Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic questions (european TV subtitled)

• 01-10-2007 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

OK I know nothing about this subject but
    1 of two things
    Is there any TV cable satellite digital service that has subtitled German ad other European channels
    I dont want 400 of things just a few would do me

If not (and I realise thats a big ask) what is the best way to get European TV in Ireland
    What is the best freeview service for such

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Are you looking for German programs with original German soundtrack subtitled in German, or are you looking for Germans programs subtitled in English?
    If the latter then very few of the general European FTA channels are meant for an English speaking audience.
    Are you thinking of something like the subtitling that accompanies many Sky programs that you can switch on (if the kids are being particularly noisy:eek: ) I think this is specific to the digibox and dont think available on FTA boxes.
    (Aside I presume this uses voice recognition s/w but the results are often hilarious)
    Some channels may have teletext subtitling, cant say Ive tried it, I think its more aimed at the hard of hearing.
    Some channels may have dual soundtracks, original and dubbed.
    What you are more likely to find on European channels is say an English language program dubbed or subtitled in the European lingo. eg the Business channel on Turksat often has American series subtitled in Turkish.
    Maybe if you gave an idea of what type of programs and what languages you need as I am not sure if your question relates to a requirement for translation or subtitling to aid a hearing impairment.

There are general German channels on many sats but Astra1 19e probably has the most, For Italian look to Hotbird 10e. There are smaller numbers of French and Spanish and various other languages on both these sats too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

hi
    yea I was looking for a server that had german TV subtitled in English but I realise that’s a big ask

However if that is impossible whats the best way of getting german (and other european) channels without a satellite dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Well the only reason to subtitle it in English would be to cater for an English speaking audience and few if any Germans channels are aimed at that audience. Perhaps Premiere the German pay Tv equivalent to Sky may do something but I suspect if they did any subtitling it would be in German.
    The only media I can think of that might have English subtitles on German programs might me occasional German film subtitled on Sky, or DVD film imports in your video shop (usually have multi language audio channels). The number of mainstream European language films that arrive here is still quite small. Most are US or UK imports. There may be some internet sites streaming FTA German channels but I doubt any have English subtitling. Unlike other nationalities that serve their expats with homegrown programs sometimes subtitled in English for 2nd generation viewers eg Pakistani, Chinese, Indian etc, I cant think of àny equivalent German channels here. Perhaps we are not far away enough, maybe on other continents.
    German channels are plentiful and easy to get on Astra1 19e

Advertisement