Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need To Escape Dublin -Please Help

Options
  • 01-10-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Okay,

Looking for advice. I am sick to my eye teeth of living in Dublin OR ANY city for that matter. I have gotten to the point where I just cannot handle the endless crowds, ridiculasly high prices for EVERYTHING, concrete and rubbish everywhere etc etc.

I want to move as far away from "modern"society as possible. Open fields , beautiful scenery and peace and quiet. Somewhere where I can go walking and actually ENJOY not breathing the stale city air.
    Just to clarify, Im 23, and yes I do like to go out (rock,trad goth,80s, and irish trad) but I can commute back up to Dublin once every 3 weeks or so for a visit and go out then, so nightlife is not so important.

I am looking into moving to some remote part of the West/North West and looking for suggestions. Where is the most untouched, scenic, beautiful and remote place you can think of for me to move to???? Suggestions folks. Dont suggest a city please.

The sad girl who can`t handle the 21st centuary......

Ruth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Inishowen or the Fanad peninsula in Donegal. There are plenty of houses for sale, some of them very remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes anywhere is Donegal... there is feck all there but holiday homes and one or two locals :D
    To be honest though even North Dublin is remote. Once you go north of Finglas there is nothing there but fields etc. The area around the Ward for instance. Nothing there but a few remote houses. You are then very close to the city but you would never know it when you look out your window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

If ya can afford it live anywhere around Lough Gill in Sligo/Leitrim.

Beside a lake with Mountains and Woods galore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Okay,

Looking for advice. I am sick to my eye teeth of living in Dublin OR ANY city for that matter. I have gotten to the point where I just cannot handle the endless crowds, ridiculasly high prices for EVERYTHING, concrete and rubbish everywhere etc etc.

I want to move as far away from "modern"society as possible. Open fields , beautiful scenery and peace and quiet. Somewhere where I can go walking and actually ENJOY not breathing the stale city air.
    Just to clarify, Im 23, and yes I do like to go out (rock,trad goth,80s, and irish trad) but I can commute back up to Dublin once every 3 weeks or so for a visit and go out then, so nightlife is not so important.

I am looking into moving to some remote part of the West/North West and looking for suggestions. Where is the most untouched, scenic, beautiful and remote place you can think of for me to move to???? Suggestions folks. Dont suggest a city please.

The sad girl who can`t handle the 21st centuary......

Ruth

I fully understand your plight :( , Maybe we need a group of like minded people to start a new type of commune ?.. with a bit of government support, after all every community had to start somewhere ?.. anyone got any constructive suggestions !.

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I was that soldier, we felt the same way and upped sticks this time last year, after 10 years in Dublin, the last 3 or 4 being 'the hell' as you described.

Best decision ever.... whilst you are younger than me (36), if you genuinely feel that way.... just do it, live is too short to be unhappy.

• Advertisement

smashey wrote:
    Inishowen or the Fanad peninsula in Donegal. There are plenty of houses for sale, some of them very remote.

Do you know of any to rent ?.. or perhaps multiple joint mortgage might be an option !.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I don't know of any to rent Paddy. I've been in Fanad a lot recently and have noticed the for sale signs.

smashey wrote:
    I don't know of any to rent Paddy. I've been in Fanad a lot recently and have noticed the for sale signs.

Then if that is the case, then perhaps there is an opportunity for a group of like minded people to get together, pool thier resources and convert a large property to suit both single's and couple's ?.. This may need a new thread, and I can not think of a proper title at this moment. A thread for those who wish to live away from the rat race.

Maybe the mod's might come up with an appropriate title :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

my god the commune is starting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Why am I having thoughts of Waco and Ruby Ridge here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Paddy20 wrote:
    Then if that is the case, then perhaps there is an opportunity for a group of like minded people to get together, pool thier resources and convert a large property to suit both single's and couple's ?.. This may need a new thread, and I can not think of a proper title at this moment. A thread for those who wish to live away from the rat race.

The screamers are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....The sad girl who can`t handle the 21st centuary......
    Therein lies you problem Ruth. Moving to a remote area won't help that and could make it worse.

There are beautiful isolated areas in Donegal but bear in mind that you can't eat scenery or farm a view!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Paddy20 wrote:

Would a housing Co-op be the kind of thing you had in mind paddy? Would keep the op busy too. Its the kind of thing you can set up if theres a need and likeminded people.
    http://www.nabco.ie/definition.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Too right Paddy,

I would be all for starting that group. Escape, escape, escape!
    If we could get a group of people interested in forming a self sufficient community, and then find a premisies to live in, that would be a start. Somewhere where we could grow our own vegetables etc, as far removed from city life as possible. Campfires and storytelling to replace queing for 45 minuites for a taxi amongst drunkards on Saturday night, that sort of thing....

Ruth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Paddy20 wrote:

Maybe you could kill two birds....
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Can anyone elighten me , if we have a claim on Roackall or Rockhall and the assets, why have we not claimed it.

Gillie wrote:
    Why am I having thoughts of Waco and Ruby Ridge here!

Gillie,

This is Ireland, for heavens sake ;) . Your thoughts are a bit off topic :(

P.:cool:

tuppence wrote:
    Would a housing Co-op be the kind of thing you had in mind paddy? Would keep the op busy too. Its the kind of thing you can set up if theres a need and likeminded people.
    http://www.nabco.ie/definition.htm

Good suggestion tuppence :) .

P.:cool:

Too right Paddy,

I would be all for starting that group. Escape, escape, escape!
    If we could get a group of people interested in forming a self sufficient community, and then find a premisies to live in, that would be a start. Somewhere where we could grow our own vegetables etc, as far removed from city life as possible. Campfires and storytelling to replace queing for 45 minuites for a taxi amongst drunkards on Saturday night, that sort of thing....

Ruth

Maybe the link supplied by tuppence could prove to be a valid starting point ?.

Paddy20 wrote:
    Maybe the link supplied by tuppence could prove to be a valid starting point ?.

The lack of response, only confirms my belief that we have become a I'm all jack, stuff you society unless you are prepared to join the rat race spineless wonders who have sold thier souls to mammon, then go and join the ,disenherited sleep in a doorway brigade whose options are gradually being closed off by greed.:mad: .

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    The lack of response, only confirms my belief that we have become a I'm all jack, stuff you society unless you are prepared to join the rat race spineless wonders who have sold thier souls to mammon, then go and join the ,disenherited sleep in a doorway brigade whose options are gradually being closed off by greed.:mad: .

Stay on topic please.

• Advertisement

Well, it`s what I expected. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well, it`s what I expected. ....
    What is what you expected?

Paddy made a comment about the lack of response.

I didnt expect many people to be interested in the idea suggested so Im not too surprised
    Ruth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Hi Ruth. Would hate you to get too demoralised. There are already communities out there that may be up your street and you could build on what they are doing or perhaps have people who would be interested to set up something on the housing side along with it.
    There is for example the organic centre in leitrim. This is about as unspoilt as it gets and has an ethos that you may well appreciate.
    http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/
    This area is a eco tourism area so google Greenbox as well which may give you ideas for work or approaching folk/organisations who might be interested in setting something up or be aware of something in existence already.And of course theres the organic market co-ops etc for work too etc.
    Best of luck
    Tuppence

tuppence wrote: »
    Hi Ruth. Would hate you to get too demoralised. There are already communities out there that may be up your street and you could build on what they are doing or perhaps have people who would be interested to set up something on the housing side along with it.
    There is for example the organic centre in leitrim. This is about as unspoilt as it gets and has an ethos that you may well appreciate.
    http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/
    This area is a eco tourism area so google Greenbox as well which may give you ideas for work or approaching folk/organisations who might be interested in setting something up or be aware of something in existence already.And of course theres the organic market co-ops etc for work too etc.
    Best of luck
    Tuppence

Good on ya Tuppence :).

Paddy made a comment about the lack of response.

I didnt expect many people to be interested in the idea suggested so Im not too surprised
    Ruth

Fair comment Ruth:).

Advertisement