Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Spiders...

Options
  • 01-10-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I've received an email that...

'...due to phenomenal demand the closing date for nominations for this years eircom Golden Spiders has been extended until Friday October 5th... '

Mmmm...whatever...

I've done some online research (on Boards mainly;) ) and it seems these awards provoke derision amongst the web design community. Is the criticism valid or is there a certain amount of 'professional jealousy' because those involved seem to be the larger web design agencies and the corporate sector in general?

I have a pretty jaundiced view of all these awards TBH, but the criticism aimed at the Golden Spiders seems particularly vicious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

You know you're opening a can of worms, don't you??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

pburns wrote:
    I've received an email that...

'...due to phenomenal demand the closing date for nominations for this years eircom Golden Spiders has been extended until Friday October 5th... '

Mmmm...whatever...

I've done some online research (on Boards mainly;) ) and it seems these awards provoke derision amongst the web design community. Is the criticism valid or is there a certain amount of 'professional jealousy' because those involved seem to be the larger web design agencies and the corporate sector in general?

I have a pretty jaundiced view of all these awards TBH, but the criticism aimed at the Golden Spiders seems particularly vicious...

The Golden Spiders are a complete and utter farce. It's a proven fact.
    • Sponsors of some categories are (amazingly) shortlisted in other categories
    • The judges have businesses in some categories
    • The awards do not reward quality. The judges simple aren't qualified to determine the quality of a website or service - they're not "Web heads" as such. More business people (with vested iterests I would assume)
    • Why charge 150 Euro per entry? This is not an altruistic award ceremony designed to help the industry. It's a money-making scame instigated for profit. It misleads patrons of Web and multimedia design

Here's the proof:
    http://www.redcardinal.ie/webdev/06-11-2006/golden-spiders/

Search Google for 'golden spider awards' and see what it comes back with. You could say it's 'professional jealousy' or 'sour grapes' or you could just look at the quality of the crap that gets awarded each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

These are the ones that you pay X amount of money to nominate yourself aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

As others have said, it seems to be basically you pay for an award. But oddly enough, "business people" are impressed by websites with Golden Spiders...

• Advertisement

It's not always the case that awards are "bought". I won one last year for one of my websites and we didn't sponsor a category. Both my client and I are small fry compared to a lot that go for these awards. Regardless of what people say, having a Golden Spider helps business... new clients are impressed that I've won an award... it doesn't hurt my business to have one. On a personal level, I hope this year they put more emphasis on standards, accessibility, etc. as well as design and functionality.

I don't really like the fee structure. I think there are a lot of sites out there that could win hands down but don't go for the awards because of the cost. I'd say you'd see a lot more higher quality sites in there if the fees were dropped/reduced.

Saying all that, I have 6 clients who are being nominated this year by me. All in all, the night is actually a great event to go to and has some solid networking opportunities. I know I made some great contacts last year. I think these forums have been well read by the organisers and this year may see a change in how things are run. It will be interesting to see how things progress.

Rgds, Dave

Well it'll be interesting to see the quality of the winners this year and whether the bar has been raised in that regards. Of course winning an award isn't bad for business but if the awards aren't being adjudicated by qualified people then it's bad for the industry as a whole and the people working on the ground suffer.

I would still suggest that there should be more designers, interface developers, usability people, IA's, etc. on the panel of judges. Why is the MD of eircom Retail there? Cicero Networks, B&F Magazine, Net Behaviour, INEX, Inhope, etc? Why are these people on the panel? Where are the incumbent talents of Irish Web design and development can someone tell me? Better yet, why aren't people like Ryan Carson, Jeffrey Zeldman, etc. judging these awards? It's not like the GS's can't afford to pay them to judge with the amount of cash they're making from entry fees! Where the credibility?

The one glimmer of hope this year is the involvement of IQ Content. With any luck, there'll be a barrier set for entry when it comes to quality of execution for some of the websites entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

150 entry fee? For the larger awards it's 1500. Also, some categories only have one applicant - so if you pay the 1500, then your going to get the award.

I don't see how thats not buying an award.

If they only judge the people who buy into their award system, it's not a true contest between the designers in Ireland. I'll put my work up against any site they have, however, I'm not willing to shell out 1500 to do it.

It's like those Joyce awards or Best Irish Pub awards you see inside restaurants and pubs across the country. Visit the website, pay the 200 euro, get the plaque.

The golden spiders are pretty much on the same level.

If they went out and looked at the designers and companies based in Ireland and then judged them, I'd have a different view, but having people 'pay' absorbent amounts to be judged is a bit fixed IMHO.

Where does it say 1500 for an entry?

• Advertisement

CptSternn wrote:
    150 entry fee? For the larger awards it's 1500. Also, some categories only have one applicant - so if you pay the 1500, then your going to get the award..
    Where are you getting 1500 from?

It clearly states on the site that the entry fee is 150:
    http://www.goldenspiders.ie/news.php

I think he's talking about the price of a table at the event... another sure-fire way to improve your chances of winning an award. Actually, I wonder has anyone ever won an award who DIDN'T shell out to be there on the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Last time I checked the best web design company was 1500 - however it looks like they have changed that.

I did notice it's 250-260 quid a seat to go to the awards. That means if you pay the 150 to enter, then bring your employees, your going to be paying a nice bit of dosh just to *be* there after you have to pay to nominate yerself to be there...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Golden Spiders? More like Golden Showers!

Look - it's a money-making scam with no accountability for the judiciary. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BSmith

Cough,
    I don't enter, and I don't know anyone who believes 100% in the true purpose of the awards.

None the less best of luck to all the nominees, you won't find me putting any clients site up for €150.00

Seeing as the event is less than 2 weeks away, does anyone have any idea when the 'Internet Hero' and 'Grand Prix' short lists are going to be announced? Or are these just token awards for golf buddies?

The "hero" is usually someone who has made a big impact during the course of their career to date. As far as I know there isn't a shortlist of any kind (at least not a public one)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I love the first line of the linked Boards.ie discussion on the awards

• Advertisement
Advertisement