Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO - What to Do

Options
  • 01-10-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Does anybody have a list of technique that one could use to optimize their site. All the search engines are a bit vague regarding SEO.

Obviously good design and clear content, but what else.

One cant load their website with keywords, so what is one left to do?

Also the credible page links confuses me.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Here's a good book to get you going!

http://whitehatcrew.com/downloads/SEO-Made-Easy.pdf

It's a can of worms though!

<EDIT>

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Not Found
    The requested URL /seo_madeeasy.pdf was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The url was not found

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

If you type something like SEO into Google you'll probably get lots of sites with lists of things to do. It can be a bit difficult at first to see which ones are giving sound advice. If you take the time to study up a good few of the sites and see what things they all have in common you'll probably be heading in the right direction.

Or you could start by having a look at my blog on http://seocormac.blogspot.com/. :)

I would recommend not being too aggressive in your approach at the beginning - you don't want to get penalised by the search engines because you're not 100% sure what you're actually doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

• Make the title on each page informative and with 2 phrases. Have site name at the end.
    • Forget about meta keywords, the title and page content are much more important
    • link to the site in your boards signature
    • get other sites to link to you (this is most important)
    • set up a blog waffling about your site
    • write in a style for humans and not for bots
    • use breadcrumbs on your site
    • create a sitemap
    • bold important phrases/words on page (dont overdo it)
    • use h1/h2/h3 tags for headings
    • keep all css/js external
    • have a mini sitemap at the bottom of each page
    • dont have duplicate content.
    • use 301 redirect for site.com and redirect to www.site.com (prevents duplicate content)
    • use hyphens not underscores in filenames.
    • use plural keywords as well as singular versions

Hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 janiforadword

grahamor wrote: »
    • Make the title on each page informative and with 2 phrases. Have site name at the end.
    • Forget about meta keywords, the title and page content are much more important
    • link to the site in your boards signature
    • get other sites to link to you (this is most important)
    • set up a blog waffling about your site
    • write in a style for humans and not for bots
    • use breadcrumbs on your site
    • create a sitemap
    • bold important phrases/words on page (dont overdo it)
    • use h1/h2/h3 tags for headings
    • keep all css/js external
    • have a mini sitemap at the bottom of each page
    • dont have duplicate content.
    • use 301 redirect for site.com and redirect to www.site.com (prevents duplicate content)
    • use hyphens not underscores in filenames.
    • use plural keywords as well as singular versions

Hope it helps.

I am totally agree with the commenter above me. Good Keywords research also matters. Select high search volume and low compilation keywords then write contents using those keywords. You can select these keywords through Google Adwords keywords suggestion tool.

Hope it also helps in you website's organic traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

grahamor wrote: »

Hope it helps.

Meta keywords are not so important for search engine bots but it is important for people who find your site in those search engines.So i recommend you to create dynamic meta tags for each page.Also dont forget to rewrite your urls, so they will be search engine friendly.Due to some tests in the last few months i saw that a url like http://mysite.com/mycategory.myarticle.com is better ranked than http://mysite.com/mycategory-myarticle.com .So i recommend you to use . instead of - .Also guys above me forgot about the most important and the newest seo 2.0 tool introduced which is social bookmarking including the top sites Twitter and Facebook.Get one way backlinks to your site using the correct anchor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shassy

you should care to don't get most your links from the same source like social bookmarkes or forums or like that to don't be spam so try to don't exceed 30% from the same source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

shassy wrote: »
    you should care to don't get most your links from the same source like social bookmarkes or forums or like that to don't be spam so try to don't exceed 30% from the same source
    You`re wrong.You can bookmark your sites every single day.But not too much.As for example, i bookmark my sites to over 90 bookmarking sites + 60 scuttle sites 2 times/day....and everything is ok.

Due to some tests in the last few months i saw that a url like http://mysite.com/mycategory.myarticle.com is better ranked than http://mysite.com/mycategory-myarticle.com.

Look that's just not the way it always rolls. There's numerous other factors such as domain age, incoming links, content content content

The fact it worked for you on that one instance doesn't necessarily mean everyone should adopt that approach. Lay off the definitive answers like it's a religion everyone should follow, it's simply not true and it depends. I've also seen sites with complicated long url's with plenty of parameters outrank simple sites with short url's - doesn't mean it's always the case though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement