friendly to surfboard and like the durablility of these types.
    all the best,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 cjs_surf

Should be though as old boots but wouldn't be the best board to learn on unless you're a grommet

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

I'd avoid them like the plague.

Unless you are very small it wont help you progress. rather you will end up flailing about the place with a small board that weighs a ton and you will likely pose a threat to other surfers if you cant handle the board.

I'd suggest get something bigger 7' plus and learn to surf on that then move down to a shorter board when you are ready. You will learn to surf better and quicker cos you will get more haves and have more fun.
    Bic shortboards are not the way to learn unless you are a nipper.

If you aren't a beginner I'd still avoid them.
    From a performance perspective they turn like the Stenaline....
    Get yaself a custom baord from one of the irish shapers or pick up a second hand one.
    Theres a couple of nice shortboards for sale on irishsurfer.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

thanks, i think i am an advanced beginner, im looking at the southern surfboards 6 4 fish in limerick, looks good.
    all the best,
    Theo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

theo4130 wrote:
    anyone know how this thing surfs? im interested in getting one, im not very user friendly to surfboard and like the durablility of these types.
    all the best,
    its a 6ft7 you may be thinking of ? Bic do other sizes as well eg 7ft3 and 7ft 9. They are very durable , so you are right there - they are much more durable than custom boards of fibreglass / epoxy - and hold their secondhand value very well.( this may be something to do with the fact they are the biggest board makers in the world too ).

vesp wrote:
    this may be something to do with the fact they are the biggest board makers in the world too ).

do you work for bic?
    theo4130 wrote:
    i think i am an advanced beginner

a 6'4 fish is a pretty big jump. Also the southern surf fish on irishsurfer.com is actually 5'8 which wouldnt really do you any favours. the 6'4 advertised beside it is a pro shortboard model - prob not the best thing to come down to. maybe a 7' mini mal or a big standard thruster 6'10 plus with lots of volume might be the best way forward. go into your local surf shop - better still your nearest shaper and tell them (honestly) how your surfing is and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement

vesp wrote:
    this may be something to do with the fact they are the biggest board makers in the world too ).

do you work for bic?
    theo4130 wrote:
    i think i am an advanced beginner

a 6'4 fish is a pretty big jump. Also the southern surf fish on irishsurfer.com is actually 5'8 which wouldnt really do you any favours. the 6'4 advertised beside it is a pro shortboard model - prob not the best thing to come down to. it will all depend on your height/weight and surfing stansard...
    maybe a 7' mini mal or a big standard thruster 6'10 plus with lots of volume might be the best way forward. best bet is to go into your local surf shop - better still your nearest shaper and tell them (honestly) how your surfing is and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Spoony2

Gumby wrote:
    I'd avoid them like the plague.

Unless you are very small it wont help you progress. rather you will end up flailing about the place with a small board that weighs a ton and you will likely pose a threat to other surfers if you cant handle the board.

I'd suggest get something bigger 7' plus and learn to surf on that then move down to a shorter board when you are ready. You will learn to surf better and quicker cos you will get more haves and have more fun.
    Bic shortboards are not the way to learn unless you are a nipper.

I disagree some one who wants to start surfing properly a 7.0 or bigger is a bit of sketchy idea simply because you can only progress so far then its you stay at the level, i think something slightly smaller would allow some one to prograss a lot further then the longer boards which ar quite frankly gay :D but im shore ou understand what im saying.

Id go for something between6.6 and 6.11 I ride a 6.8 redstripe beer board its very thick swollow tailed, and genrally its not a bad board for what i paid for it.....

So i recon slightly smaller then 7.0 thats a bit thicker then a soon as you can afford it get your self a fish of about 6.2
    which I did, and kept the beer board for decoration in my flat....

Oh and hell no bic boards are they dont even feel like a surfboard....

how many times a year do you plan on going ?

Spoony2 wrote:
    prograss a lot further then the longer boards which ar quite frankly gay :D but im shore ou understand what im saying.....

ahh you must be one of these new school shortboarders who arrives up en mass to a break and flails around the place like a chump, annoying everyone else. It's the likes of ye who give other surfers a bad name.

I'd like to see you tell someone like Bonga Perkins that what he does on a longboard is homosexual.

Bonga-Perkins_Haleiwa.jpg
    Spoony2 wrote:
    which I did, and kept the beer board for decoration in my flat....

Do us all a favour and keep both ya boards up on your wall and keep your mindless childish opinions to yourself and out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Gumby wrote:
    ahh you must be one of these new school shortboarders who arrives up en mass to a break and flails around the place like a chump

A homophobic one at that!

Nothing wrong with the longboarders spoony. Lots of fun to be had on them.

Edit: Oops! I hinted there is fun to be had on longboardERS by accident. I don't want to stir upset within the ranks of good catholic homophobic surfers! I meant lots of fun to be had on longboards!

Sorry about that kids.

Gumby wrote: »
    ahh you must be one of these new school shortboarders who arrives up en mass to a break and flails around the place like a chump, annoying everyone else. It's the likes of ye who give other surfers a bad name.

I'd like to see you tell someone like Bonga Perkins that what he does on a longboard is homosexual.

Surfers have there own bad name I have nothing to do with the majority of them because I cant stand sitting in a pub discussing cloud break for the 90th time and doing much the same as you and saying oh how the pros wouldnt like me dissing them to be honest i don't think he would care more
    then likely he probably respect me for being honest and not kissing his ass :D
    like the majority of surf heads do....

Bonga-Perkins_Haleiwa.jpg

Do us all a favour and keep both ya boards up on your wall and keep your mindless childish opinions to yourself and out of the water.

yeah ? personally I know that opinion there really shows the true portentous
    surfer so yeah go p,lay in la hinich. and be shoulder soldier :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    A homophobic one at that!

Nothing wrong with the longboarders spoony. Lots of fun to be had on them.

Edit: Oops! I hinted there is fun to be had on longboardERS by accident. I don't want to stir upset within the ranks of good catholic homophobic surfers! I meant lots of fun to be had on longboards!

Sorry about that kids.

have you got issues with the catholic's personally I don't I think the hole god thing is a far fetched story told bye man who new people would listen because who else was doing the talking so dont even bring that cods wallop up with me.

I kniow this is usueally happens on my snowboarding sight some one diss's a an aspect of the sport and two of the members feel the need to attack in order to make them small and worthless not going to happen and why ???

what are you guys to me ?

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Spoony2 wrote: »
    have you got issues with the catholic's personally I don't I think the hole god thing is a far fetched story told bye man who new people would listen because who else was doing the talking so dont even bring that cods wallop up with me.

I kniow this is usueally happens on my snowboarding sight some one diss's a an aspect of the sport and two of the members feel the need to attack in order to make them small and worthless not going to happen and why ???

what are you guys to me ?

Nothing.

Try and keep your posts friendlier please. If we are nothing to you, stop posting here. You are talking gibberish.

Spoony

You gave that guy sh*t advice and you called longboarding gay.

With all due respect any surfer who buys a 6'2 fish and condemns their 6'8 to the wall for 'decoration' isn't really in a position to give advice. To me that smacks of the whole 'Im a surfer look at me... attitude' :rolleyes:

I just think you shouldn't bother wasting your time posting comments giving bad advice to beginners and calling other surfing codes gay. Granted freedom of speech etc but when im out surfing and a couple longboarders are out dominating a break and taking every set wave coming through part of it is because they have to put up with tripe like what you are spitting out on this forum so they have a 'bloody shortboarder...' attitude which tars me with the same brush as numpties like yourself. Which pisses me off. :mad:

I'll keep an eye out for that distinctive red stripe board in the line up if you ever have the balls to take it off the wall for surf bigger than 5ft. :o:o

Spoony

You gave that guy sh*t advice and you called longboarding gay.

Hoiw did i give **** advise i told him to get a board that will test hinm at first but be more to his advantage in the future compared to a mini mal which you only get so far on and then it is pointless. A board thast slightly shorter may be more diffiuclt to ride but then again if hes any good hel stick threw the hard ship and see a better gain from his cash... then buying longer board which only takes you so far...

With all due respect any surfer who buys a 6'2 fish and condemns their 6'8 to the wall for 'decoration' isn't really in a position to give advice. To me that smacks of the whole 'Im a surfer look at me... attitude' :rolleyes:

I haven't actually condemned it to the wall i won that board buy pure fluke and considering ive never won anything id like to be able to hold onto it ive broken my previous boards i wanna be able to hand it down to some poor kid or at least some one deserving of it not just use it until the **** glass that it is take's on more water then the titanic. I prefer to get my self another board and give it to some kid whole be able to use it and hopefullypass it down. untill then it will stay on the wall. I dont think thats saying im a surfer. I think thast saying im proud of what ive got why hide something away???? ....
    I just think you shouldn't bother wasting your time posting comments giving bad advice to beginners and calling other surfing codes gay. Granted freedom of speech etc but when im out surfing and a couple longboarders are out dominating a break and taking every set wave coming through part of it is because they have to put up with tripe like what you are spitting out on this forum so they have a 'bloody shortboarder...' attitude which tars me with the same brush as numpties like yourself. Which pisses me off. :mad:

I think its very unfair, to think that my advice is bad because you dont agree with it fine go down the traditional route but shore a 6.8 fish if you wanna call it that will give him some more take of and just be slightly easyer then ridein a poxy mini mal I dont like them i think there a pointless baord...Good for learning any further and there just boreing.

Man i actually dont have a problem with Long boarder's i was taking the piss. Or is that not aloud...

as for what me a short board i dotn tie my self as a boarder att all i go out there to be alone get away from work its the only place i can get away from work. Its not about being a super cool surfer who can do the moves i do it because i like being out there whens its piss raining in the middle of october and then going for a nice pint and steak i keep my self to my self.
    I'll keep an eye out for that distinctive red stripe board in the line up if you ever have the balls to take it off the wall for surf bigger than 5ft. :o:o

and what that supposed to mean ???

I was in the middle of writing you a PM to explain a couple things when I saw your posts on the localism thread. :confused:

You are a lost cause mate...

Theo : Hope you get the right board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement