Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cappagh Rd area

Options
  • 01-10-2007 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Might be moving to Cappagh Rd (near Salthill/Barna?) soon what is the area like?

Thanks,

Jimmii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

It's between Salthill & Barna.
    It's a big feck-off housing estate.
    It's handy enough for getting into town.
    It's....err..nondescript. Nothing particularly good or bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

How long would it take do drive/walk into town? Is there a bus service or anything nearby? Thanks for the info!

Jimmii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

great bus service, regular and long hours. Walking? About 40 minutes. Drive time depends on traffic greatly; you will get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Jiimii,

I envy you. I lived on the cappagh road for 2 years (left it summer last year) and I can't fault it. I lived in an apartment facing the road. It's not one big huge housing estate. It's a "road" with private dwellings, estates etc. There's a lovely chinese too called cappagh chinese there and a handy corner shop also. There are numerous bus stops in the vicinity with frequent buses to the city centre also!!

If you have kids or are sporty or like walking (or have a dog) there's a fantastic huge amenity park at the top of the road with a great and very safe playground and playing pitches and a nice path for walking

If you need to you can take a short-cut through the housing estate behind the shop and onto the Ballimoneen road (sp?) and over to Joyces Supermarket or the chemist/dry cleaner/video rental shop over there!!!

Hope to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We've been here about 10 days its a great area to live in! Handy for getting into town and far enough away to be country still. We live about 500m from the shop & chinese. On Saturday night there were loads of kids loitering around the street is there ever any problem with them? I noticed the window in the Chinese is smashed up a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

About those little hooligans, I have a little story for you and I'm not trying to scare you out of the Cappagh Road area as I may have just been ulucky:-

I lived, as I said, in an apartment actually facing the main road (Cimin Mor area) and those kids were always up and down past. Made me pretty nervous as they used to hang about outside my place on the wall etc and I was alone with my daughter (a single mammy) in the apartment. One night, with baby in bed (I'd say she was around 1 year old then) I was in my bedroom doing some tidying - ALL the lights in my place were on! I heard a sudden and almighty loud smash outside. I thought it was the neighbours upstairs initially, then I thought it might have been a crash as I saw lights of a car on the road but when I looked out the window there was load of those young lads (and lassies) outside on the footpath. My heart was racing! I didn't know what they were up to.

After I'd paced over and back in my living room peeking out every couple of seconds they eventually headed down the road shouting and hollering to themselves and passed the corner where the shop is ( i reckon they were out of it on drink or drugs or both). I went outside to make sure they were "really" gone. As I came back in I noticed my next door neighbours door had been kicked in! That was the smash I heard. Little f*ckers. I rang the gardai and fair play to them, they were there in about 2 minutes flat and they checked the place out - nothing had been stolen or even damaged inside. They had merely kicked the door in and that was that! But still, it's the fear of it. I can't believe they had the cheek, the young lads, every light in my apartment and the apartments upstairs were on - it was only about 11pm at night. They were being vandals I suppose, showing off to their friends. New form of "knick knocking" Just kick the door in!

A while later (few months maybe) I heard the alarm go off in the apartment next door. My friend was in my apartment with me this time. I was going to ring the gardai again and she told me not to. The reason being the folowing:-

The time I heard the young lads kick the door in (and mistakingly thought it was a crash etc, but rang the guards etc and brought them into my apartment to tell them exactly what I'd seen, rang my Landlord to get Landlady next doors number etc etc) I basically lived in fear for weeks and weeks after. I used to be shaking coming home to that place and would constantly be peering out through my blinds, just a nervous wreck for a while I suppose.....anyways.......

The Landlady of the place next door seemed to have a general dislike of "single mothers" or possibly just of me, presumed I was a dodgy creature because the father of my child was never around I suppose (totally untrue, I'm an upstanding member of society, a hard-working and honest girl who yes, has made some mistakes, bad judgements of character etc over the years, but genuinely nice decen girl...and this Lady certainly knew nothing about me!? I do not condone crime of any nature) and tried to blame me for the break-in her apartment! She had the gall to call to my door the day after and almost shout at me, asking me "what happened HERE!?!?!?" over and over and over again until I was on the brink of tears. I thought she'd called over to give me a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or a least a *thank you* for calling the gardai and tracking her down to let her know what had happened etc as her tennant had not been home that night. She tried to accuse ME of knowing something about the break-in which had scared the living daylights out of me!!! Did she think I was trying to break into my neighbours house to steal some teabags or something?! (my neighbour was actually a girl, living alone also and was a friendly and seemingly decent girl also who I got on pretty well with, you know, the friendly hello and chit-chat every now and again, but she hadn't been living there long!) Maybe the Landlady thought I was an easy target to vent her anger about her little apartment being broken into, but I was the one who had to live next door, wondering when they'd come back to do my place. I was the one living in fear after it happened. And to this day, I don't REALLY know why they picked her house, possibly they knew what kind of a lady she was?!? Who knows...my Landlord had previously lived in the apartment I was in and was a lovely chap!!!

So, When I heard the alarm going off next door a few months later, I stayed putt at the advice ofmy friend who was, thankfully, there with me. My initial reaction was to jump up and head for the door to check the place out and make sure there wasn't a break in. My friend stopped me, however, saying, "if the gardai come and you are out looking in the windows they'll blame you again" and she was right. And you know what? This time there WAS a break in. This time, as I recall, although I'm not too sure now, there was stuff stolen, this time they didn't had a neighbour who cared enough to ring the gardai. I think the window out the back was taken out and the movement of the burglars inside set off the alarm.Something along those lines anyways If that Landlady had been as decent to me as I was to her the first time around and been, basically, human about the horrible incident I had to go through, there's a possibility that me and my friend could have scared off those burglars or at least realised what was going on and alerted the gardai when they first entered the apartment. But, in case of being blamed again by that complete and utter bitch (there's no other word I can describe her with!), I listened to the alarm and kept on watching the TV and kept my nose out!

I was tempted to get out of that aparment after all of that! But I stayed, and I'm glad I did. Those little scoundrels, and an upper-class b*tch (with notions of herself and an extremely narrowminded view of the world and it's people) of a Landlady next door weren't going to move my happy little family unit out of the home we loved and enjoyed so much!

But, even with all that, I still envy you living on the Cappagh Road. I'd move back there tomorrow. As you said, it's far enough out to be almost rural (just down the end of the road and swing a right and head off out towards Spidal for a nice spin on a nice day, I used to love that! Or that other beach is close by - is it Silver Strand, nice for a walk) Yet, it's only about 10 minutes into town if you're driving :)

WOW!!! I really did go off on a rant! Absolutely of no interest to anybody reading so I apologise. but I'm glad to get it all off my chest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karlolex

lived on the cappagh rd for over 4 years, never had any problems with the area, there are plenty of families living in the area so its great if you have kids,
    my son loved going to cappagh pitches, playground etc.
    little red bus runs every 30 min (thru salthill or town!!)
    such a handy little service.
    theres now a bus service to barna too (dont know exact times locations of this as it just came into service when i moved)
    i never had problems wit the teens in the area, but i did see them around. there just bored which is understandable, young children are catered for in this area but there isnt as much (as far as i know) for the older child/ teenager.
    anyway, i would definitely give it two thumbs up and wouldnt turn anyone away from the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The little sh1ts that hang around the place are from the council houses up by the school.A few are from well known families in Galway so i wouldn't bother complaining to their parents:D

I disagree with Karlolex when she says "there just bored which is understandable, young children are catered for in this area but there isnt as much (as far as i know) for the older child/ teenager."
    Its an age old excuse for sh1te hawking,there are plenty of pitches to play on,sports clubs to join,woodland and beaches to wander on,a bus service that will take them out of the area, a feckin windsurfing school across the road.There is an awful lot more now there than when i was a teen in the area.

Advertisement