Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiplayer help for Halo noobs

Options
  • 01-10-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Well after a couple of days playing its safe to say I pretty much suck. Played a few games online and I did alright my first go around playing against some 12 year olds but everytime since ive had my ass handed to me. Most embarassing being a crushing defeat to a 14 year old who got to 25 kills before I got to 10.:mad:

I then played a local game against some friends who were experienced Halo 2 players and they pretty much wiped the floor with me too.:o

Can any of you experienced players here give me a few hints and tips as to how to better myself. I know practice is important but are there any tricks or tactics I can employ to save myself from humiliation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The main thing you need to do is play the maps a lot and memorise spots where you have a clear shot but the enemies can't really see you . There are a lot of different places when you can set up a choke point, effectively wiping out the opposition without taking a scratch. On smaller maps, try to avoid using the vehicles as you will probably get tagged with a grenade before you can even jump out of the way. Always be aware of the area you are in and if there are any entry points that enemys could use to catch you by surprise. And always...keep an eye on your radar. People never really look at it until someone has popped them with a shotgun from point blank range.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

One tactic that was working for me the other day (against not so good players) was to keep shooting and running towards them and then hitting them with the butt of my gun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One tactic that was working for me the other day (against not so good players) was to keep shooting and running towards them and then hitting them with the butt of my gun.
    Since they upped the damage for melee attacks, and reintroduced the AR this is my fav form of attack - at least on the smaller maps. It's also one of the most satisfying. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Yeah, nothing like sneaking up and smashing someone before they know you're there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

they always turn around, and i end up hitting them in side...boo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Getting to know the maps and using radar is all I can think of really, presuming that you're not just a bad aim? I had the same problem for a while but am ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

-Never run straight towards someone,always strafe left and right.

-Get good with the BR because its the best overall weapon.

-Always go for the head.

-Avoid throwing grenades in the middle of a firefight because it leaves your opponent free to blast you to bits.

-Always use your motion sensor to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

Increase your sensitivity to 7 or above(10 idealy) and get used to it.

Change your button congfig to boxer. This changes the "throw grenade" trigger to Melee instead which is far easier to use

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i just started playing halo 3 literally since release date. I was getting whiped but then copped on pretty wuick. Its just getting used to maps and getting used to aiming, im more use to fps on the pc.

I'm getting decent now so....see you online :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Thanks will be putting these into practice tonight. Should save me from further humiliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

I'm no genius meself, but keeping an eye on the radar and try not to get into a scrap with a less-than-fully-loaded gun - keep reloading during the quiet spots!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Remember you have different grenades too, you can cycle through them with the left bumper button. Find weapons you're comfortable with, and get to know the maps so you know where those weapons are. Always keep an eye out (and watch the radar) and pretty much always keep moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

'Sticking' someone with the second type of grenade is one of the most satisfying things ive seen in an online game for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Best thing to do is keep moving. Don't stay in the one place unless you're waiting to pounce on a specific enemy you know is coming. This way you may die a little more often, but you will also come to kill a lot more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Ye thats the only tactic I have. It does work, well most of the time. Ive got MVP a good few times with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Just got online last night for the first time.Needless to say i got pwoned alot , im finding the best tactic is to find the active camo orb and base your attacks around that area once your in camo you can get at least two kills every time you use it.Butt of the gun and sticky blue grenades after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol some of the advice here is terrible.

use what sensitivity feels right for you, just because it's nice for someone doesn't mean it's right for you. also same can be said for controls. try all combinations of controls and sensitivity, and stick to what you feel best with.

it took me 3 years to get the right combination for me in cs 1.6.

also if you suck at halo don't move to any other fps because if you're getting owned by halo players you'll get so badly raped by other fps players that you'll die and be exhumed then raped again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭o Diablo o

Cremo wrote:
    lol some of the advice here is terrible.

use what sensitivity feels right for you, just because it's nice for someone doesn't mean it's right for you. also same can be said for controls. try all combinations of controls and sensitivity, and stick to what you feel best with.
    it took me 3 years to get the right combination for me in cs 1.6.

also if you suck at halo don't move to any other fps because if you're getting owned by halo players you'll get so badly raped by other fps players that you'll die and be exhumed then raped again.

Good point I was just about to say that. The only thing id strongly urge people to do is turn vibration off.
    Anyway in regards to multiplayer philosophy, I'll give you some of what I've picked up in lone wolves as I've played that more than teams so far.

Slayer: Its important to stay active and not run around the outskirts looking for power weapons. Try to be involved in every fight without actually being in the middle of it. ie. BR and grenades. Take 5 mins with each map in a customs lobby to learn the weapon spawns/ control points

Watch your radar, Its imperitive that your mentally capable of giving up on a kill and changing targets when need be. Always try to focus on the bigger threat. This is hard to grasp, but dont run about too much. Get to a nice control point. eg. a high point where you can see a lot and just keep looking everywhere.

Dont chase kills while there just shoot everyone you see. Its not a bad idea to move position if you want. but avoid running into battle. You can kill people at mid range theres no need to get stuck in.
    You cant pay as much attention to your surroundings if your in motion

Oddball: One very simple but effective thing is to ignore the ball at the start and just go grab the bubble shield. If you drop the that thing while holding the ball your on your way to an easy win, due to the laughably overpowered melee strength of the ball. Shield doors are also your friend, as well as blind corners etc.

Apart from the one exception of the shield, dont distract yourself from the objective of getting time. Run at the ball when you spawn, killing whoever you can without changing course.

Once you have the ball, get out of the open as fast as possible. Watch your radar and try to move around corners to avoid people as much as possible.
    Use blind corners and doors to melee.

Crazy king: Not much to say on this, its a very simple srategy. Run straight for the hill off spawn, taking a route with a BR on the way. attack everyone you see en route but never lose momentum.
    Once in the hill, stay aggresive. Dont hide in the corner trying to get time.
    There are only four other people in the game. Each one you kill while in the hill means a significant time boost for you before he makes it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

o Diablo o wrote:
    Oddball: One very simple but effective thing is to ignore the ball at the start and just go grab the bubble shield. If you drop the that thing while holding the ball your on your way to an easy win, due to the laughably overpowered melee strength of the ball. Shield doors are also your friend, as well as blind corners etc.

Good tip. Must try that. Ive seen quite a lot of people using their veto for oddball though. Took me a few gos to get the hang of it but I find it pretty good now.

Well as a competitive player, I hate the inclusion of objective gametypes in a free for all playlist and veto everytime but;

1) if your just looking to up your rank its an easy win

2) If you have to play it you may aswell have a srtategy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

The one trick I've noticed is to use the melee attack (punching with gun) quite a lot. If very close to an enemy its more effective to hit them than to shoot them. Also if your sneaking up on someone from behind, hit them rather than open fire on them.

Oh and for team games, stay in a group! If you go running off by yourself you'll die very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dual wield the plasma pistol (the one that can be charged) with an SMG or a magnum. Hit someone with a fully charged plasma shot and you take their shield, then finish them off with your other weapon.

Always pick up a second weapon aswell, even if its crap. It will save your life when your primary weapon needs to be reloaded during a firefight.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 acorkonian

the plasma pistol with smg is possibly the worst thing u can pick up...that was a halo 2 fad not halo 3..if u can pick up battle riffle...best weapon in the game..speaking from years of exp...level 40 in lone wolves at the moment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Few things that help me:

Try always be in proximity to a team-mate. 2 on 1 is always better and you'll get some kills off your team mates and some assists. If you know the person and communicate properly you can get many sprees

Use the radar. The amount of times I've played on levels with an underground section, found a person on my radar and jumped down behind them for a quick kill or assination is unreal.

If you see a firefight always get in there. 90% of the time the enemy will already have taken some shots and this makes your job easier.

Try master jumping and shooting when attacking from distance. This can help avoid damage from nades.

Always change to sticky nades when you have them. Sometimes youll get caught up on a 1 on 2 battle that you're not confident on so you can concentrate on the perfect stick-kill (it's soo satisfying, peticularly if it's a stick-kill from the grave!)

Try perfect the timing of the melee attack. An ill-timed melee is as bad as just running towards an attacker without firing

Reload at every safe opportunity, there is nothing worse than getting caught short at a firefight, you're a sitting duck.

Try get cover when your shield is recovering

I personally have done a few lan sessions with friends who are better than me and this is the single most important thing that has improved my game. Initially its very frustrating but it will make you a better player.

When I get home from work I'll think some more whilst playing and see what more I can come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Reload at every safe opportunity, there is nothing worse than getting caught short at a firefight, you're a sitting duck.

Try get cover when your shield is recovering

ORLY?! Thanks for your pearls of wisdom, ill remember to have my gun reloaded and take cover if im hit next time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if you crouch when you move, you don't appear on radar.

You'd be surprised how predictable some people are as well, ie if you are getting shot from behind and run into a room, the guy shooting will normally just run in after you. So run into the room, stop, and let him run in front of you, then BAM!

very satisfying. I was getting creamed every game (as Robinph can vouch for) but I spent a good while with a mate playing all the maps on custom. e.g. on guardian, one of us would practice holding the lift area, the other practices taking it. Very useful in real games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

acorkonian wrote: »
    the plasma pistol with smg is possibly the worst thing u can pick up...that was a halo 2 fad not halo 3..if u can pick up battle riffle...best weapon in the game..speaking from years of exp...level 40 in lone wolves at the moment:)

Oh dear god fix your sig:mad:

Anyhow,listen to o Diablo o,he gave me some great tips for halo 2 a while ago,and they improved me quite a bit.

No they didnt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

hotnipples wrote: »
    ORLY?! Thanks for your pearls of wisdom, ill remember to have my gun reloaded and take cover if im hit next time :p

Productive me thinks.. How can you possibly manage the two thumb-sticks with your single brain cell?

Advertisement