Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Meetings

Options
  • 01-10-2007 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

What's everyones take on which day these should be? The decision is being made next Monday. For all attending, what day would suit you best?

I'm trying to gauge what way this one will go. Personally I'm not in a college on a monday, and it's a long-ass commute to go up just for an hour in the evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

karmabass wrote:
    What's everyones take on which day these should be? The decision is being made next Monday. For all attending, what day would suit you best?

I'm trying to gauge what way this one will go. Personally I'm not in a college on a monday, and it's a long-ass commute to go up just for an hour in the evening.
    Monday or Tuesday. I don't want it to be on a Wednesday... everything else in campus is on on a Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

gubbie wrote:
    Monday or Tuesday. I don't want it to be on a Wednesday... everything else in campus is on on a Wednesday

well having them on Monday last year was a disaster.
    I'm praying for Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Doesn't having it earlier in the week lessen the chance of it clashing with other events?

And in fairness, as riveting as council generally is, I think a lot of people would choose to go to their training/club night/debate/film/party/night out etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It HAS to be Monday. because....

nearly no events happen on Monday
    everything cool happens on tuesday, wednesday and thursday
    all the culchie's go back home on Friday

I'm not missing Will Farrell for council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Though it doesn't suit me Monday is the best option. The only day that clashes less with society nights is Friday + good luck getting people to go then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fluther

I whole heartly agree..it has to be monday..it suits everyone best...a lot of union people hav other involvements and having council on monday means that their other interests won't be clashing!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm not missing Will Farrell for council.
    Oh to be young and principled again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Yeah I guess Monday is the best option alright, practically speaking.. That's me out though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Mondays are good and bad for me - good in that nothing else should clash expect when i'm working. Bad in that that's the night we as a class always go out as we start at 11 the next day.

Last year bank holiday mondays caused a huge problem because council got reschedualed in a completely ad hoc manner.
    Having anything set for a monday is always a terrible idea because of bank holidays.
    If you're doing something mid week then that's your problem, if the university is closed then that's council's problem.

Last year council was on Monday and my memory of the second sememster is one of endless reschedualling and low attendance. The year before it was to the best of my recolection a Wednesday (could have been a Thursday though, i'm open to correction on that it was much better.

Work is one thing, but if you're not willing to miss social events once a fortnight for council (which doesn't go on that long lads and would be over quicker if everyone would show up on time so we didn't spend the first haolf hour messing) then you should be questioning your own interest in representing your class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Work is one thing, but if you're not willing to miss social events once a fortnight for council (which doesn't go on that long lads and would be over quicker if everyone would show up on time so we didn't spend the first haolf hour messing) then you should be questioning your own interest in representing your class.
    QFT.

Why may I ask have we never had 2 days for council? ie that one week the council would be on say Monday and the following council would be on the Tuesday. Some people may never ever be able to go on the Monday so that means that the class that they represent would never really have a go at it.

We did it last year on exec, and I think that it worked so much in that it gave some people who had other busy evenings the chance to go at least a few times. Their voices are as important as any other

Ya it means more organisation but come on its not that much
    QFT.
    No it isn't! Its ludicrous. Some events take place on a Wednesday and only on a Wednesday. Take for example the Irish Language officer last year-he had the Choral Scholars every Monday and Wednesday. Eh thats not exactly something he can skip for council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

How about Sunday Morning at 9:00am

If you're a dedicated class rep, you should be willing to give up going out on a saturday night for your union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

gubbie wrote:
    Why may I ask have we never had 2 days for council? ie that one week the council would be on say Monday and the following council would be on the Tuesday.

That makes mucho sense. I think alternating between Monday and Wedensady would be a good solution.

Have the class rep elections been on yet...if so what are the results....am so out of the loop here in the mater....

panda100 wrote:
    That makes mucho sense. I think alternating between Monday and Wedensady would be a good solution.

Have the class rep elections been on yet...if so what are the results....am so out of the loop here in the mater....

Finished today, count tomorrow. And that's no excuse, I was there for 6 weeks + remained within the loop at all times!

dajaffa wrote:
    Finished today, count tomorrow. And that's no excuse, I was there for 6 weeks + remained within the loop at all times!
    You live beside campus. Nuff said. And I haven't seen you in like a week and you won't reply to my e-mails!!

dajaffa wrote:

Yes well I have gone out of my way to avoid things all union I must admit :) Ah I thought the voting was on Monday.Keep us posted of who wins what etc anyways

Hmm... the results say that I got 6 votes and Darren got 5 but that he was elected and I was eliminated...
    I really don't want to ring Morgan annoying him again.

But that was the best thing about being a programme officer...
    Ring Ciara instead.

I got mine. Boo hiss campaigning

Do! its his job,he gets paid for it.Paid far too much for doing very little imho. Bets of luck

• Advertisement

Hmm... the results say that I got 6 votes and Darren got 5 but that he was elected and I was eliminated...

The number was just 1st prefs, so I'm presuming Darren got in on Mary's surplus :(

dajaffa wrote:
    The number was just 1st prefs, so I'm presuming Darren got in on Mary's surplus :(

This first prefrence/second prefrence thing is just stupid.Kate got more first votes then 'Mario' she should have won.
    Well done to Mary though for being the Willie O'Dea of the union elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The 1st year psych count is odd. 2 candidates getting 7 votes each but one was elected and the other wasnt:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

The 1st year psych count is odd. 2 candidates getting 7 votes each but one was elected and the other wasnt:confused:

I think if there is no way of dividing candidates (ie after all preferences and transfers they are exactly even) then they are, as unfortunate as it is, basically drawn out of a hat.

panda100 wrote:
    This first prefrence/second prefrence thing is just stupid.Kate got more first votes then 'Mario' she should have won.

Well that's democracy, I've always thought the single transferable vote far superior to first past the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

panda100 wrote:

I am lolling my head off at this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

panda100 wrote:

Sorry gorgeous, that the way it has to be. PRSTV may not seem right, but its the system, and is far more representative. If it had been first past the post system in 1990 we would not have had our first female president.

Advertisement