Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accessing emails remotely on exchange server

Options
  • 01-10-2007 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi

In my office i use microsoft exchange for emails. but i want to access them from a different office. i was hoping to do this without a third party email account. Is there a way i can access them directly??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Can you confirm what version of Exchange you use?

You can setup Outlook Web Access its very easy, do a google search for "OWA"

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You'll need a fixed IP for the exchange server, but OWA would be the best way to go (short of outsourcing the entire mail solution)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blue_man83

so how do i do all of this?

Ok what version of Exchange are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hmm thats not the OP ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 blue_man83

well its microsoft small business server 2003...any use?

I suggest you look here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

2003 will install OWA by default. The problem doesn't really end there though, especially from a security point of view. If you manage to get OWA up you are then faced with opening it up for access to the outside world. This really isn't the best idea in this instance and would usually involve front end Exchange servers, placed in a secure part of your network, to handle requests from the internet, our in you case the other office.

Is it just this office you want access from? You could do many thing to make this happen. You could setup a VPN connection and tunnel Outlook over that, or you could simply create an access rule allowing traffic from the remote office to the central office.

Firstly, we need to know if this is just from one location.

You could even consider ISA server for reverse proxy too.

If your requirement is just for one mailbox then just add a forward entrie in AD to forward all new mails to a public mail account.

If you do go ahead with OWA then just apply a SSL cert and open port 443 to your exchange server, this is secure enough without setting up DMZ+Front end exchange etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 riff_man79

just in the other office. VPN will eventually be implemented but not for a few weeks and i need my emails. is it possible to set it up using POP? or is there a way to get them without using a public account.

• Advertisement

You could use OWA as mentioned, also depending on your Firewall you could setup a software VPN client, Sonicwall / Cisco / Netgear do them.

You could also allow RDP to a spare desktop or server so you could check your mails that way.

There are tons of options its all down to how much work your willing to put in.

Advertisement