Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vrt on TOYOTA FJ Cruiser (New)

• 01-10-2007 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi All, was just on holiday in the States and decided to price this up, is it just me or is this not actually bad value for what your getting?

$26000= €18571
    Shipping €1,500
    Total €20,071

Duty 10% 22078
    VAT 21% 26714
    Port cost 600
    VRT 17100 ( They said irish equiv was 57,000 rrp)
    TOTAL 43,814

If you were cheeky and made it into a van, the vrt would only be 7K....granted you would have 4lt petrol..

Is it good value??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if you made it into a van would the VRT not be €50?

43k doesn't sound too bad, but it is LHD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Don't they sell them in Oz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I saw these myself in the states, one look at that front and the memories of my brother's old 80s land cruiser came flooding back :)
    http://www.restoredfj40.com/2nd_header_images/images/middle2.jpg

I couldn't believe how cheap these are in the States and if your sums are correct, that's not a bad deal for one in Ireland. IMO a very cool looking machine indeed. Making into a van (commercial?) would avoid a big chunk of annual motor tax too.

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't know whether it's RHD they sell in Australlia and middle east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think they sold them in Japan too but not 100% on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I think they are only designed for the US market at present. I never saw one in Japan but maybe you are thinking of the Landcruiser 70/75 Prado from I984 that was still built up to about 2006 and possibly today in Asian markets.
    001.jpg
    The only other one I can think of is the Mega Cruiser from around 2000. Its the same size as a Humvee.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Don't they sell them in Oz?
    no the FJ cruiser is not sold in australia. North America, apparently the middle east. but not it seems in Japan i was there in February and didnt see one on the streets.

oh yeah there is a company in the netherlands or belgium importing them also ive seen a few crop up on UK importer websites though a bit more pricey than inporting from US yourself.

they have VVTI engines the same as some other tojos including hte RAV4. I have asked on US forums for some to send photos of the bulkhead to see if there are blanks there for converting into RHD. noone has though. In a recent trip tot Hawaii i tired hiring one but ending getting a 4door jeep wrangler which i got stuck 3km from the airport when i discovered the 4WD didnt work heap of dung. The Fj cruiser though is a straight out of the box offroading machine with little need to modify. (That friggn jeep wrangler didnt even have tow eyes or reovery points.)

from memory the european importers were considering plunking diesel enegines into their FJ crusiers. The FJ is based on the Prado (also known in Ireland as simply landcrusier, someone correct if im wrong here) whih has diesel engines in its range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Tonka wrote: »
    The FJ is based on the Prado (also known in Ireland as simply landcrusier, someone correct if im wrong here) whih has diesel engines in its range.

It's apparently built on the same platform as the Land Cruiser Prado/Hilux. And yes, the most common Land Cruiser sold over here is really the Prado (currently 120 series), though they also sell the larger one (200 series now) here as the "Land Cruiser V8" - prices starting from €126,440! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

There is no offical RHD versions of the FJ. No plans to change it either:(
    A commerical version would be a little under €27000. But with our rising petrol prices, it might prove expensive to run

• Advertisement

incidentally peeps , im looking to buy a 40 series landcrusier ie one that is pre 1985. Any information about any in ireland would be appreciated. even ones sitting in hedgerows. the FJ is based on the 40 series.
    like this one......
    250px-Toyota_Land_Cruiser_yellow_vl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Lads, I seen these on sale in the local Toyota dealers in Munich. Nice looking 4X4 , reminds me of a Tonka truck I had when I was a kid :D

Would it not be cheaper to buy in Germany and import to Ireland ??

KTRIC wrote: »
    Lads, I seen these on sale in the local Toyota dealers in Munich. Nice looking 4X4 , reminds me of a Tonka truck I had when I was a kid :D

Would it not be cheaper to buy in Germany and import to Ireland ??

the fjcruiser??? or the 40 series?? Is it a toyota main dealer?? LMS%20SPA%20Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tonka wrote: »
    the fjcruiser??? or the 40 series?? Is it a toyota main dealer?? LMS%20SPA%20Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser.jpg

The FJ Cruiser, thats what this thread is about , isn't it ??

KTRIC wrote: »
    The FJ Cruiser, thats what this thread is about , isn't it ??

ay okay. sorry i threw a spanner in the thread there. :rolleyes:

anywhose about the fjcruiser dealer in Munich is it a toyota franchise?
    would you know the name or address by chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

No duty or vat then if importing from Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

These are one of the worst looking cars in the states. Thank God/Buddha/Allah they don't sell them here.

But if you HAVE to don't go for the sky blue as that's even worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marc smith

Hi. I live in Drogheda and I'm just about to register my brand new 2008 FJ cruiser in the north as I think the VRT is prohibitive in Ireland. Mine has 900 miles and has been sitting unregistered for the past 18 months. I have to give it to an auto electrician to do some minor alterations in order to comply with the MOT. It will then be registered in the north and put up for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

marc smith wrote: »
    Hi. I live in Drogheda and I'm just about to register my brand new 2008 FJ cruiser in the north as I think the VRT is prohibitive in Ireland. Mine has 900 miles and has been sitting unregistered for the past 18 months. I have to give it to an auto electrician to do some minor alterations in order to comply with the MOT. It will then be registered in the north and put up for sale.
    Please read the charter and don't bump old threads - start a new one instead. Oh, and welcome to Motors.:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement