Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Ireland + hsdpa?

• 01-10-2007 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Is it possible to have the hsdpa added to a contract sim card?

Right now it looks like you can only get the normal broadband for €40 a month extra, but Three is offering mobile broadband as part of your phone for €20 (I know the data amount is less also).

Has anybody done this for O2 yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ravage wrote:
    Is it possible to have the hsdpa added to a contract sim card?

Right now it looks like you can only get the normal broadband for €40 a month extra, but Three is offering mobile broadband as part of your phone for €20 (I know the data amount is less also).

Has anybody done this for O2 yet?

I haven't actually done it, but I was talking to Data Support and they told me it was possible. Though it is an extra €40 for 2Gb on top of what you are already paying. Given that the minimum contract with 02 is €20, that's at least €60 a month for combined voice and data. Not worth it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Ravage

The Three data connection and basic line rental appears to be €40 a month, but only 2gb of data. That's more than enough for myself, but it would appear that there are some limitations on using the HSDPA through Three on a non three phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can't add the Broadband onto a voice plan. I've rang them about 10 times asking. I wish they'd sort it out soon, would be a real positive for O2 :(

@ Ravage - I think they've offering to put you on their old "Heavy" plan which you can find here - http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Business/Price+Plans/Old+price+plans/3G+data+card+tariffs

Ohh now that's interesting.

What a nightmare, I wish somebody would really concider the options out there, they would get a lot of signups if they were offering the right packages.

"they would get a lot of signups if they were offering the right packages."

This is true of everything unfortunitly :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ravage wrote:
    they would get a lot of signups if they were offering the right packages.

That's what 3 did and look what happened there.

ciaranfo wrote:
    You can't add the Broadband onto a voice plan. I've rang them about 10 times asking. I wish they'd sort it out soon, would be a real positive for O2

Who were you talking to? Was it the regular support, or data support? The latter know their stuff, the former don't really know much about data plans.

I was assured on two separate occasions, by two different data support people that adding a 2gig data plan to a voice plan was possible.

Ring data support and see what they say.

@tom dunne

Read what I wrote in my posts. By Broadband I mean their €40 per month for 10GB plan.

From what's been mentioned here it seems they're offering an old €40 pm (ex VAT) for 2GB plan as an addon instead. This I do not dispute as I've done it before myself!

So does anybody know then if you can add the broadband to a voice package and access hsdpa from your mobile and voice calls at the same time?

Last time I called o2 they told me to go into a shop! Grrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

Ravage wrote:
    So does anybody know then if you can add the broadband to a voice package and access hsdpa from your mobile and voice calls at the same time?

Last time I called o2 they told me to go into a shop! Grrrr.

You can add a 2gb package onto a voice package for E40 per month.
    This is a data bundle it does not mean you have access to HSDPA - you need a HSDPA device eg Modem Nokia N95 etc for this.

On a new connection you can get the USB Modem this route allows you 10gb per month.

• Advertisement

Shredneck wrote:
    You can add a 2gb package onto a voice package for E40 per month.
    This is a data bundle it does not mean you have access to HSDPA - you need a HSDPA device eg Modem Nokia N95 etc for this.

On a new connection you can get the USB Modem this route allows you 10gb per month.

Yeah it allows you to use the GPRS and 3G (edge?) access upto 2gb, that's more than enough for me, but €40 is a lot for a slow connection.

My phone has HSDPA and technically could connect fine to the O2 network, but they don't bundle the HSDPA and voice in a single sim.

I've emailed their tecnical support to ask what the story is and will post back what get off them.

Ravage wrote:
    Yeah it allows you to use the GPRS and 3G (edge?) access upto 2gb, that's more than enough for me, but €40 is a lot for a slow connection.

Slow connection?
    Ravage wrote:
    My phone has HSDPA and technically could connect fine to the O2 network, but they don't bundle the HSDPA and voice in a single sim

Are you sure about that? I was lead to believe that the data bundle was just that - data. How you connected (e.g. gprs, EDGE, 3G or HSDPA) was down to the device you were using.

tom dunne wrote:
    Slow connection?

GPRS and 3G are a low slower than HSDPA. For instance something like Skype will not work over GPRS and I doubt Edge either. You pretty much require HSDPA for it to work.

tom dunne wrote:
    Are you sure about that? I was lead to believe that the data bundle was just that - data. How you connected (e.g. gprs, EDGE, 3G or HSDPA) was down to the device you were using.

There is a "Heavy User" option that O2 offer that is 2gb a month, but they do not specify if it is HSDPA, from what i've heard and from what the customer services say, it's not HSDPA. Also the download limit is 2gb and not 10gb like the Mobile Broadband.

To get access to the HSDPA with a voice plan, (mobile calls and data (through HSDPA) from the same device) is not possible from O2 yet it would appear.

Vodafone offer it at a rather expensive price, but they also block VOIP ports so Skype won't work.

Three offer HSDPA access, but the block a trillion ports and everybody has problems with some software when using a phone that is not Three branded. Plus they charge you for POP3 email access seperatly!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tom dunne wrote:

I would have thought the same.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Technical support, I'll let you know, but pretty sure the only way to access the HSDPA is through the Mobile Broadband from O2 and not through a voice plan.

Ravage wrote:
    from what i've heard and from what the customer services say, it's not HSDPA. Also the download limit is 2gb and not 10gb like the Mobile Broadband.

And therein lies your problem. Customer support, with all due respect to them - I do find them quite good, know sweet FA about data. They don't know their 3G from their 3D. The data support team is who you need to be talking to.

They know their stuff and will give you a definitive answer. Tell Ciara I said hello. ;)

Yup as I expected, O2 do not offer a voice + hsdpa access on the same sim.

I can get it €5 cheaper if I get the broadband account with my phone account, but I would have to swap sim cards, lol, kinda defeats the point.

The 2Gb limit at €40 a month is for their 3G service again, this can't be combined with your voice sim. All a little retarded.

I've got another contact at O2 now so I'll blast them a mail just to double check, but it looks like Three is the only crowd to offer this at the moment. (and then you are not "allowed" to use a non three phone and they block the crap out of stuff also.)

Advertisement