Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

Options
  • 01-10-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

If you fail four of your 12 exams thus giving you 40 credits out of 60 and so fail the year.
    The next year do you have to repeat all of the year you failed or just the four exams you failed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Just the four modules you've failed as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

How does compensation work? How many subjects can you compensate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

stolenwine wrote:
    How does compensation work? How many subjects can you compensate?

You can compensate two modules with an E grade providing you have attained passing grades in 75% of all modules assessed. This is done automatically on SIS providing that it applies to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

How many exams are you allowed to repeat that you have failed? Just mild interest I'm not predicting the future !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

All of them afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

If you fail 4 at Christmas, you get to resit them in the summer along with the rest of your semester 2 exams. If you fail in summer though you'd have to remain in the same year (ie. the year you failed in), and take the failed modules (if available) or just resit the exam at Christmas (if the modules aren't available in semester 1). They'll only let you into the next year if you have 50 credits though. So once you pass those Christmas repeats, you then start the next year in January, and are effectively half a year behind all your peers! So you'd finish your degree in December rather than the summer before.
    In arts its mad complicated! The guy in the arts office who explained it to me claimed that even they all didn't understand it fully. All this stuff about being in 'Stage X' instead of stage 1, 2, 3 etc. Beats repeating a whole year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Ok... this is very confusing but I'll give it a shot. This is what I have been told by the programme office but do not take this as being completely accurate - if you're in such a situation or have any questions GO TO THE PROGRAMME OFFICE. Thats what they're paid for.

The government (Higher Education Authority specifically) pays for 60 credits a year of your undergraduate degree.

I was in the position stated by the OP (40 of 60 credits) in september. The following isn't applicable to christmas exams, where the resits can be sit concurrently with your summer exams.

2 of these were marked down as "resits", two as "repeats".

"Resits" are credit neutral, repeats take up 5 credits a semester. You pay 200 euro a piece for each of them (800 euro for 4 modules of 5 credits).

You can forward claim on fees - basically means that you can take credits from the 60 paid for by the HEA for your second year even if you haven't progressed.

So basically, this means you can take 20 odd credits for your semester one along with your repeats (Stage X as its referred to) and then you can go into second year officialy after christmas and take 30/35 of the remaining credits. Unfortunately, if you fail core modules in your subjects (SOC10010 in arts for example), you will not be able to take the core modules for second year till you've progressed as you've not fulfilled the pre-requisites within the school.

You'll probably be carrying a 5 or 10 credit deficit into 3rd year with you, but as you'll have 50 credits you'll be allowed progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I passed all my semester one modules last year but failed 3 of my semester 2 modules (and 1 fail from first year which im carrying a year behind if ya get me). Ie i got 35 credits last year but im doing semester one of 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

B-K-DzR wrote:
    I passed all my semester one modules last year but failed 3 of my semester 2 modules (and 1 fail from first year which im carrying a year behind if ya get me). Ie i got 35 credits last year but im doing semester one of 3rd year.

How? What are you doing?

Advertisement