Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hdtv pci card - hardware decoding based..

• 01-10-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I don't want to upgrade my pc right now but would still like to experiment with HDTV. Is there a hardware decoding based card out there that would work with a 1.4Ghz Athlon XP machine. If such a card exists, is it supported in terms of software/plugins in the same way as the technotrend S2 card would be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

None yet that I'm aware of. The current models use software decoding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Zaphod wrote:

Oh well, probably will be one or two available in '08.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Zaphod wrote:
    Thanks for the info Zaphod. I was considering putting a laptop into service (1.4 GHz) for some feedhunting / 4:2:2 decoding, but it only has 1.0 USB and no firewire:( Are there any cards available in the PCMCIA form factor which I could use? I could use Linux or XP. The reason I'm using the older laptop is that it has a standard serial interface (DB9) which I can use for my null modem connection to my Manhattan Plaza receiver for firmware updates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I've a vauge memory that either Technotrend or Technisat used to make a PCMCIA version of the Skystar card, but they were as rare as hen's teeth.

This thing looks like the business - DVB-S/T and analogue and ProgDVB lists FlyDVB as being compatible. It would pay you to do a bit of searching how it copes with 4:2:2 although on paper, at least, it should be fine.
    http://www.lifeview.com.tw/html/products/external_tv/flydvb_trio_cardbus.htm

You other option is to get PCMCIA -> USB2 or PCMCIA -> Firewire card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

best option atm is the skystar/technotrend HD (there the same) and an 8500gt graphics card which does h264 decoding. Might do the job for BBC HD, check sites like the dvbviewer forum and you'll probably find out if thats good enough for a pc spec like yours. (with the cards above and a 1.86ghz core2duo, BBC HD uses about 15% cpu on my pc average). Probably too expensive for them to sell hardware decoding cards atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Thanks Zaphod. I'll follow this up.

Well, it looks like there is one on the market here. Not very well supported with software by all accounts. Hope this changes..

@eurorunner

have you seen this card mentioned on any sat forums?

edit:

does that card have an actual tuner?

http://www.reelbox-support.co.uk/showthread.php?t=633

@eurorunner

edit:
    Couldnt get much info on it - thats why i posted here in case anyone had the scoop on it. Picking over the info on the reelbox forum, Its not very clear but I think its not what we're looking for in that it doesnt include an S2 tuner. I *think* its to be used in order to upgrade one of their boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are 3 Reelbox Media systems.
    Yes there is a S2 tuner.

One is for Windows based PC multimedia centre. This card is probably only supported for that. The other systems won't take that card as they are "dedicated" Satellite receivers, not PCs.

There is another HDTV card that is an HDTV decoder! It is an HDMI adaptor for Reelbox Lite. An S2 tuner module is also required. The Reelbox lite will do HDTV without the module or S2 tuner for BBC HD (it is not S2) on an 1920x 1080 VGA monitor or Component input HDTV.

I have a reelbox lite. The UI is poor.

• Advertisement

Just after getting a new pc with a quad core cpu q6600. Using that and dvbviewer latest version and an 8500gt, BBC HD only uses 4/5% cpu! and the program itself is probably using half of that. Great to be able to watch any HD stream finally without any hiccup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

@eurorunner

edit:

no tuner on it
    product_netceiver.jpg

The latest reelbox tuner heads.
    http://www.reel-multimedia.com/rmm-english/netceiver.html

It can connect to existing PC via ethernet cable.

Advertisement