Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband vista problems

Options
  • 01-10-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

hopefully either someone has had a similar problem or knows how to fix this.

I installed eircom broadband home starter on my neighbors Dell Fujitsu Siemens computer.
    It is running Vista home basic.
    Got the broadband running but the problem now is that the DVD writer is not working. When I put any cd,dvd, music cd or film into the drive open up my computer and double click dvd drive (E:) I am getting error saying that there is no disc in the drive.
    I have checked the Device Manager and there are no conflicts that I can see i.e. no yellow marks.

I can reboot using the system restore disc, but this is the only way the drive works.

Any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Upgrade to XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanmacaoidh

If only I could,
    It's a friends computer and nothing new has been installed and he wants to keep vista because its new

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It reads DVDs from BIOS. Can it read the restore disc from inside Vista? If not, it might be a compatibility issue.

It will reboot to the restore dvd but when you put it in normally no joy.
    There is a friend in work who is better with vista than I am he may get a chance to look at it later in the week, I just want to fix it myself if I can. Other than than that the only thing is to reload vista and wipe the old system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Talisman

Have you tried reconnecting the drive on a different channel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You mentioned the system restore disc, but have you tried going back to a previous restore point using System Restore?

I presume its an ethernet connection you are using, so broadband should still work regardless, once you have rolled back to a restore point.

This only happened over the week end and I will have a look at it tonight,
    I don't know about the roll back as it is so new I don't think there is a restore point. As for changing the channel, I take it you mean the cable on the back of the drive? if it is the only problem is that the box has a security seal on it and while I did think of it I do not want to void his warranty. I am probably going to look for a restore point( should have though of that). And if there is none I may reboot and reinstall vista over it's self

Advertisement