Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Industry, future growth

Options
  • 01-10-2007 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,
    ive got several years experience as a developer on mainframe systems(IBM). However i feel removed from the more modern technologies which are out there.
    I hear a lot about different languages and technologies but ive no idea of which skills are most sought after nowadays in the dublin market in particular. im currently living in the UK but plan on moving home if possible.
    I guess im looking for an overview of the software industry in dublin/ireland but in particular im wondering:
    what are the best technologies to get skilled in and why?
    is the market for developers hot over there at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok this is purely from my side of the house, the big bad world of the microsoft technologies

.NET is particularly popular and quite lucrative. But it requires a bit of experience in it to get the decent money. It still is not up to the pay levels of UK especially London tho.

Other people here will be able to tell you about the other stuff that is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I've a few years ASP.net development under my belt and was looking for a developer position a few months back. There's a lot of demand for .net development and the money seems to be good... although I ain't earning it yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The market definitely looks a lot healthier for the job seeker - though still not sure how many jobs advertised online are either fakes to get the CVs in, or just duplicates. I spotted the same job advertised twice, but slightly differently with the same agency, and advertised again with a different agency. And the job's been filled.

Still, it looks quite good out there, especially for .Net developers as Ginger said. I don't know if Ireland has ever really been on a par with the UK for development jobs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I had an agency ring me last week looking for an update on my details. First question: Where are you working right now?

They must think we we're born yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 notouts

ok thanks guys. looks like .net is the way to go. maybe ill chance one of the agencies anyway. i can stop answering them if necessary. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it aint all just .NET, take a look at Eclipse RCP (Rich Client Platform) development with Java. A lot of companies are beginning to write software using this technology. It is a vast area with so many contributors adding to the plug-in nature of this type of development.

see more here

Advertisement