Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new scheduled bus service from town to airport

Options
  • 01-10-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

erm not really, but thought it might get your attention, recently traveled from the bus station out to the airport on the strandhill service, now i know the bus drops off and picks up at request, but it may not always be a straight forward conection, i flew on the morning service to dublin, now whilst the plane was not quite full, and the bus got me to the airport half an hour before my flight, i am surprised that bus eirrean has not capitalised on this, maybe it already has been considered by them, but when you think, all it would require would be a twice daily service, dropping off approx 45 to 60 mins before the morning and evening departure to dublin, and lifting ariving passengers back to town, with a possible stop at standhill as well, and a service with consideration for the flights to/from manchester.

when you consider that the dublin route is nearly always full, and a taxi from town is nearly e15, this would be a great opertunity, now you could say, stew, whats your issue, you got in time for your flight, didn't you, i did, yes, but it left again straight after i got off, now wouldn't it be handy, if it was a scheduled service, and it was available for the people arriving to strandhill to bring them back to the town

dont know what any of the rest of you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

I think it sounds like it did exactly what you needed to be honest but if I understand you correctly sounds like it does nothing for someone flying in? It only goes to the airport if it's requested? Sounds like a glaring oversight from Bus Eireann.

I wonder did it go there at the start but it wasn't been used much so they stopped?

Either way I doubt it would cost them too much to designated certain times that the route extended to dropping by the airport, maybe around the times that coincided with the incoming flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

slavigo wrote:
    I think it sounds like it did exactly what you needed to be honest but if I understand you correctly sounds like it does nothing for someone flying in? It only goes to the airport if it's requested? Sounds like a glaring oversight from Bus Eireann.

I wonder did it go there at the start but it wasn't been used much so they stopped?

Either way I doubt it would cost them too much to designated certain times that the route extended to dropping by the airport, maybe around the times that coincided with the incoming flights.

exactly, it done waht i required at the time, but for arriving passengers, who wanted to use the service when they land, would either need to ring the bus station beofre hand to request it comes out, or hope by coincidence that there was one there, my bus left straight away again about 40 minutes before the ariving passengers disembarked, meaning that if they did arrange for the bus to come out to them they would need to wait on the next shuelded strandhill service which would have been later in the morning

a schuelded service, running in conjuction with ariving and departing flihgts would be a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Seeing as Strandhill now has a population of 2,000, most of whom go to school or work in the town, the service is pretty appalling. There's buses in the morning at "going to work time" and buses in the evening at "going home time" and a few in between. In this day and age where people work at odd hours instead of the traditional ones, it's not suitable. There really should be a bus every half hour between 7.30a.m. and 9.30p.m. It would seem pointless at the start, but once people came to get used of regular buses that keep to schedule, I'm certain it would justify itself. Especially as parking and traffic are dire in the town. Same for Ballysadare and Collooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I work out beside the airport and I would gladly leave the car behind a day or two to take the bus!

The Manchester flights have only started recently so maybe BE are waiting to see how it beds down or maybe they're just missing an oppertunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

To complicate matters, just saw this Sligo Weekender
    article. Looks like there changing the entrance to the airport. Taking it out of the village. Didn't think it caused that much traffic. I'll bet they're trying to open up access to the land that the new road would cut. More houses anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gillie wrote:
    I work out beside the airport and I would gladly leave the car behind a day or two to take the bus!

The Manchester flights have only started recently so maybe BE are waiting to see how it beds down or maybe they're just missing an oppertunity!

i think their definatly missing an opertunity, like i said, the dublin flight i was on was almost full, from i what i hear its the same for all the flights as well

slavigo wrote:
    To complicate matters, just saw this Sligo Weekender
    article. Looks like there changing the entrance to the airport. Taking it out of the village. Didn't think it caused that much traffic. I'll bet they're trying to open up access to the land that the new road would cut. More houses anyone?

There's a good bit to be fair but there's also a lot of Dog walkers and surfers who pull up here so it's much of a muchness!

I wouldn't say there is enough to justify it!

Concentrate on sorting out the N15 to Bunduff bridge!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say one of the main reasons why the bus doesn't really have the airport on it's route (only by request) is that there is no bus stop at the airport ...i.e any space where the bus could pull in safely and let people in and out.

All there is is a fairly tight one entrance/exit roundabout right in front of the terminal and a parking lot which is not big enough for the bus to maneuvre around in and in and out of.

There is a spot about 50 yards away where he can turn the bus if hes any good of a driver!

Seen a Barna Waste truck go round that turn today at some speed!
    Thought it was gonna topple!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Still not a great spot to let off passengers, especially passengers that may have to get luggage out of the compartment etc as it would still be in the middle of the road.

• Advertisement

I agree totally!
    Bad design but I still feel it could be easily fixed!

Advertisement