Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hsdpa sim free mobile on Three?

• 01-10-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

If I have my own hsdpa such as a HTC TyTN II and I put a three sim card with their mobile broadband add on (the one for phones, not the standalone one) will I be able to access the internet through the hsdpa connection?

Are there any limitations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

I have the tytn II and am on x series with three. Once setup there will be a lot of things you cant use. My3 is basicially useless, you wont be able to download any clips or view them and half the links will tell you your not using your 3phone.

Msn doesnt work with it, fring doesnt. You can browse web just fine, havent had much problems with it. Skype currently is working for me but its not the same as the 3 skype on say the e65 so you will use your data up. Thats about it, any other questions about it just let me know.

Rags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Rags, try Fring today.. is it working?

Ravage, I get HSDPA speeds on my E90 using three so you'll be fine.

Ya just tried it again, still not working for me unfortunalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Ravage

So what I was thinking was getting the following:

Talk Anytime 100 €19 a month
    Mobile Broadband Unlimited €19.99 a month

So just under €40 a month.

Would I have to configure the TyTN II or is the hsdpa automatic?

Using skype with the Broadband Unlimited shouldn't be a problem as I doubt I'd used even a couple hundred megabytes a month.

Also can you access Hotmail through the phone using the Live service?

And is messenger really not working on with Three on the TyTN II?

Setting it up is easy. Hsdpa is automatic but there is an option to enable/disable it.

Ya msn isnt working for me at all, works on wireless fine so its obviously three and there usual messing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Rags wrote:
    Setting it up is easy. Hsdpa is automatic but there is an option to enable/disable it.

Ya msn isnt working for me at all, works on wireless fine so its obviously three and there usual messing.

Rags can you tell me have you been able to use pocket outlook pop3 mail at all with 3.

Also do other windows mobile 3rd party apps still work with 3.
    Stuff like radio streaming apps, real player, rss readers and weather/currency converter apps etc.

I'm thinking of moving back to them if atleast some of this stuff still works.
    Thanks.

Pop3 mail, not working as of yet for me. All I really use is the htc plugin weather thing which works fine, skype, browse youtube and the web. And IPSMS for sending texts.

If you want me to test out any application pm the details and I can test and let you know if it works for me before you switch.

I emailed them today about the port blocking, so hopefully I can get that sorted and start viewing my emails on the go.

Rags wrote:
    Pop3 mail, not working as of yet for me. All I really use is the htc plugin weather thing which works fine, skype, browse youtube and the web. And IPSMS for sending texts.

If you want me to test out any application pm the details and I can test and let you know if it works for me before you switch.

I emailed them today about the port blocking, so hopefully I can get that sorted and start viewing my emails on the go.

Cheers.
    That pop3 thing is the worst alright.
    I hate the idea of having pocket outlook sitting there completely redundant. Webmail just isn't the same.
    If you ever get pop3 sorted on your device you might let me know. :)

I've gone to www.m.youtube.com as well but no luck.
    My p3600 is very similar to the tytn II so it should work.
    What do you do to get it working?

That's good to hear though that some 3rd party apps work still.
    Seems not to be as locked down as voda's apn so.

Are you making full use of skype as well- It never worked properly for me when i was with 3 before :confused:
    I'll pm you that stuff so- i can send you the demo cab files for the programs as well if you want to test them out yourself.

BTW how do you find the tytn II- the tilting screen is a real plus i'd say.
    And it's micro-sdhc enabled which means you can put an awful lot of stuff on it. What satnav are you using with it?

I will check for you later about the 3party programs. For youtube installed a program tcmtp And some other program then soft reset and go to http://www.youtube.com/?nomobile=1. Not the one for mobiles it doesn't work. Do a search for it works well. Think it only works on wm6 tho.

The tilt screen is great. Best phone I ever had. Posting from it now

Rags wrote:
    I will check for you later about the 3party programs. For youtube installed a program tcmtp And some other program then soft reset and go to http://www.youtube.com/?nomobile=1. Not the one for mobiles it doesn't work. Do a search for it works well. Think it only works on wm6 tho.

The tilt screen is great. Best phone I ever had. Posting from it now

Thanks.
    I got betaplayer alright which is the old version of TCPMP (i think they're nearly identical apps otherwise though).
    Never knew TCPMP could play youtube clips like that though.
    Must give it a try when i ever get a proper data connection going.
    BTW i sent those cabs on.

• Advertisement

Grand so, checking them out now and I'll let you know how it goes. TCPMP and some other patch, a softreset and youtube will work fine on wm6. Google it tho for better instructions cause I forget exact details.

Btw 3 rang me after I sent an email yesterday and after a lot of messing about on the phone with them, the guy I was talking too (got his name but I havent a hope of spelling it) said the ports that were blocked more then likely wont be changed as there were problems with the service when they had them open. Something to that effect.

Ohh not good. Sounds like then it will be unlikley to get msn messenger and other services to work with the TyTN or a non 3 phone any time soon :( :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I have a Windows Mobile 5 device (FS Loox T830) sim free. I have been using it with my three sim for the last year. I have no problem accessing my IMAP or POP 3 email. So three do not block these ports.

If email is not working on your Tytn II on WM6 it is most likely a configuration or device problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Just an update on my above post.

I just tried to down my emails to my pocket outlook and it failed to connect.

They seem to have blocked the ports. My last successful connection to my email was wednesday the 26th of October.

I must give them a call this evening. Whatever about blocking ports for voip or p2p software it is completly unacceptable to block email.

I also have my Nokia N73 (phone supplied by 3) setup to download my emails.

When I ring them I wont mention I am using a non 3 windows mobile device. Their customer service people seem to use the "I am sorry sir we dont offer support to customers using that device" option all to easily.

Downloaded those cabs bud and bad news for you. Most didn't work. Will give you details later when I am on my pc. All work on wireless. The weather one was fine. Think that's about all that worked. Rest gave errors.

Couldn't install gmail client btw.

leahcim wrote:
    I have a Windows Mobile 5 device (FS Loox T830) sim free. I have been using it with my three sim for the last year. I have no problem accessing my IMAP or POP 3 email. So three do not block these ports.

If email is not working on your Tytn II on WM6 it is most likely a configuration or device problem.

Hi Leahcim, we were also talking specifically about HSDPA access also, the FS Loox T830 does not have HSDPA avaliable and thus can not connect to the Three HSDPA network.

The configurations between their 3G and HSDPA (3.5G) could also be different, something to keep in mind.

Rags wrote:
    Downloaded those cabs bud and bad news for you. Most didn't work. Will give you details later when I am on my pc. All work on wireless. The weather one was fine. Think that's about all that worked. Rest gave errors.

Couldn't install gmail client btw.

OK thanks.
    I'd be interested to know which ones worked via Wi-fi but not via 3.

That disappointing because when i was with three about 6 weeks ago most of this stuff worked including the java gmail app.

With regard to the java gmail app that should open within the Midlet Manager on your phone (i'm fairly sure the Tytn II has a midlet manager).

With the other apps are you connected to the internet before you use them?
    Sometimes you'll get an error if your not.
    For example I know that with pocketRSS you need to be connected first before you can update its RSS feeds.

The same is true for the MyTV app AFAIK.

To get GSPlayer to stream radio you need to go to shoutcast in pocketIE (or another browser) and download playlist (pls.) files from shoutcast to your device.
    Then you open up GSPlayer and open the pls. file from within the player and it should connect to the radio stream.
    That didn't work did it?

Some of the stuff i gave you like mortplayer and the Cork flight timetables cab don't actually use any internet connection, I just threw them in because they are good apps.
    How do you find mortplayer BTW?

And do you think you'll make use of the other apps at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gnollo

Does ORB work on the HTC or is it also blocked?
    How do you receive emails on it?

Hey, ok tried out most of them. Will just concentrate on the ones that use net connection. First off Rss reader worked on wifi grand, but not on three, Couldnt update with it. Weather programs were fine, tv guide updated fine. Thats about all I can remember working with it.

Rss reader was good, pity it doesnt work for me on three, only other one I'd keep is the data monitor, very handy. Think I wasting money being on the unlimited package, will just switch to the 250mb one as with all this port blocking thats all the use I will get out of it.

Rags wrote:
    Hey, ok tried out most of them. Will just concentrate on the ones that use net connection. First off Rss reader worked on wifi grand, but not on three, Couldnt update with it. Weather programs were fine, tv guide updated fine. Thats about all I can remember working with it.

Rss reader was good, pity it doesnt work for me on three, only other one I'd keep is the data monitor, very handy. Think I wasting money being on the unlimited package, will just switch to the 250mb one as with all this port blocking thats all the use I will get out of it.

OK thanks.
    That's a pity if GSPlayer can't stream radio.

I would also recommend you give Mortplayer a try as an mp3 player though.
    Very intuitive interface, a lot handier than Windows Media Player Mobile (there's even a car mode for easy use while driving).

• Advertisement
Advertisement