Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Irish- HELL

Options
  • 01-10-2007 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Just gone into fifth year, and after doing TY( a year designated three irish classes a week, where we got one all year), I am very very useless at Irish. I got a B in HL Junior Cert Irish, and this year have a different teacher, who, to put it mildly, is a bit of a psychopath.....certain things have happened in the class to earn her that title, I won't go into it more.

I'm having trouble in her class, as are classmates who did excellently in HL Junior Cert. This teachers pass rate is 80%, any lower and you apparently haven't learned any of what you were mean to.

For homework, she gives us the leamhtuicint and questions, just a page number, no explanations, and a warning to "Paraphrase". Its not liek i'm teh only one unable to do the homework, most of the class are.

Is it something I should actually bring up, or shuld i just realise that I'm not up to HL Standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Just gone into fifth year, and after doing TY( a year designated three irish classes a week, where we got one all year), I am very very useless at Irish. I got a B in HL Junior Cert Irish, and this year have a different teacher, who, to put it mildly, is a bit of a psychopath.....certain things have happened in the class to earn her that title, I won't go into it more.

I'm having trouble in her class, as are classmates who did excellently in HL Junior Cert. This teachers pass rate is 80%, any lower and you apparently haven't learned any of what you were mean to.

For homework, she gives us the leamhtuicint and questions, just a page number, no explanations, and a warning to "Paraphrase". Its not liek i'm teh only one unable to do the homework, most of the class are.

Is it something I should actually bring up, or shuld i just realise that I'm not up to HL Standard?

Its the teachers job to teach. She is obviously not doing that if she doesnt even briefly go through the answering procedure for the leamhthuiscint. With regards the 80% pass rate, the woman is definetely on something:rolleyes: . An A in Irish isnt easy so the woman obviously has rediculous expectations for the class.

If that **** continues, get your parents to give out like murder to the principal. It always works for me anyway if something in school isnt going right.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

learn your work and you should be fine.
    get a revision book.

try and learn new and common Irish words.

Irish is really easy if you can understand everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah, Irish is a really easy subject so to speak if you do the right things. Build up a vocab of phrases and seanfhocails (the list on on this forum up above is fairly good), watch a bit of TG4 as practise for cluaistuiscint and the oral, say watch Paisean Faisean/Ros Na Run etc once a week even from now til your leaving and you'll be nicely set up.

If you do all this the cluastuiscint and oral and paper 1 will be easy enough for you. The only bastard is paper 2, it's just cold hard learning off for paper 2 unfortunately. The only area's I'd point you to do a bit more on are the Triail if you do it and the stories, they're possibly the easiest places to score marks on in paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Do not drop down.
    It could come back to haunt you in future years if you do.
    I'm currently repeating my Irish 10 years after my leaving.

If you have to, get some grinds to keep you on top of things.
    Try your best to put in extra effort to decipher her stuff.

I really regret not doing HL Irish now when I was at school, because I honestly believe with a little bit of effort I could've got my c3, & saved myself all this hassle now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

I'm afraid you are going to have to do most of the work yourself. Irish isn't as difficult as many people think.

The first thing you should do is learn basic gramatical rules, even if you think you know them, about urus, hs and the tuiseal ginideach, go over it. I have these excellent sheets at home that tell you all this and show u every phrase that uses the tuiseal ginideach and how the words change. i didnt leanr this off by heart but everytime im not sure of something i check it on the sheet, and i learn it that way. Most people lose their marks on gramtical mistakes.

When you have the grammar down, learn the verbs.

Learn, past, present, future and modh conoilleach. Then leanr those yokes 'deirteat, cuirfear, dunadh, togadh etc' dunno what they r called.

After that then just learn a few phrases and you're set. as the alds said watch tv and listen to the radio as gaelige. mayb get ur hands on an irish cd and put in on your mp3 and listen in your spare time.

If you got a B in HL definitely don't drop down. Im only in 5th year, but i think I can say without over-confidence that im on course for an A1 so it's not as bad as it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

if you got a b in junior cert you should be fine. you'll get at least a C in the LC. i was in the same postion. got a b in the junior, for fourth and fifth i was getting Ds and now in sixth year for some reason im getting As and Bs in most of my tests. dont worry about it too much i should come to you by sixth year. just take LOTS of notes in fifth year.

Advertisement