Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a mobile phone

• 01-10-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I've finally decided my O2 Atom XDA isn't doing it for me (hence the signature), so I am on the lookout for a new phone.

As I use the train every day, MP3 player and FM radio are probably the most important features. Along with one-handed use. I am sick of using a stylus to tap out text messages. :)

Memory card is important, but I think most decent phones nowadays take them, I would need one that supports at least 1Gig. Wifi, as I have now found out, is utterly unimportant to me, as is 3G. Bluetooth, however is vital, as is voice dialing.

Camera is less important, but I would like one with 3megapixel camera.

So far, I've been looking at the Sony Ericsson W960i or the K800i. I am a big fan of SonyEricsson. I'm not convinced I want an iPhone, I want to get away from the touch screen.

Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

The Nokia 6300 has a 2 megapixel camera and micro sd slot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tom I have the k800i myself and it is a great phone. The only problem with it is it uses the micro m2 memory cards (sony's proprietary format) which is more expensive than sd cards. Although I did get a 2GB m2 card off ebay for around €40 which is more expensive than the sd cards but a lot cheaper than the prices in the shop (I seen a 1GB m2 card for €50 :eek:).

I think it takes cards of up to 4GB but I can't be certain. It definitely takes 2GB cards.

It also comes with a cable for connecting to your computer which it picks up like it's a usb stick. This is great for transfering pictures, videos and songs.

It is a great phone but I think sony are releasing the k850i soon which is an upgraded version with a 5mp camera. I have no idea of price or release date for it but I'll take a look.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hey Tom I found a review for the k850i. Here it is. I haven't read it myself but I'd say it's more or less the same as the k800i with a better camera. I'm not a fan od the looks either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The Nokia 6300 has a 2 megapixel camera and micro sd slot.

Yeah, I was oogling Mrs. Dunne's 6300 yesterday. Even though it doesn't have the specs, it is one slinky phone.

Using my XDA for a phonecall is like speaking into a slice of toast in comparison. I am very tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Hi Tom,

I just picked up the Nokia E65 the other day and i have to say im very happy with it, its small light and slick looking, has a nice big screen and allows for VOIP calls and some other nice features.

Id reccomend going into one of the mobile providers shops and getting a hands on look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hey Tom I found a review for the k850i. Here it is. I haven't read it myself but I'd say it's more or less the same as the k800i with a better camera. I'm not a fan od the looks either.

Thanks for that, AC. I agree it looks a bit of a pig.

I am beginning to think that I am no longer willing to pay over €150 for a phone, seeing as last year I paid €700 for my XDA and it is now selling for €400 new. :(

I'm going to drop down to the various phone shops at lunch time to see what they have.

tom dunne wrote:
    I am beginning to think that I am no longer willing to pay over €150 for a phone, seeing as last year I paid €700 for my XDA and it is now selling for €400 new. :(

:eek: Shit I wouldn't blame you after that. Depreciation is a nasty thing.

Advertisement