Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows xp gone belly up!

• 01-10-2007 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was wondering if I could do a diy job or if it will need to be brought to a repair-man?!
    When my computer was loading up yesterday, I just got a black screen before windows started to load up, saying;
    "could not load file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I've loaded up a friends copy of xp to get it up and running and was hoping to transfer the necessary files from his to mine - I have the 2 different versions installed in different locations.

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget you need an XP license to use your friends copy.

Looks like the registry is toast or the software hive is too large to load.
    You could try to restore an earlier version if you have it.

A repair install may not work if indeed is a size problem.

F8 into save mode and system restore but I don't think it will let you in.

look up technet
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

can the same copy of xp be used on 2 computers?!
    I can get a copy of vista off a friend if so, just use that instead..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NO - read the license agreement that came with windows and the charter.

You need ONE LICENSE per computer.

If windows came preinstalled (OEM) you can't move it to another computer, you can't even use that license if you upgrade the motherboard !

OEM is cheaper because of the restrictions.
    If you upgrade a copy windows you kill the license for the old version.

If you upgrade a copy of preinstalled (OEM) windows with a retail copy, and your motherboard dies, then you loose the new license too.

Windows licensing sucks. But it's a legal requirement.

If you want to get software free, then get free software.

As a suggestion try an ubuntu or Knoppix live CD, if you like the knoppix interface better then install ubuntu otherwise install kubuntu. From the knoppix CD you will find out lots of apps to install on ubuntu. While it is possible to install knoppix on a HDD any attempt to patch or upgrade it trash it in interesting ways.

Another suggestion is to get the FREE 6 month trial version of windows 2003 server, apart from not having the fisher price interface, it's a few tweaks and downloads away from XP

Advertisement