Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mute Cat

Options
  • 01-10-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever come across a mute cat?

A wild kitten that we took in thats a few months old never
    developed a me-oww! we call it Zelda cos it reminds me of the
    computer game character but its nick name is shane mcgowan.

It is perfectly healthy and has developed into a lovable softy of a cat!
    but its never been able to talk to us. All we ever hear is a kinda silent
    me-ow or the sound Shane Mcgowan makes when he laughs as if its trying to make a noise but just nothing vocal comes out
    of its mouth!!! we have joked that the porr critter would not want to get
    stuck in a shed anyplace as it would be like Helan Keller stuck down a well
    trying to scream her hands off.

wondering if this is unusual or not.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

We had a kitten that done the same, opened his mouth trying to meow and noting came out. He is very affectionate and loves to be around us. I am not sure if his vocals developed slowly or what (he died a little while after for something unrelated).
    Maybe get it checked out by a professional just to be curious, I would say it is unusual as I've fostered many kittens over the past year, had many over my lifetime and only came across the one who had problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

We have a cat that does not meow or even try to make any sound at all. We got him as a kitten and the kids at the house where we bought him obviously choose him as he does not interact very well with humans or even the other cats and likes to keep himself to himself.

He can be gone for days but we have him for so long now he is part of the scenery.

The other cat will meow but only for food - again is not good at being a softie.

Our newest cat is however a very interactive little devil and a welcome reminder of how warm and funny some cats can be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

We feed 12 at the moment and have looked after loads in the past.
    This beauty that does not or cannot "talk" is pretty cool.
    very affectionate. I was more concerned that something was wrong with
    him but he has no signs of stress whatsoever and has been like that
    since he was born.

Our main House cat "Paddy" is a silent enough type also.
    He Can make noise when he wants to but chooses not to . He rarely meows
    he purs fine but if he wants attention he uses is paws and claws to
    make noise rather than his voice.

Makes a pleasant change from some of our others that are VERY vocal
    and demanding.

~B

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my gran has a stray cat that she took in years ago and we were only talking about the fact that it is mute on sunday. He doesnt even purr, he is very friendly and happy likes to be around people, just doesnt make a sound.

one of the kids caught him in the door on saturday and he never made a sound, the poor thing.

maybe he just doesnt have anything to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

One of mine is 14, I have had her since she was a baby and have literally only heard her meow about 10 times. She just chirps and "burrs" but is in general very quiet. The funny thing is she purrs like a lawnmower!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Forgot to mention on my first post ours actualy tries to meoww and make
    noise but he cannot. so he is not staying quite by choice he actually
    tries to make noise.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

We had a cat (Harvey) couldn't speak, He made his demands or needs felt in other ways, You need to and probably do, read him differently to your other cats. Harvey would scream silently at the window until we let him in, fed him, ect.
    Because Harvey was deaf, he also had a problem with his balance and instead of jumping ontop of the TV, He'd slap onto the side of it and slide down looking really confused. It doesen't mean He's unhappy, just different. Of all the cats I've lived with, Harvey was the most mermorable one. His difference gave him the personality we loved so much. Enjoy your cat and his difference, because in time to come He will be the one with the biggest personality. Enjoy it while you've been entrusted with it.

Advertisement