Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt

Options
  • 01-10-2007 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is coming to live in ireland from portugal. She had bought a new car there (a seat). She's studying here for three years. She will be insuring and taxing the car in portugal. She has a permanent address (her mothers house) in portugal. The question is will she have to pay VRT on the car?

I told her she would, but she made the valid point of how will anyone know that she has been in the country so long, especially since she will be insuring it and taxing it in portugal.She could claim to cops that she just brought the car over in the last 3 months if she was ever stopped by the cops...

I'm sure the government must have some mechanism to track cases like hers, so can anyone fill me in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

as far as i know VRT only applies if youre a permanenet resident here , not jsut here to study .

I went to college with a german guy who had his golf here on German plates for 4 yrs.

Also, i think there is something like if you leave the country every 6 months and re-enter its ok.

Anyhow, check out the VRt website and show it to your friend , im sure youll find usefull info there in theFAQ

www.ros.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think if she is a permenant resident here she needs to produce evidence that she lived and owned the car outside the state for at least 6 months.

Also it isn't the cops she has to worry about, it's Customs. They have more powers than the cops. They can impound the car without her knowledge or permission. I have seen it being done. They are clamping down big time and I would image the VRT on a fairly new Seat would grab their interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

If she's had it for 6 months in Portugal then she doesn't have to pay VRT on it, but does have to get it on Irish plates. But I know people here always say that you can't get a Northern car just because your a student in the North, so presumably the same logic applies in reverse.

Personally I'd just leave it on Portuguese plates and not do anything, and if stopped say that you just came here on holiday or something (obviously this isn't legal advise).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I think C Breeze may be right about the study exemption.....but I wouldn't bet my car on it ;)

Phone your local VRT office, they will have more info than anyone on here.

Advertisement