Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #8 - Alice In Chains - Dirt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Stunning.....simply stunning. There isn't a bad track on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Superb album - 'Rooster' still sends a shiver down the spine when I hear it now. For me they were the best American band of their generation (I don't like the 'G' word) by quite a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

"Into the flood again, same old trip it was back then, so I made a big mistake, try to see it once my way."

Those lyrics pretty much sum up what listening to that album is to me, on so many levels. Just fantastic, infinitely listenable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Always liked that song 'would'. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

"Aint found a way to kill me yet
    Eyes burn with stinging sweat
    Seems every path leads me to nowhere"

Sums up Layne too.
    Feckin great band and had the priviledge to see them 3 times live.

Does anyone remember when they played the SFX and some eejit took a swig out of Laynes JD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I've been banging on about Alice in Chains a lot lately, but with good reason. Quite simply one of my favourite bands of all time. Dirt is a cracking album, from start to finish. Lyrically, musically, vocally.

A band completely on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Dirt is pure genius, it wasa very dark period for Alice In Chains, supposedly they were all ****ed up, but to hear the Drum Beat to Angry Chair then the layne playing his riff, class, not one bad song on the album you don't get that too often, its a classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Classic album.
    I was a big fan of facelift so was a bit nervous buying this but have to say its
    one of my most played albums. Every song a belter especially would, angry chair and sickman.
    RIP Layne....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

what a belter of an album, this is really the sort of thing that album of the week is all about, this is one of the best albums in my collection in my opinion!!
    real proper rock music, and the vocals and lyrics are exceptional almost spine chilling....when you hear how well many of them songs sound in the unplugged version you really understand what a great band and what great songs these were. Alice in Chains, a true stand-out band, how i miss them (in they're original form)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JC 2K3 wrote:
    "Into the flood again, same old trip it was back then, so I made a big mistake, try to see it once my way."

Those lyrics pretty much sum up what listening to that album is to me, on so many levels. Just fantastic, infinitely listenable.

+1 from me for this, word for word.

Everything that I could say here has been pretty much said already. I only wish I actually got to see them with Layne, but still, last year they were good. Damn F'in Good! To me, they sum up what every great band should be like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

Dirt is in my top 5 albums ,, I saw they back in 91 i think it was , they played support to Megadeath , I didnt know who they were but i was blown away by the sound they were making, class gig I will never forget it. It was Just before Dirt was relesed .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I absolutely LOVE this album. Would is my favourite song followed by Them Bones. What a great band...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Brilliant brilliant album, I don't know what it was about Layne's vocals but it just sounds superb.
    It's probably one of the most played albums I've ever had, would find it difficult to pick a favourite track, but the guitar solo on 'Them Bones' is just outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Actually, another line to sum up so much about me is "I have been guilty of kicking myself in the teeth". Think theres something in eveery song of the album, listened to it 3 times yesterday. Unbelievable work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

DIRT would definitely make it into my top ten albums easy;

fav song at the moment has to be "Dam that River" anyone that disagres well "i don't gave a dam anyway":D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

A masterpiece of an album by one great band. Definitely in my top ten. It's an album you just never tire of listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Rooster is about the experiences of stayley's father in vietnam, gives it a different slant when you listen to it knowing this. They had a really original sound, a sound that probably wouldn't be too distinctive nowadays but at the time they sounded like nobody else. They weren't the best off all the grunge bands, but this album is one of the best grunge albums you'll ever hear. Their unplugged session i think is the best one that was ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Actually, it was Cantrell's dad, but no matter....still one of the greatest songs ever. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Rustar wrote:
    Actually, it was Cantrell's dad, but no matter....still one of the greatest songs ever. :)

Sh1t, sorry bout that - one other thing, they had an economic/efficient sound (except for the solos), nothing was used unless necessary, its a lot harder than it sounds and they were very good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

criminally under-rated band and album :(

fantastic piece of work and one of my favourite albums of the 1990s in any genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Brilliant band and album. I cant believe I had never heard their stuff until the last year or so. I bought this album after hearing would on youtube and loved it. a Id heard all the other big bands from the Seattle grunge scene - Pearl jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden. I love them all even though they sound completely different. AIC would almost be metal and not grunge. They are definitely underrated. Layne Staley is one of the most amazing singers ive ever heard. And Jerry cantrell, what a guitarist! Dirt is definitely their masterpiece. I cant wait until they tour again even if its without Staley.

Advertisement