Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONNECTING 2 PC`s TOGETHER

Options
  • 01-10-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hello people, i want to connect my two pc`s together via wireless, i want to make the pc the server but is not wireless i have the eircom modem wireless and the laptop is wireless, plus the pc have a intergrated modem. it`s easy with the crossover cable but could the same be done wireless?
    thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You can use a WiFi usb dongle or WiFi pci card for the pc and configure it to connect via your wireless modem/router.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

make sure you have encryption on the wifi link
    research up about firewalls
    look up ftp things like filezilla and fillezilla server

then and only then do you think about sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

thanks for the replys. i meant just connect the 2 pc`s together i wont be sharing with anyone else. could i use the eircom modem just for that? plug it to the pci modem inside the pc, insted of the wall?

ldr wrote:
    thanks for the replys. i meant just connect the 2 pc`s together i wont be sharing with anyone else. could i use the eircom modem just for that? plug it to the pci modem inside the pc, insted of the wall?

err, not making much sence here.... When you say 'eircom modem' do you mean an older dail-up (56k) modem or an ADSL modem? If you have adsl then does your 'modem' have a number of ports at the back? If it does then connect one of these ports to a network connection on your pc (not the modem connector) and away you go.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

yeah, i was writting it and i couldn`t make much sence out of it either :D

what i want: connect the laptop to the pc via wirless, the same way you would connect it with the crossover cable

what i have: the laptop is wireless, the netopia wireless eircom modem, and a dial up modem in one of the pci slots on the pc

thanks

• Advertisement

Ok, from what I understand, you have a wireless laptop and you want to connect wirelessly to the Netopia AND you have a pc with just a modem pci card, right?

Laptop: go to the Eircom support site and find out how to connect this to the Netopia, all the information you need is there.

PC: you need to install a pci network card and connect this to the Netopia OR get a wireless pci card OR a wireless dongle to connect wirelessly to the Netopia.

Am i getting any closer???

Advertisement